In order of importance... Post-PPL training options

woodchucker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
woodchucker
It won't happen until next year probably, and one at a time, but planning ahead. What would you consider the most important additions to the PPL experience?

In no particular order:
*Glider
*Acro
*Backcountry (I'm based in Utah if it matters)
*Taildragger thingie
*And of course, IR

Everything is available fairly local except for maybe the bc stuff.

The IR is normally the next step, but it isn't entirely important for where I live. Nearly every day is VFR, and if it's not I can watch tv or work on a puzzle or something.

IR helps at night too, acro would be nice, how about helicopter?

I try not to fly at night, but I don't mind it either. VFR at night is really kind of fun ... so long as the fan keeps turning. No interest in helicopters. Those things just don't look safe. :D

I really couldn't afford a helicopter add-on, and I'm not flying for money. Just for fun.

I'd add on endorsements first such as tailwheel, complex and high power. They are quick and easy compared to adding a rating. After that it all depends on what you want to do as far as flying is concerned. You might want to invest in a mountain flying course if you fly around the big rocks much.

After my ASEL, I added MEL as my CFI at the time gave me a good deal. Then I added ASES which is a ton of fun. I am currently working on my commercial SEL. One of these days, I plan on my IR but it requires so much work and I am somewhat allergic to that.

I'd add on endorsements first such as tailwheel, complex and high power. They are quick and easy compared to adding a rating. After that it all depends on what you want to do as far as flying is concerned. You might want to invest in a mountain flying course if you fly around the big rocks much.

After my ASEL, I added MEL as my CFI at the time gave me a good deal. Then I added ASES which is a ton of fun. I am currently working on my commercial SEL. One of these days, I plan on my IR but it requires so much work and I am somewhat allergic to that.

I doubt MEL is in the cards within the next 10 years. I'm in it for the slow haul. I didn't include the seaplane add-on because water is not a large factor here in Utah.

I remember though, reading through an Outdoors mag at a doctor's office, and some guy retired early and flew charter fishermen to local spots. What a job, huh?

I doubt MEL is in the cards within the next 10 years. I'm in it for the slow haul. I didn't include the seaplane add-on because water is not a large factor here in Utah.

I remember though, reading through an Outdoors mag at a doctor's office, and some guy retired early and flew charter fishermen to local spots. What a job, huh?

Yeah. I really wasn't planning to get my MEL at the time until my CFI/aircraft owner cut me a great deal. Yep, flying around all day from lake to lake sounds like a very fun job.

Go for the tail wheel,for a fun endorsement,then the IR.

Yeah. I really wasn't planning to get my MEL at the time until my CFI/aircraft owner cut me a great deal. Yep, flying around all day from lake to lake sounds like a very fun job.

It's all in who you know and what is available. Unless something falls out of the sky, the MEL is well into the future (maybe never). That ASES would be a blast... maybe someday?

Without knowing what sort of flying you do, it's hard to know how to prioritize the IR. For me, I didn't want to be trapped in the hot bumpy air every time there was a broken 3000 summer day, nor did I want to be grounded when ceilings were 1500 but there was no adverse weather associated with it.

But I like to go places, and not be overly constrained by a few clouds. If I was content to fly when the sky was clear, and only go where the clear skies let me, then of course an IR wouldn't be very important.

You also have to invest in continuous training to maintain your IR skills. I have an instructor with a good sim rig nearby who I work with every 2-4 months, which really helps. YMMV.

I'd say none of the above. Go explore. Take long trips and cross countries if haven't already. Use your PPL!

The most important addition:

Experience. Go fly and don't worry about the next rating/endorsement. As you fly and get experience, the answer of what's most important (and it varies from person to person) will present itself.

Jordan, Ed: totally agree. Since getting my license I've been on four trips that are 200+ nm away from home, and was lucky enough to squeeze 3 PnP missions in there as well.

I will continue getting out there, but it's relatively easy to fly from Point A to Point B with the proper planning. Disclaimer: stuff does go wrong, I know. On the last trip had some weather issues, including a 7 hour delay.

I only ask the question because I want to keep my flying skills up to date, make improvements by challenging myself, and have fun at the same time. Plus, I have to say, I really really want to go inverted. I've tried in the 172 ... it just won't quite do it! ;)

Experience. Go fly and don't worry about the next rating/endorsement. As you fly and get experience, the answer of what's most important (and it varies from person to person) will present itself.
This. I would add that I think the best recommendation is to get checked out and fly different airplanes than what you got your PPL in.

As you gain the general experience, you can start narrowing down an prioritized plan for future training/ratings/endorsements.

I have to say, I really really want to go inverted. I've tried in the 172 ... it just won't quite do it! ;)

Well, start out in a slight descent and then as you raise the nose back to level...:nono: :D

My order will be

1. HP/Complex
2. IR
3. Multi

I'd say none of the above. Go explore. Take long trips and cross countries if haven't already. Use your PPL!

Since you need the 50 hours of x-country time for the instrument. I'd say do the above.

Not sure what you have available to rent for taildraggers. Given your location a good mountain flying course may be beneficial. It's entirely up to you and what sounds like fun to you. I did the HP/Complex/Tailwheel before the instrument, but I was also building x-country hours for the instrument.

I would do glider training first, it teaches us a lot more about aerodynamics, energy management and preservation and off-airport landings.

IR is great too since it makes us better pilots as well.

Then add other ratings in order of fun-factor, IMO. :)

Back