I'm proposing a new name for EAA

Brad Z

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Z
Nomex flight suit ain't gonna cut it for this thread, I'm wearing full NFPA approved turn-out gear for this one, but here's a semi-serious question....is it time for EAA to change it's name?

I know there was a lot of unhappiness with the change from "Confederate Air Force" to "Commemorative Air Force" but sometimes change is inevitable. There are discussions about doing away with the term experimental airworthiness certificates for certain types of aircraft (such as kit built aircraft) and instead awarding a "permit to fly". But even more important, EAA goes beyond experimental aircraft in general, and is more about flying as an "experience" rather than a way to get somewhere.

How about "Experiential Aviation Association"? It's still "EAA", but more accurately describes it's mission, particularly with young eagles and the desire for flying that brings a smile and a sense of wonderment to the person in the aircraft.

Yeah, I know, people will confuse "Experiential" and "Experimental" but to many, the organization sounds like a bunch of old guys tinkering with old, cobbled-together project planes.

OK, Let me have it...

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, people will confuse "Experiential" and "Experimental" but to many, the organization sounds like a bunch of old guys tinkering with old, cobbled-together project planes.

If it quacks like a duck...

Wow....so all those placards will need updating? :confused:

to read....."Experiential Aircraft".....:D

Except (in my experience), that's what it is. :D

At the chapter where I live now. Most of those old guys don't even fly.

I think they should just drop the words from it entirely. Everybody in Wisconsin just calls it "The EAA" without knowing much other than it's a bunch of out-of-staters dropping in to look at airplanes.

Except (in my experience), that's what it is. :D

At the chapter where I live now. Most of those old guys don't even fly.

And I hope leadership knows that's not a long term strategy. How many members of your local chapter will still be flying/alive in 10 years?

"Experimental Aircraft" Association
A Retractile Man Prefix
A Carpal Retirement Fix
A Recent Premarital Fix
A Maniac Expert Trifle
A American Expert Flirt
A Replace Fart Intermix
A Mercantile Trap Fixer
Tax A Farce Lime Printer

sadly....that's the new PC world we live in. :(

The original name was meant as a joke, which sort of lost context over time. Most importantly, the organization relies heavily on fund raising, and controversy is a bad thing when trying to get money, particularly from corporate donors. As they say, "no bucks, no buck rogers"...

"Experimental Aircraft" Association
A Retractile Man Prefix
A Carpal Retirement Fix
A Recent Premarital Fix
A Maniac Expert Trifle
A American Expert Flirt
A Replace Fart Intermix
A Mercantile Trap Fixer
Tax A Farce Lime Printer
A Replace Fart Intermix
this one, please.

I'm pretty sure if they hadn't changed it back in 2002, they most certainly would have changed it last summer.

Haha no kidding! But then Trump would have changed it back. :D

I thought the change for the confederate Air Force Made sense. Why should a Northerner like me contribute to a Confederate organization? And I imagine my colleagues of more recent African ancestry want nothing to do with Confederate anything. Moreover, Commemorative Air Force actually matches the mission, since they aren't flying Southern aircraft, they're flying old ones.

I actually agree to some extent, the umbrella under which EAA operates includes way more than homebuilts.

I actually agree to some extent, the umbrella under which EAA operates includes way more than homebuilts.
and considering the latest STC certification activities.....it's growing even more....I'm encouraged with more coming too. ;)

Nomex flight suit ain't gonna cut it for this thread, I'm wearing full NFPA approved turn-out gear for this one, but here's a semi-serious question....is it time for EAA to change it's name?

I know there was a lot of unhappiness with the change from "Confederate Air Force" to "Commemorative Air Force" but sometimes change is inevitable. There are discussions about doing away with the term experimental airworthiness certificates for certain types of aircraft (such as kit built aircraft) and instead awarding a "permit to fly". But even more important, EAA goes beyond experimental aircraft in general, and is more about flying as an "experience" rather than a way to get somewhere.

How about "Experiential Aircraft Association"? It's still "EAA", but more accurately describes it's mission, particularly with young eagles and the desire for flying that brings a smile and a sense of wonderment to the person in the aircraft.

OK, Let me have it...
Existential Aircraft Association so it covers all the aircraft that anyone ever dreamed about.

I have no grief with the word Experimental. But if I were to choose a different E word, I would go with Educational because I think it covers what EAA does - YE, building, formation/acro, even warbirds.

Still, feels like a solution looking for a problem.

I'm pretty sure if they hadn't changed it back in 2002, they most certainly would have changed it last summer.
The name was a little misleading anyway. How many airplanes were there during the Civil War? ;)

"Experiential" is way too new-agey. I'd go for "Exponential", since that's the growth in numbers they want. :rofl:

I kinda like Educational Aircraft Association. Might suffer a bit for the lack of punctuation, sort of like the phrase "Its lunchtime lets eat grandma".

Last edited:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Experimental Aircraft Association works fine for me (EAA #115792 - 1965).

I think my placards do say Experiential. I can't spell to good and the guy that did the work wanted to charge extra for M's.

I always wondered about AOPA. Is it for people who are both aircraft owners and pilots or is it for people who are either of the two?

Back