I'm OK, but plane is broke.

I didn't get that hitting a stripe, that's why I believe hitting the runway was what happened. Even if I can't say for sure, the evidence is there.

I didn't get any. When I was there the next morning, the runway was in use.

Hmmmmm.. You destroyed a front wheel on a certified plane, the FAA investigator make a report and there is no pics of the incident..:dunno:..

This is starting to sound a bit fishy...:rolleyes2:

Hmmmmm.. You destroyed a front wheel on a certified plane, the FAA investigator make a report and there is no pics of the incident..:dunno:..

This is starting to sound a bit fishy...:rolleyes2:

The FAA will take photos but they will not release them with out a freedom of info request from you/owner.

I didn't get any of the Fairchild either because I wasn't carrying my camera, but several others did, and forwarded them to me.

It'll be at west bend another day or two. Part should be in today, and i'm taking it over as soon as i get off work. I might move it, but hartford is a nice airport.

Hmm, we've looked at the shear strength of the bolt, but I'm betting it busted on tensile strength when the wheel jammed through the fork....

We went over blackholes flying to OSH on the night cross country, and over some of the small lakes from Hartford to West Bend. I've never heard of Sheepshead. Funny thing is my mechanic says we landed short, as did the mechanic at West Bend. But my main instructor, and the FAA inspector aren't so sure. The CFI I was with didn't believe we landed short, too. So who knows what happened. But the wheel damage looks like it hit something.

What if the bolt failed slamming the wheel and tire into the fork bending the wheel and causing the rest of the failure. Was there any skidmarks on the runway? Where is the blue paint on the tire from?

So the plane was supposed to be ready to go today. When they went to conduct the return to service flight, there was a really bad vibration, shimmy of the left main gear during taxi. So now they are going to pull the main wheels off and take a harder look at the gear itself.

So the plane was supposed to be ready to go today. When they went to conduct the return to service flight, there was a really bad vibration, shimmy of the left main gear during taxi. So now they are going to pull the main wheels off and take a harder look at the gear itself.

We all knew that was coming... :yes::yes::rolleyes:

We all knew that was coming... :yes::yes::rolleyes:

Not going to disagree. Like I said before, hope for the best but expect the worst. At least the parts I bought were all serviceable and were a really good price. Meeting with the insurance guy Sunday, so I'll see what he has to say.

Sorry if you posted about this before, but at one point you were planning on not filing a claim, has that changed, because it looks like this may become more involved. Hopefully not.

Sorry if you posted about this before, but at one point you were planning on not filing a claim, has that changed, because it looks like this may become more involved. Hopefully not.

I set a dollar amount where I would have just paid out of pocket. Between this new development, and having them fix some things that weren't related to the landing, this is going to put me over that threshold.

I bet those mains struck that runway edge too, and bent one of the axles.

Or the busted-off nosewheel hit the brake disc and bent it.

I can't believe it will be as simple as replacing a nosewheel fork. Big bangs usually cause lots of other little bangs.

Dan

As I said way back in the beginning: take a look at the four main gear bulkheads under the floor if it hasn't been done already. If one of them is cracked or tweaked it's not gonna be an easy job. I swear that the Cessna assembly line must start by setting those four parts on a table and then building the rest of the airplane around them.

Last edited:
As I said way back in the beginning: take a look at the four main gear bulkheads under the floor if it hasn't been done already. If one of them is cracked or tweaked it's not gonna be an easy job. I swear that the Cessna assembly line must start by setting those four parts on a table and then building the rest of the airplane around them.

That is what the next step is going to be. I decided to file a claim with insurance and told the mechanic to do what he thinks needs to be done.

Fast-forward to the next pre-buy:

"Any damage history?"

"Well, a nose tire blew out once . . . "

Yeah. But this plane was flipped on the ground during a storm once. Like I said before, this one wants to fly.

This is the airplane I learned to fly in. It's still on the register and still flying.

Cub58H_after_twister.jpg

Well you'll notice that the gust lock on the rudder seemed to have done it's job, I think that's the only thing that wasn't tweaked.

This one is flying too

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 55
What did they salvage other than the tire, wheel and data plate?

Seems the tires and data plate are the two most valuable parts on a cub... last I looked those tires were like $300 a piece and only minted for special occasions.

What did they salvage other than the tire, wheel and data plate?

That hit so hard that it broke the engine cases, bent the crank (visible) not much was reused.

Last edited:
Don't know if it's been said yet, but have you submitted a NASA form yet?

This is the most amazing story, and you are one lucky guy.

I would have bet $10,000 that it was not possible to shear the nosewheel off of a GA plane without damage to the prop, engine, and firewall.

Go buy a lottery ticket, cuz your luck is running strong! :D

Well...that is how he won the plane!

Why did the axel cups that protrude thru the strut not hold the wheel in place?

That only applies to the Goodyear nose wheel. The McCauley has a 3/8" dia rod, threaded and drilled on each end, with a couple of spacers inside the forks. AN nuts (plus washers if the fairing is removed) hold the rod in place, and Cotter pins keep the nuts from backing out.

The pic shows that the rod broke and gouged the inside of the left fork as it twisted up and back.

The ELT wasn't a part of the aircraft's production certificate, the wheel pant is/was.

Dunno about later planes, but early 150s came in several models, based on optional trim packages. The equipment list shows the base aircraft, the combined weight of the optional trim as a complete package (listed by item number), then the items individually.

The same equipment list applies to all 150s of the year, then mix and match such things as reclining (yeah, right!) seats, optional instruments, etc. The wheel fairings are listed individually (nose and mains) and are optional equipment, added for some models and not others.

When I brought my 150K home, it had the mains faired and the nose gear hanging out in the breeze. I put on the nose fairing and flew it, then took all of them off.

Back