I'm officially an instrument student!

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by Rebel Lord, May 18, 2017.

1. Rebel Lord

Rebel Lord Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rebel Lord
    Took my first instrument instruction (albeit ground instruction) I'm really hyped and spirits are high! :)

Anyone have story's from their instrument student days they want to share?

overdrive148 likes this.
  2. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Get some actual IMC time. It makes a big difference.

FlyingJ likes this.
  3. luvflyin

luvflyin En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    I was doing the NDB approach to SAN. It was straight in to RW27. Had it nailed, I was feelin good. Instructor says take off the hood and look. It was the Naval Hospital at Balboa Park. I'm wondering, how did that get way up here. We chatted about that a little. When scheduling the next lesson he told me to write 50 times "Thou shalt not descend below the minimum descent altitude until thou haveth the airport in sight" and bring it in. He was serious. I dideth it.

4. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    What Jordane said. Flying in the goo is different enough than under the hood that the exposure to it as a student is valuable.

5. Rebel Lord

Rebel Lord Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rebel Lord
    My instructor is not afraid to go up into actual so I'm looking forward to my chance to go into the clouds.

6. iamtheari

iamtheari Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    Make friends with private pilots with current medicals (flight review currency optional) to be safety pilots. Don't use them to build hours until your instructor says you're ready to practice specific things with a safety pilot, but have them ready to go. My rating has gone really slowly between "learn it all with instructor" and "have enough hours for the test" because it's been hard to find safety pilots with free time to go blast holes through the sky. Maybe you will be able to get all 40 hours with your instructor in a reasonable time, and that should be your Plan A, but don't go in without a good Plan B in case your instructor gets busy. Probably most CFII's also have day jobs.

7. somorris

somorris Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    somorris
    Another thing to consider is doing some of your training after dark.

Congratulations and way-to-go in deciding to go after the rating. Even if you wind up not using it a lot, it makes you a safer pilot and helps you to understand the system. Fly as frequently as you can, but don't plan more than an hour or so at a time. You get worn out from all the mental and physical stress. I could really tell the difference in my flying on the gages if life got in the way and I missed a week or so. Study when you aren't flying, and have a good time.

8. FlatPiglet

FlatPiglet Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlatPiglet
    We're all instrument students...even after many years with the ticket :) Congratulations, you are on the next step of a fun journey. +1 to getting as much actual as you can. And a home sim, even a simple one, can be super helpful in learning procedures etc.

9. Ventucky Red

Ventucky Red Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    John S
    Yes:yeahthat:

Did all of mine after dark during the week... a.) my favorite plane was always available and never had to worry about getting it back for someone else, b.) my training was in the Los Angeles basin... ATC was not too busy and very accommodating (back-course into KSNA being one) c.) my instructor and I had regular daytime jobs and this turned out to be a great "happy hour" for me. With this, we got in some great actual time as well due the late afternoon early morning marine layer.

Flying IFR under the hood is one thing, flying actual IFR another, but flying actual IFR at night... a real confidence booster for me. Nothing like popping out at about 600' with the runaway lights lined up and saying "land here - land here - land here"

10. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    Agreed, train after dark and go up in IMC as much as you can. The airplane still flies the same but the psychological factor is not negligible.
    And find out how well you can tolerate and recover from spatial disorientation.

11. SbestCFII

SbestCFII Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    CFII Scott
    Good for you! You're lucky to have someone willing to go up in actual. That is the best way to learn. You should blog your instrument training experience.

12. mtuomi

mtuomi Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    Actual is fun. It also tends to be a lot easier than under the hood.

13. MAKG1

MAKG1 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    MAKG
    Depends on the actual. Moderate turbulence in actual is not easy at all. Marine layer is.

14. mtuomi

mtuomi Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    Moderate turbulence under the hood isn't easy either.

15. EminiTrader

EminiTrader Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Emini Trader
    Make sure you do some 0/0 take-offs. Very interesting :)