Im like a kid with a new toy!!

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Since I got my instrument rating, the weather has pretty much given me every opportunity to use it. I used to be nervous flying in IMC but for some reason now it actually relaxes me and I have more fun with it. In the last 3 days I've had 3 flights pretty much all IMC and I'm still on a rush from how freaking awesome it is!!!

IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1003.JPG IMG_0998.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 70
I'm not sure it's a good idea to be snapping photos on an approach.

I've had several GFC700 glitches, and I think you're trusting it too much. You're 0.2 miles from an ILS FAF. Would you notice if it drifted off or if your altitude got below minimum, or if it didn't descend, while you're snapping your photo? You should be checking your altitude at the FAF, not snapping photos.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's a good idea to be snapping photos on an approach.

I've had several GFC700 glitches, and I think you're trusting it too much. You're 0.2 miles from a LOC FAF. Would you notice if it drifted off or if your altitude got below minimum, or if it didn't descend, while you're snapping your photo?

Phft, where's your sense of adventure!

172? Even if I did take that picture, its dead on LOC, GS, smooth as glass, and awesome! Don't be a buzz kill.

Like a 182 is any different....

Yes, it's on now. Will it be in 10 seconds?

Having taken thousands of photos from the back seat of a 182, I know what the view looks like.

Apparently he does not know all. keeps saying the T206H is a 172. Ill take the little wins when I can. After all, I'm an Auburn fan so its not like I win often :)

And why does it matter what kind of airplane it is?

You definitely shot all of those photos from the front left seat, while about to pass the FAF on an approach, in the clouds.

You put too much faith in that autopilot.

Look, it may be a buzzkill, but an autopilot glitch at that instant when you're not paying attention can kill you. GFC700 glitches are NOT rare, and neither are automation surprises for new instrument pilots. Things get close by, both in time and space, during instrument approaches. Aviation is not forgiving of errors in general, but it's particularly bad at the exact instant you chose to shoot your photos. The only worse spot would be approaching MDA. Let a passenger shoot the photos.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? 100 knots at 15 gallons per hour? I knew those things burn hella gas but... seems extreme.

Am I missing something? 100 knots at 15 gallons per hour? I knew those things burn hella gas but... seems extreme.

This one burns fuel. 28/24 at 8,000 is about 20GPH. Expensive little bugger but I love it.

mully ,you have come a long way since i joined POA ,but are still new to the game . flying single pilot hard ifr "having fun" sounds like a risky mindset . think about it.

mully ,you have come a long way since i joined POA ,but are still new to the game . flying single pilot hard ifr "having fun" sounds like a risky mindset . think about it.

You have a great point but keep in mind I have set my personal minimums extremely low and continued my training with my instructors long after getting my ticket and IFR. Still talk to them all the time and fly with them all the time. My progression is a result of lots of hard work and lots experience with them in similar conditions prior to me doing them on my own. They agree that I'm not doing anything outside of my comfort and capabilities so my training, learning, and progress will continue!!

You have a great point but keep in mind I have set my personal minimums extremely low and continued my training with my instructors long after getting my ticket and IFR. Still talk to them all the time and fly with them all the time. My progression is a result of lots of hard work and lots experience with them in similar conditions prior to me doing them on my own. They agree that I'm not doing anything outside of my comfort and capabilities so my training, learning, and progress will continue!!

You mean "high" minimums, but even so, I looked at that approach (ILS 24 at Birmingham), and you have two large obstructions 800 feet below you, one of them almost directly underneath. If you get lost on the missed, there are 2000 foot obstructions you can't see. I think you're fooling yourself. You're a new instrument pilot and you don't know what kind of trouble you can get in yet.

You're betting your life on that autopilot by not watching it carefully. It can and has killed people doing that. Let a passenger take the photos, and treat that autopilot like it's trying to kill you. Because it is. Hopefully you'll find your first glitch in VMC at 5000 AGL like I did. If you're not so lucky and it happens at 800 above obstructions in the clouds, we'll be reading about your crash wondering what happened.

The issue is that your "comfort" zone is a bit larger than it should be. It's complacency. What would you do if your autopilot suddenly wound the trim all the way nose down at that particular instant? Looking out the left window, you would also get disoriented during your "WTF" moment as you swung your head to the PFD to see what the hell it was doing.

Last edited:
What would you do if your autopilot suddenly wound the trim all the way nose down at that particular instant? Looking out the left window, you would also get disoriented during your "WTF" moment as you swung your head to the PFD to see what the hell it was doing.

On the bright side, the NTSB would have photographic evidence of the A/P error.

You mean "high" minimums, but even so, I looked at that approach (ILS 24 at Birmingham), and you have two large obstructions 800 feet below you, one of them almost directly underneath. If you get lost on the missed, there are 2000 foot obstructions you can't see. I think you're fooling yourself. You're a new instrument pilot and you don't know what kind of trouble you can get in yet.

You're betting your life on that autopilot by not watching it carefully. It can and has killed people doing that. Let a passenger take the photos, and treat that autopilot like it's trying to kill you. Because it is. Hopefully you'll find your first glitch in VMC at 5000 AGL like I did. If you're not so lucky and it happens at 800 above obstructions in the clouds, we'll be reading about your crash wondering what happened.

The issue is that your "comfort" zone is a bit larger than it should be. It's complacency. What would you do if your autopilot suddenly wound the trim all the way nose down at that particular instant? Looking out the left window, you would also get disoriented during your "WTF" moment as you swung your head to the PFD to see what the hell it was doing.

While I appreciate all of your insight, you are probably making assumptions that I am either alone or the only rated pilot in the front seat. While that may not change your opinion, having all of the facts can paint a different picture. It is very important to know the facts instead of going off of pure assumption. But I do appreciate the fact that you care about our safety!! Thanks :)

Great photos! Have FUN with that instrument rating. I'd rather it be fun that a detestable slog. Fun and attentive can easily go hand in hand.

Don't BS. It's very easy to tell back-seat photos in a restart-172.

And your second photo can be determined front-left in any 172 or 182.

Those are fighting words for a 206 driver

Another voice in favor of absolute focus at the FAF in IFR, regardless of who's sitting beside you or what bird you're flying. @mulligan , we all have friends who have died in little planes, and you have a handful of pilots on this thread who are worried that you're over complacent. Please hear it, even if you don't believe it.

Great pics! Gotta love that avionics package! Got the same stuff in the front of my 182T!

And side note many not agree with but personal confidence goes a long way. Trying to diminish ones confidence regresses learning and prevents advancement. Please don't talk down to people if you guys don't agree with it there's a right way to go about it that doesn't involve talking down to someone.

wow. I guess it makes up for that in payload.

That is the ticket. Not ideal but we are a family of five and the Mrs. could not decide which kid to leave behind so approved the T206H over all others that we looked at. She basically had us all sit in a bunch of options that could handle our mission and said this was the one that we were all comfortable in considering head room and shoulder room. When the Mrs. says yes, you stop asking questions and move forward.

That is the ticket. Not ideal but we are a family of five and the Mrs. could not decide which kid to leave behind so approved the T206H over all others that we looked at. She basically had us all sit in a bunch of options that could handle our mission and said this was the one that we were all comfortable in considering head room and shoulder room. When the Mrs. says yes, you stop asking questions and move forward.

Yes indeed. That there's wisdom.

Wow, aren't some of you guys a little bit too tough on the OP?
Following some of the expressed logic, one should also avoid touching the radios, nav, GPS, or copying clearances at all costs. All of those tasks take at least as long as to snap a quick picture.

Even though I personally like to keep the cockpit sterile and try to minimize distractions when I fly an approach, it is not like that the plane would go inverted during the 2 or 3 seconds it takes to snap a picture. Not even in planes without an autopilot.

What is hard IFR? Only because he is in the soup? Even if the conditions and the approach were challenging: Why not have fun doing it? I learn the best, when I enjoy what I am doing and when something is a bit of a challenge. I know quite a few pilots who think that flying IFR is 'not fun' at all. Guess what? They not only stopped learning, most of them either entirely stopped flying IFR or, even worse, do it only every once in a while. Needless to say, that they are then stressed out, not proficient and the entire flight is another negative 'not fun' experience for them.

[...] And side note many not agree with but personal confidence goes a long way. Trying to diminish ones confidence regresses learning and prevents advancement. Please don't talk down to people if you guys don't agree with it there's a right way to go about it that doesn't involve talking down to someone.

Exactly. Personal confidence and enjoyment are directly linked to a positive learning experience.

Looks like s still picture from a go pro video taken by his cap mounted go pro. Thats my story and I'm stststststickin to it

Back