I'M ABOUT TO BECOME A PILOT! Light Aircraft Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me this is a text book "Hazardous Attitude" kind of pilot.., if he thinks he could fly a 152/172 in one day I'm sure one hot summer day he'll be in Tahoe with a plane loaded to the max saying "shoot! We got this no problem!"

Afterall, it looks easy on Youtube lol!

Sigh....

Humbling to see all of the contributing comments, very much appreciated. Great read with a lot of perspective. Thank you.

I think you should take a flying lesson in a rented plane with a CFI and get back to us on that.

LoL I just might...

Yep, there is nothing cheap about flying and everybody wants your money. Our world has come to the point where the majority opinion is that the accumulation of wealth is the meaning of life. The nice thing about that is it means you can buy other people's time which is in fact priceless.

Thing is, you can spend all the money you want on aviation, and you will still have to work every bit as hard and spend the same time to learn.

The advantage money gives you is efficiency in time getting to full ability.

Exactly I will be using this to my advantage until we see an entire reform of our world economy which will for sure not happen with Obama nor within the next 100 years ( A lot of you might disagree, but ultimately our world is a joke. We were better off on buggies, but we can not dwell on what should. A great man once said " work with what you got "

Regardless of ability to learn or information transfer, the single most important point here is that an Mooney R probably can't take the beating that a student pilot will give it.
One bad landing that a 172 will shrug off, will put an M20R in the shop for expensive repairs.

The analogy is like learning to drive in a manual Lamborghini. Can it be done? Yes. But one curb check (that a Chevy Malibu wouldn't notice) will require replacing expensive parts.
Plus, the challenge of learning in a high-performance sports car (with bad turning circle, clutch like a tractor, limited visibility, too many controls, etc) actually limits the ability to learn the fundamentals of driving.

Can it be done? Sure! How much to you want to spend? Is it the best way to do it? Probably not. Start with a trainer that allows you to learn the envelope and margins in a forgiving airframe, one that allows you focus on flying the wing and learning the basics.
Then step up and learn the systems and complexities while you aren't having to divide attention and learn the fundamentals at the same time.

That is a great point. Can not disregard.

It sounds to me like you have lots of money to spare, and hopefully can put away some of your bravado. Everyone here has good advice for you, and really wants you to succeed. Some of this is selfishness, we all want new pilots to join the group, but do not want to see accident reports. Learning to fly is a process much like learning to walk. What you want to do is go from the stage of a baby laying in a crib unable to even sit up to running minimarathons by the time you are five. There are some who can pull that off, but not many. For the rest of us mortals, we have to go through the process of learning, and to do this correctly this takes time. There is a reason someone earlier brought up the fact that 80% of those who start pilot training do not finish and the majority of the 20% that eventually gets their PPL take more than 40 hours. Furthermore, once you get your PPL there is more training that is needed to do what you want to do, minimally getting your IFR, and even on top of that to be a good pilot you need to fly regularly, and more so if you want to stay proficient in IFR conditions. Flying is a hobby that literally can take over your life.

If I read correctly what your purpose in flying is, to be able to get from point A to point B without using the airlines, then your may be better served chartering a plane, or using ground transportation. If your goal is to become a pilot and fly for fun and business, then doing it the proven way, strarting off in a trainer and progressing like most of us, is probably the best way. Remember pretty much all those astronauts, and fighter jocks started flying in single engine trainers, too.

Bravado is me on my bike, lights to the sky at 160mph then maxing out at over 200, regularly. I am just being blunt is all. I mean no disrespect to any of you pilots. I have no time to play games and waste countless hours on something I already know I will never fly other than maybe training.

An EMS in a 152?

The general concensus, unless you're about to enlist in military training, is to
1. Learn the fundamentals
2. Learn the fundaments very well
3. Then learn something else

Remember me in your will

$250,000 for a new 172 is cheap? I repeat - remember me in your will

Out of curiousity - what do you do for a living? How long did it take you to become reasonably competent?

If you are speaking of my little knowledge in aviation. I have only been researching for a little over a week. It is disrespectful to quote like a journalist, anyone can piece together a few words from a comment to make one look ignorant. Anyway I'll put you in my will, but you must do the same for me.

Also EMS = Engine Management System

Henning, I think 70K is on the light side for what he envisions doing (shrug) but it is his money.
Our local industrialist made the same decision about 7 years ago (tempus fugit, so does memory).
However he did it right. He got trained in a Skyhawk, using the CFI/FBO as his second crew member on business flights while learning to fly.
Then rented the plane heavily for about three years, often having the CFI/FBO fly with him into sketchy weather.
Then he bought a Skylane and flew the wheel pants off it for about 2 years, or so. Then he moved into a new Corvalis and put a thousand hours or so on that in roughly a year and a half.
He just took factory delivery a week ago on a spanking new Meridian and plans to put a thousand hours on that.
His familiarization flight in the Meridian, with an instructor, was to fly the family to Florida for a vacation over Christmas and New year. He and the instructor will fly off the hours the insurance company wants while down there, and when he gets back he is free to fly the plane.
After a thousand hours in that he intends to move into a turbine.
He is one of the few "yuppie" types I have seen over the decades that I feel has his head screwed on right and will do fine.

I'm going to be around here for awhile so we will see what I am capable of soon. Not saying I am going to be a trusted pilot right off of the start, but I will be proficient. Take it slow, finish hard. When I receive my curriculum I am sure that I will memorize it to the point where all I will have to do is implement my knowledge and let my skills build.

He did it one way, the cheap this quarter way that takes lower concentration of effort, it works, but it's a decade before he gets to full capability. The lowest cost, fastest way to get to full capability is buy your last plane first and hire a pro to fly with you until you're up to speed. That length of time will largely be determined by effort, however he is under no press because he has a pro with him. Just the costs involved in 'trading up' planes 4 times will buy another plane.

I agree and everyone has their own image of things. That particular image is what his friend felt right. I am trying to take my image and refine it to the best of my liking.

Probably the first thing you'll learn is that you aren't nearly as good as you think you are. There is a whole lot of overconfidence going on. No, it isn't that easy.

You may feel it is overconfidence, but this is just who I am. I am going to prepare myself for flight and fly. There is nothing hard about it and it is inevitable.

Worthless? No. Not at all.

Learning to fly is learning to fly. Takeoff, landing, flying straight and level, navigation, etc. Pretty much a basic skill set.

Would time spent learning to drive a Chevy be worthless when you buy a Lexus?

FWIW, my old man learned to fly in a Navion... It's your money.

Valid point even though the transition between aircraft and cars is like night and day, compared to day and day / night and night, but I do get your point.

Learning to fly a plane and learning to be a pilot are two very different things. Pilots can deal with situations that arise because they have the experience to think rationally through situations that arise. People who just fly planes get themselves (and often their families) into a lot of trouble in the same situations.

I'd ask if you're looking to fly a plane or become a pilot. Either one is ok, but if it's the former, please leave your family on the ground.

Ok I will.

Something tells me this is a text book "Hazardous Attitude" kind of pilot.., if he thinks he could fly a 152/172 in one day I'm sure one hot summer day he'll be in Tahoe with a plane loaded to the max saying "shoot! We got this no problem!"

Sigh....

Yes I am most definitely sure that I am going to be in Tahoe on a hot summer day with a plane loaded to the max quoting the rehearsed lines you've set forth. When you wake up and wipe the drool off of your face you can feel free to try and get the proper insight of things as their have been numerous respectable comments such like yours that got their point out by not belittling like an adolescent. I can not wait to hear what great contribution you have to offer besides trolling.

Sight, then sigh.....

You probably could fly in one day, many can. The idea is to fly well and fly safely in the best airspace travel system in the world.

For your primary flight training, there's alot to be said for getting into the highest complexity plane that you can take a PPL checkride in. I say that because you plan on a CFI being with you.

You'll learn your bigger, faster bird more intimately and so why mess with stuff you'll not fly anyway?

I honestly feel I could jump in a Cessna 152/172 and learn how to fly it in 1 day. It looks pretty easy from the youtube videos I watch, maybe people tend to overwhelm themselves, but if you all feel that this is truly the wrong route then I will jump in one of those Cessnas and get my PPL, but I do not see myself ever flying a cessna 152/172.

Could you get on even a CBR600 with no riding experience, and on day two hit the race course?

There is some fine motor skills to pick up related to flying.
Emergency procedures to learn.
Stalls are not to difficult to learn to recover. Do them uncoordinated and your in a spin. Now you have something else to recover from.

Just think of the 172s and the like as being the CBR600. I wouldn't want a first time rider on a CBR1000.

At least grasp the basics with the trainer, and then move on. I could not imagine a day of take offs, and landings, touch n gos, one after the other in the beginning with a complex aircraft. Some days your just burnt out. Yesterday everything was so easy, and today there is a good crosswind, and some convective turbulence bouncing you around. The last thing I would want is to be grasping the basics while having more to do.

Just my $.02. And I still have the new pilot smell. LOL! Welcome and good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You probably could fly in one day, many can. The idea is to fly well and fly safely in the best airspace travel system in the world.

For your primary flight training, there's alot to be said for getting into the highest complexity plane that you can take a PPL checkride in. I say that because you plan on a CFI being with you.

You'll learn your bigger, faster bird more intimately and so why mess with stuff you'll not fly anyway?
I think all of us pilots "learned to fly in one day." That is what the discovery flight was about. We all learned to fly somewhat straight and somewhat level. But as we all have said including you there is a lot more to flying than getting the plane in the air, getting it to where you are going, and getting it to the ground and even though three items are not always easy, even for pilots with thousands of hours of experience and training.

I think the OP needs to meet with a CFI and discuss his plans and learn what reality really is.

Doug

Doug

Sigh....

Nah, just enthusiastic. Easy enough to temper that with a touch of reality on his first lesson.

Sigh....

Nah, just enthusiastic. Easy enough to temper that with a touch of reality on his first lesson.

Bingo. And, he doesn't yet know how much he doesn't yet know. But some people have a knack, and others don't. The OP will be finding out soon enough. (Assuming he finds his Mooney in the near future ( Barnstormers.com ) ).

I'm sure the video of me taking off in my LSA looks stupid easy. I sit there doing nothing and the airplane goes straight down the runway. But with a nosewheel pilot in charge of the footrests, it has been much more entertaining...

:rolleyes2:"Bravado is me on my bike, lights to the sky at 160mph then maxing out at over 200, regularly. I am just being blunt is all. I mean no disrespect to any of you pilots. I have no time to play games and waste countless hours on something I already know I will never fly other than maybe training. "

Something tells me this mindset will carry over into ones flying career..."Me blazing throught the sky at 180knts maxing out at 200, regularly" and I wonder how much CFI input might fall into the "waste countless hours"

Please tell me you will be flying on the east coast away from the airspace I tend to use over here on the west coast.. BTW, I did wake up with drool, how'd you know? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My suggestion:
Shop first for a CFI. Explain your goals. Seek compatibility. Adopt a learning attitude. Then take a few lessons in his/her favorite trainer.

THEN you will be in a much better position to decide on a training path and aircraft acquisition.

Good luck, and welcome to what, for me, has been a challenging and very rewarding endeavor.

In my own case, I am glad my first few lessons and first solo were in a tailwheel aircraft. I think it made me a better pilot.

Last edited:
Lol I love the all the comments. You have no idea how much insight you have all given me, before I was having trouble pinpointing exactly what should be done. What I am going to do is a few introductory flights on the 172, SR22, and M20R. I have a reputable Mooney instructor less than an hour away so I will soon find out in real-time what all the aircraft above have to offer. Only plane I can not find locally or in distance is the Cessna 350.

At the end of the day this is more or less a hobby, obviously I understand a light aircraft can not replace a jet and I also do not travel everyday. For those short trips on nice days I would like to take my light aircraft and enjoy the ride, like I said I always wanted to fly. Maybe even if I can diffuse the airliners by 25% and pick up a new hobby at the same time all will be well for me. In 5-7 years I would like to own a Jet, now if I do this I might as well open a charter to balance out some of the costs involved. I would have a good amount of business as I could contract out to a lot of friends, but before I take on a venture like that I would like to get my feet wet with some experience and knowledge. Not to mention even without the contracts I have 16 people working for me as of now with covered traveling expenses, not too bad, but who knows.

:rolleyes2:"Bravado is me on my bike, lights to the sky at 160mph then maxing out at over 200, regularly. I am just being blunt is all. I mean no disrespect to any of you pilots. I have no time to play games and waste countless hours on something I already know I will never fly other than maybe training. "

Something tells me this mindset will carry over into ones flying career..."Me blazing throught the sky at 180knts maxing out at 200, regularly" and I wonder how much CFI input might fall into the "waste countless hours"

Please tell me you will be flying on the east coast away from the airspace I tend to use over here on the west coast.. BTW, I did wake up with drool, how'd you know? :rolleyes:

Lol. Edit a few more times maybe you will get it right :lol: - My nerd, you can not even quote properly, grammar is equivalent to someone lacking a GED yet you persistently troll like you are the best thing to ever happen in aviation. Learn how to quote, learn how to speak properly, learn how to properly acknowledge one and show some respect because with all of your " sighs ", " rolleyes " etc just makes you look like an attention craving little girl. You will not get me flustered and ultimately you are just making yourself look close minded and confrontational. Or are you just a flamer

Lol I love the all the comments. You have no idea how much insight you have all given me, before I was having trouble pinpointing exactly what should be done. What I am going to do is a few introductory flights on the 172, SR22, and M20R. I have a reputable Mooney instructor less than an hour away so I will soon find out in real-time what all the aircraft above have to offer. Only plane I can not find locally or in distance is the Cessna 350.

At the end of the day this is more or less a hobby, obviously I understand a light aircraft can not replace a jet and I also do not travel everyday. For those short trips on nice days I would like to take my light aircraft and enjoy the ride, like I said I always wanted to fly. Maybe even if I can diffuse the airliners by 25% and pick up a new hobby at the same time all will be well for me. In 5-7 years I would like to own a Jet, now if I do this I might as well open a charter to balance out some of the costs involved. I would have a good amount of business as I could contract out to a lot of friends, but before I take on a venture like that I would like to get my feet wet with some experience and knowledge. Not to mention even without the contracts I have 16 people working for me as of now with covered traveling expenses, not too bad, but who knows.

Call the nearest Cessna dealer, they'll likely come to you to demo it, Columbia sure did, I thought it was a nice plane, I flew the 400 on a demo, slick stuff. The Cirrus is a fine plane as well, but of the SE planes piston planes I'll take the big bore Mooney and put glass in it any day over the other two. The The biggest bonus the Mooney gives over the other two is crash worthiness, and in a SE plane that's important to me. In the Mooney you are sitting on top of and strapped to one of the strongest structures in the industry.

Last edited:
Oh yeah: Forget openning a charter deal, they hassel of getting a 135 certificate and the costs involved which START with 10xs insurance costs make it prohibitive as a 'hobby business', and most lease back deals to 135 operators are just there to slow the bleeding and often make the losses even worse.

iGoHigh:

Private Pilot training is really an amazing thing. You go from virtually zero aviation knowledge to being able to fly whatever you want, wherever you want with little restrictions (one of them being you can't fly for hire). The last thing you would want to experience is information overload, psyching yourself out and perhaps losing some of that enthusiasm you have. I'd do yourself a favor and atleast learn to land/solo in a fixed gear/fixed prop aircraft.

$0.02 from a lowly 22 year old private pilot.

Please tell me you will be flying on the east coast away from the airspace I tend to use over here on the west coast..
:no::no::no:
Stay off the East. Maybe somewhere in the Middle, or Alaska!

Only if your flying the way Pinstriper stated. Otherwise, welcome.

Last edited:
??? I don't care where other people fly, it's part of my job to not let them hit me, I don't abdicate that.

Where are you located? I'm sure there are will be a number of pilots in that area on this board who can point you in the right direction of the best places to find the aircraft you're looking for, as well as recommend great CFI's :yes:.

I think the missing bit of insight is that we have to make it look easy to pass the checkride. If we can't, we're not safe.

There are few complex skills you can learn in dozens of hours. How long did it take you to learn to drive? That was SUBSTANTIALLY simpler. And few of the skills transfer over. Nothing says "newbie" like trying to taxi with the yoke. And then not turning and whanging a wingtip.... Or even worse, stepping on the wrong rudder pedal.

You'll find that most pilots you'll run into know they don't know everything, even after thousands of hours of experience. This is why your "bravado" (and yes, it does appear to be that, despite your protestations) comes across so badly. Think of a private pilot certificate as a "license to learn." It doesn't mean you know everything. It means you have enough skill and sense to keep from killing yourself and others around you. And yes, you can fail a checkride for stupidity even if all the physical tasks are perfect. Virtually all of us have done some learning after the checkride, sometimes quite a lot of it.

Much of flight training is dealing with emergencies and unexpected behaviors. My most significant real scenario was a carburetor icing event while waiting for takeoff on a 60 deg day. 400 feet off the ground, the engine stumbled. OK, what do you do? Hint: turning around to go back to the runway you just left is just about the worst answer. And you only have a few seconds to make a decision before it gets made for you.

Last edited:
1. I know what an EMS is. Your comment assuming a 152 had one installed completely astonished me.

2. You still haven't answered my question about what industry in which you work, what your position is, and how long did it take you to become reasonably competent to reach that position.

Lol. Edit a few more times maybe you will get it right :lol: - My nerd, you can not even quote properly, grammar is equivalent to someone lacking a GED yet you persistently troll like you are the best thing to ever happen in aviation. Learn how to quote, learn how to speak properly, learn how to properly acknowledge one and show some respect because with all of your " sighs ", " rolleyes " etc just makes you look like an attention craving little girl. You will not get me flustered and ultimately you are just making yourself look close minded and confrontational. Or are you just a flamer

No way did I personally attack you, I merely edited to add the drooling part..(you said it) .. One thing I found in my personal quest to obtain my pilot's certificate is that I had to put my personal opinions aside and listen to my instructors tell me how and what is best to do.
Some folks seem not to be able to take criticizing in what they do.. And you will find that your CFI is they to critique your every move to make you a safe pilot and not there trying to put a student down..

The students I ran into that seemed over confident/mightier than thou were the ones who struggled the most in their quest (burning through CFI's and FBO's) that being said something tells me with all your success and skills your might fall into that category...
On a side note why not just take your training in Florida by enrolling in a course and get your ticket in a week? Then just go plane shopping? (That's the fast forward method)

Oh ya.. I'm hand pecking on my iPhone so excuse the grammar (spell check etc)

Last edited:
Call the nearest Cessna dealer, they'll likely come to you to demo it, Columbia sure did, I thought it was a nice plane, I flew the 400 on a demo, slick stuff. The Cirrus is a fine plane as well, but of the SE planes piston planes I'll take the big bore Mooney and put glass in it any day over the other two. The The biggest bonus the Mooney gives over the other two is crash worthiness, and in a SE plane that's important to me. In the Mooney you are sitting on top of and strapped to one of the strongest structures in the industry.

Oh yeah: Forget openning a charter deal, they hassel of getting a 135 certificate and the costs involved which START with 10xs insurance costs make it prohibitive as a 'hobby business', and most lease back deals to 135 operators are just there to slow the bleeding and often make the losses even worse.

I think I will do that, call Cessna. There goes my charter idea, lol. Mooney I also really like from what I read, it is my number 1 choice, but I will give them all a try.

iGoHigh:

Private Pilot training is really an amazing thing. You go from virtually zero aviation knowledge to being able to fly whatever you want, wherever you want with little restrictions (one of them being you can't fly for hire). The last thing you would want to experience is information overload, psyching yourself out and perhaps losing some of that enthusiasm you have. I'd do yourself a favor and atleast learn to land/solo in a fixed gear/fixed prop aircraft.

$0.02 from a lowly 22 year old private pilot.

Far from lowly, I believe our generation, the ones who want too are the ones that are really going to change this world for the better. Highly doubtful we will see any kind of reform, but most definitely will not see any significant change for 20-25 years to be optimistic, I personally think this will be the most grueling next 25 years as far as jobs and world economy in general. I feel we will see some kind of world currency here in the near future ( 10-15 years ), including a world peace treaty with terrorist control. I believe that a lot of our peers are not so easily manipulated thanks to the uprising in such an evolving technological world. We basically experienced the rise of evolution at its best, majority because of technological advances now are multiplying to a point where we have no idea what we can truly do and for the most part everything newly discovered is kept secret. When I was just 5 I had a 50cc motorcycle and a computer lol, I mean ISP's began to emerge right around when we were born, that being said we are realistically the first generation truly exposed to an unlimited amount of information for as little as $6.99 a month.... I can only imagine our kids.... or grandkids.... wow

MAKG1 - How often to mishaps like yours happen on a 1000 hour basis? I have read a lot of the " lessons learned ", but for the most part they are in-particular tales of past mishaps. I have never read a rough average of critical times in approximately 1,000hrs. Also I will give it everything I have to learn everything I can and get my PPL. I will succeed and there will be no bravado, I will make my instructor proud.

1. I know what an EMS is. Your comment assuming a 152 had one installed completely astonished me.

2. You still haven't answered my question about what industry in which you work, what your position is, and how long did it take you to become reasonably competent to reach that position.

The EMS was regarding the Mooney. I do not like your attitude nor do I feel obligated to answer you.

No way did I personally attack you, I merely edited to add the drooling part..(you said it) .. One thing I found in my personal quest to obtain my pilot's certificate is that I had to put my personal opinions aside and listen to my instructors tell me how and what is best to do.
Some folks seem not to be able to take criticizing in what they do.. And you will find that your CFI is they to critique your every move to make you a safe pilot and not there trying to put a student down..

The students I ran into that seemed over confident/mightier than thou were the ones who struggled the most in their quest (burning through CFI's and FBO's) that being said something tells me with all your success and skills your might fall into that category...
On a side note why not just take your training in Florida by enrolling in a course and get your ticket in a week? Then just go plane shopping? (That's the fast forward method)

Oh ya.. I'm hand pecking on my iPhone so excuse the grammar (spell check etc)

Mightier than thou? Get real buddy. Yes this is true, it is a known moral statistic that most people who talk about being fearless end up choking. I do not choke, I actually learned to rule out stress and fear in general. In my line of work I have been pressured so much that I now mastered emotion. I am emotionless during volatile times, I do not break, been there done that and proved the smartest of them wrong, I do have a lot to learn and am very receptive in doing so, but from the right people. To be honest I have gotten tired of proving people wrong, 7 years ago when I was just 17 years old everyone told me I was stupid and laughed at me, I even have the picture my grandfather had on his wall that my uncles wrote ( super slow - as in super stupid ). I keep that and look at it everyday. What I am saying is I have already surpassed a lot of your condescending type. You may try and act cool to me now which is cool thanks, I forgive, but clearly your prior remarks were that of arrogance...

Mightier than thou? Get real buddy. Yes this is true, it is a known moral statistic that most people who talk about being fearless end up choking. I do not choke, I actually learned to rule out stress and fear in general. In my line of work I have been pressured so much that I now mastered emotion. I am emotionless during volatile times, I do not break, been there done that and proved the smartest of them wrong, I do have a lot to learn and am very receptive in doing so, but from the right people. To be honest I have gotten tired of proving people wrong, 7 years ago when I was just 17 years old everyone told me I was stupid and laughed at me, I even have the picture my grandfather had on his wall that my uncles wrote ( super slow - as in super stupid ). I keep that and look at it everyday. What I am saying is I have already surpassed a lot of your condescending type. You may try and act cool to me now which is cool thanks, I forgive, but clearly your prior remarks were that of arrogance...

If you have already discovered that you are a 'time dialator- ultra calm reactor' to imminently fatal stress rather than 'freeze, disassociate, view from outside' reactor, you already know the answer to the most critical question regarding crash worthiness, your ability to fly the plane all the way into the crash till it stops. IMO, that is the difference in a lot of very similar accidents on why one set survives and another dies and you wonder why. BTW, I'm pretty sure that's not a 'mastery issue', rather how we are wired to deal with stress. Either party gets to die calmly, get the CVR transcript from Air France 447, there were three disassociation type pilots in that cockpit, no fear or panic obvious, they just didn't do anything. At 12,000' the kid flying said "This is really happenning."

If you have found a technique for training this reaction, I'd appreciate hearing it. Luckily for myself I found out long ago that I calm down, my brain goes into hyper speed and I think about all the details and things I need to do to minimize the deceleration in the crash as it's occurring.

MAKG1 - How often to mishaps like yours happen on a 1000 hour basis? I have read a lot of the " lessons learned ", but for the most part they are in-particular tales of past mishaps. I have never read a rough average of critical times in approximately 1,000hrs. Also I will give it everything I have to learn everything I can and get my PPL. I will succeed and there will be no bravado, I will make my instructor proud.

Carb ice is a function of conditions -- generally, high humidity. Low temperature is not necessary. It's a risk factor every time you idle the engine, which will happen at almost every landing. Moreso in some aircraft than in others.

Almost everyone has at least one "oh ****" moment in training.

Flying is not like other things. You have no idea what your reactions will be until you get there. I seriously doubt you have "mastered emotion" at 24, or at any age for that matter. Just, that young, you don't know what you don't know. This is dangerous.

I was lucky to discover I didn't freeze when the aircraft did something unexpected, with an instructor on board the first time. The Cessna 172 go-around procedure says to pull flaps to 20 deg immediately. As a landing was not going as expected, I initiated a go-around and missed that step, on a fairly long but obstructed runway on a hot day. The aircraft wouldn't climb that way and just hung 50 feet off the runway at full power in slow flight. I eventually figured it out and pulled up the flaps before I hit the cement plant, far enough ahead that my instructor didn't jump in. Before that, I had no idea how I would respond to a potential emergency.

This time, you're not going to "prove people wrong." You're not better than everyone else, especially with zero flight time. Period.

It's curious you haven't mentioned what line of work you're in after being asked so many times. The attitude and lack of actual detail sounds more than a little like a manic state, with little connection to reality. Untreated bipolar disorder is a medical disqualification. It's not terribly hard to treat with medication, and the special issuance medical isn't impossible either, but it takes time and significant effort.

Last edited:
I recognize the guy quite well, he's got a gift and it's carried him nearly flawlessly till now, and the flaws were survived. Aviation will be very good for him, it will instill a bit of humility in the face of nature, the only power we need humble ourselves to.

The EMS was regarding the Mooney. I do not like your attitude nor do I feel obligated to answer you.

I'm truly impressed by your rock-solid confidence because half the people here have already offered legit suggestions that you've flippantly and arrogantly decried. You seem to accept/tolerate certain recommendations only when you no option, e.g. Part 135 carrier.

Since you have already commented in a most negative fashion concerning grammer, spelling and attitude of various posters here, let me remind you that the context in which you listed the EMS was directly related to the 152.

At this point, you've become the daily amusement on the board. Most of us are now reading to see what your latest retort will be to various comments.

Well since we are story telling here I will introduce myself. At 17 I skipped college as I felt it was overrated for our current times as if this b*tch blabbing about how to succeed and make millions really knew how I'm sure she would. You are learning from a restricted source for the most part, someone getting paid a restricted salary with restricted means. Unless you go to an ivy league college it is pointless and my family did not have the money for a school like that even with the partial scholarship, but I did get a full ride to a University. Skipped that for an internship at the CBOT at 17 with help of my best friends Dad in which I became the managing analyst ( 3rd highest position out of 60 ) for the S&P 500 ( e-mini futures ) in 5 months time with absolutely 0 support from my family. From there I was at the CBOT working for the futures firm all the way up until the merger of the mercantile exchange in 2007. From there I opened up my own firm ( individual no outsourced investors ), overtime I start sponsoring ivy league graduates under contract and have built a team of 16 all whom of which graduated with honors. Most my travels will be east. Happy flying Mr. Pinstriper, lol

When I was young and stupid I thought I was indestructible and knew everything just like. Boy how wrong was I!

I'm truly impressed by your rock-solid confidence because half the people here have already offered legit suggestions that you've flippantly and arrogantly decried. You seem to accept/tolerate certain recommendations only when you no option, e.g. Part 135 carrier.

Since you have already commented in a most negative fashion concerning grammer, spelling and attitude of various posters here, let me remind you that the context in which you listed the EMS was directly related to the 152.

At this point, you've become the daily amusement on the board. Most of us are now reading to see what your latest retort will be to various comments.

Cool, cry about it Murphy... What do you want me to do? I already received a lot of great information and by the blunt remarks I commented back to a few was only in hopes to suppress future corresponding remarks. You are just as persistent in your quest of getting me to break. I do not care what you think Murphy, I am past you.

I couldn't access the smiley on my phone :( but while murphey runs to grab some beer I must throw this in the ring http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/alt-text-internet-arguments/

Ps, what happened to your grammar bud?

From the article cited:

"* If you make a reference to Honey Boo Boo, you lose. There’s no rhetorical basis for this, I’m just freaking tired of hearing about Honey Boo-Boo."

Anyone catch NPR on Monday or Tuesday when David B. was listing his bottom 5 worst TV shows? He's overjoyed that Jersey Shore is finally over, but the absolute bottom of the list (and even then, still rated too high - can we get negative numbers?) is HBB. He noted that the show is subtitled so the viewers (does anyone admit to watching it?) can understand what these people are saying.

I'm reserving front-row seats!
I thought we had a popcorn smiley around here?

Extra butter on the popcorn, please.

west_bend_3_qt_popcorn_bowl.jpg

Overcoming stress is good. I have found, however, that a little fear in flying is a good thing. It helps me make good decisions. I believe the most dangerous thing is a fearless pilot.

I don't think iGoHigh is trying to say he is going to be a fearless pilot. I think he was just trying to say that he is able to overcome stress, and fear. Or in this case, he would be capable of overcoming the hazardous attitude of Resignation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back