Illinois registration

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Illinois folks-
Just got the email that it's time to renew state registration. Of course state registration is complete nonsense, but since I'm a pathological rule follower, I went to the website. So I punch in my tail number and it pops back that I can't register because they haven't received evidence that i paid my sales tax.

Now this hits a nerve. I requested the sales tax form the week I bought my plane. The DOT sent it to me 4 weeks later, and I promptly returned it. Of course the Dept. of Revenue then charged me a several hundred dollar late fee for being beyond 30 days from the date of sale. After a few letters back & forth I paid it. I also made a call to my state senator and a few weeks later I received a refund in the amount of the late fee...

Anyway I'm already ****ed off about this crap and now it seems like the DOR didn't bother to send the paid receipt to the DOT, which explains why I don't remember getting anything from them. At this point I'm over it and don't want to put any more energy into it. So instead I'm spending probably the same amount of time complaining on the internet.

TLDR: Does anyone actually bother with Illinois aircraft registration?

Ill and annoy. Could have went to the dmv rather than requesting forms. Got hooked on a fee on vehicle sales tax for some bogus reason a few years ago. The less information this state has on me the better. Theyll booger it up and mismanage it somehow.

I did register with Illinois. The cost is so low as to make fighting it not worth it, and at least the state actually does support airports (except that incident on the lakefront).

I was concerned about the taxes with my airplane especially since I moved from MO to IL and so during the build, use taxes went to both MO and IL, and it was over a number of years. I sent a file with all of the forms and copies of most of the cashed checks. They were fine with that.

I did. No reason to really not. The cost was low enough.

I did mine this morning. $20 and done. Sorry yours is messed up. :(

I did register with Illinois. The cost is so low as to make fighting it not worth it, and at least the state actually does support airports (except that incident on the lakefront).

I was concerned about the taxes with my airplane especially since I moved from MO to IL and so during the build, use taxes went to both MO and IL, and it was over a number of years. I sent a file with all of the forms and copies of most of the cashed checks. They were fine with that.
Illinois support airports? Maybe it's because my home drome is "rustic" as Jim K has said. But I have never thought Illinois supported airports. Quite the opposite. When we flew out to look at my 180 at KAIO all 3 of us were dumbfounded as to why there's a beautiful airport in the middle of nowhere.

Jim, if you were looking for an amen you got it from me.

When I moved my Archer which I purchased and kept in WI while a WI resident and paid WI sales tax on into IL... IL found me and hit me up for the difference between what I paid in WI sales tax vs IL. IIRC .5% which amounted to a few hundred $. Not that significant but the principle of the thing still burns me. Then when buying the Lance just the difficulty and hoops you have to go through just to pay what you owe is obnoxious. The impression I get is there's a tiny office somewhere in Springfield with maybe a handful of people in it that exists just to process their aircraft tax and fees and mail you a pointless newsletter which I'm sure you throw straight in the trash like I do.

The one bit of good news is if you actually call that little office they seem to be able to figure things out and not give you the typical dismissive government employee runaround. At least the couple of times I've dealt with them they're pleasant enough I just think the policies and fees they enforce are absolute horse excrement.

Who knows, maybe Illinois will put the money to good use to do something positive, like... I don't know... build an airport on the Chicago lake front. I hear there is a nice little island that would be an ideal spot.
There was a mayoral candidate last election that ran on such a platform. I guess he wasnt woke enough however. Place brought in millions in revenue and made the skies safer. Oh well, now I can fly the lakefront without having to talk to anyone.

Well, in Illinois, if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing badly. :D Have you considered hangaring in Indiana?

Okay, I have no useful advice but kudos for getting a refund out the state. That right there is impressive!

Well, I decided to do what I usually do when I have a problem: Ignore it and hope it goes away. Which usually works.

Yesterday I got a letter from DOT reminding me to renew my registration. They have all the particulars of my plane. Except that it says it's a turboprop lol. Somehow they even know it lives at CMI. Maybe I told them that, I don't remember.

So I called the number on the website, and on the letter, and both go to voicemail and the message basically says "don't leave a message because we're working from home and not checking voicemail". So I sent them an email and will see what develops. Not holding my breath.

I’m curious what,if anything, happens if you keep ignoring it but I don’t want to be the guinea pig. :D

Virginia tried to come after me months after I bought (and paid the tax) on the Navion. Fortunately, the conversation went something like "Did you pay the sales tax?" and I said "Yes, I did." and the department of aero says "OK, then."

Illinois folks-
Just got the email that it's time to renew state registration. Of course state registration is complete nonsense, but since I'm a pathological rule follower, I went to the website. So I punch in my tail number and it pops back that I can't register because they haven't received evidence that i paid my sales tax.

Now this hits a nerve. I requested the sales tax form the week I bought my plane. The DOT sent it to me 4 weeks later, and I promptly returned it. Of course the Dept. of Revenue then charged me a several hundred dollar late fee for being beyond 30 days from the date of sale. After a few letters back & forth I paid it. I also made a call to my state senator and a few weeks later I received a refund in the amount of the late fee...

Anyway I'm already ****ed off about this crap and now it seems like the DOR didn't bother to send the paid receipt to the DOT, which explains why I don't remember getting anything from them. At this point I'm over it and don't want to put any more energy into it. So instead I'm spending probably the same amount of time complaining on the internet.

TLDR: Does anyone actually bother with Illinois aircraft registration?

Jim, I ran into the same problem earlier this year. I sent an email to the IL DOT (DOT.AERO@Illinois.gov) and was pleasantly surprised that they answered me almost immediately.

Here is the response I was given, hope this helps. Also, after I mailed in the printed application, I was able to go online and renew for 2022.

Good morning. We received your aircraft tax documents. They were forwarded to the Illinois Department of Revenue the same day as received. You do not need to fill out the bottom portion of the aircraft registration application where the tax info is concerned, since you have already prepaid them. But, in looking up your partial record, based on the tax information, the RUT-75 form number or the AW number is: AW000……. Just mark the box in that section of the form as “taxes paid.” If you need to get in touch with Revenue for any reason, just email: Mark.Russell@Illinois.gov

and he will answer any questions you have.

Otherwise, just complete the application and attach a $10 check to cover the registration fee for the rest of 2021. As soon as we receive your paperwork, we will enter the information, print and mail your aircraft certificate. If you have additional questions regarding registration, please continue to contact this website.

@Jim K just read this on my form:

Operation of an aircraft without proper registration of a Federal Aircraft Certificate with this Department is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $1000 and/or 1 year in jail.

How do you look in orange? ;)

I forgot yesterday was a holiday; found this in my email this morning:

"Good morning. We have cleared the error that you were getting, while attempting to register online. You should be able to continue with online registering. If there are still problems, please contact this website.

Thank you for being patient."

Now I kind of feel bad for the level of snark in my email to them....

Anyway, can confirm, there is actually an office within IL state government that is responsive.

Back