Illegal 121 Flight - No passenger briefing

MrAviator180

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MrAviator
Today, I flew on a carrier that flies between Seattle and Bozeman. I think we can guess what Seattle based airline this was.

The lead flight attendant was a crabby woman who didn't seem like she was mentally stable, or didn't like her job. She grumbled at every person who got onboard the aircraft and seemed to be a bit angry on the side. She never greeted the passengers like the company's employees normally did. :hairraise:

The thing that bugged me the most:

She didn't do a briefing. You know the "This is how you unlatch your seat belt," etc. None of that. Before we even pushed off the gate, she sat down in her jummpseat and strapped herself in...:idea:

Should I report this to the airline? It didn't seem right. I am a frequent flier and the flight was a bit strange.

Should I report this to the airline?

No need - late tonight while she sleeps she will be visited by the ghosts of FAA regulations past, present, and those yet to come. By morning she will be even more miserable than she was on your flight.

Did you forget how to buckle your seat belt or look for exits? I would have given her a tip. ;)

I just flew on Emirates from DXB to ADD. After parking at the gate in ADD the guy next to me could not figure out how to unbuckle his seatbelt, so he simply unthreaded the part with the flap (with great effort) and left the female buckle/flap part attached to the male end. I was at a loss for words.

Yea. Report to the FAA. Right away. Just because the flight attendants son had died the day before and she was on her way home to start the "arrangements" is no excuse for not being cheerful.

It does not sound like she knew her job, she must have been a terrorist who had just discovered she forgot the trigger for her Depends bomb.

-John

Is this thread a joke ?

I'd be thankful to miss a patronizing speech on operating seatbelts.

I would pay extra for this. Quiet....

Irritating = a certain Tempe, AZ based airline who has the flight crew pimping their credit card mid-flight.

Let it go....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irritating = a certain Tempe, AZ based airline who has the flight crew pimping their credit card mid-flight.

Let it go....

There's a difference between being interrupted and awakened 50 times mid flight and the MANDATORY safety brief given while still on the ground.

You missed the sarcasm. Fly often enough and it happens, most recently for me on a CLT - ORF low budget feeder flight. Not a peep on the PA after the pilot called 20 minutes out until the gate. No kidding.

Again, let it go. Don't be THAT know-it-all GA do-gooder that feels compelled to drop a dime....

You missed the sarcasm. Fly often enough and it happens, most recently for me on a CLT - ORF low budget feeder flight. Not a peep on the PA after the pilot called 20 minutes out until the gate. No kidding.

Again, let it go. Don't be THAT know-it-all GA do-gooder that feels compelled to drop a dime....

Or you can be that helpless sheeple in who goes quiet on everything.

I was just wanting to see whether it was an FAR in this somewhere that got violated. If GA pilots have to do it, shouldn't commuter airlines do the same?

I was just wanting to see whether it was an FAR in this somewhere that got violated. If GA pilots have to do it, shouldn't commuter airlines do the same?

Yes, the FARs were violated, not only that so were the airline's OpSpecs. Yes, EVERY flight is required a briefing, in fact, if you fail to do one on your PP check ride, you will fail.

No slip-up small enough that it can't be reported by some busybody :loco:.

Nobody ever listens to the briefings, so whether it happens or not has very little consequence for the safe conduct of the flight.

So she didn't greet you with the company required fake smile, I guess that requires retribution :mad2: .

maybe she was ****ed that people want to fly on Christmas day.

But nothing worth reporting to the airlines. And as far as it's the law, can you honestly say you have never broken the law.

Wait, you're in Alaska...where all pilots and crew follow the regs to the letter, 100% of the time.

Yes, it was likely a violation. Is it a safety issue? Sure, if there was a problem and someone on the flight happened to not know how to operate the o2 masks. That said, if this was a chronic issue, it will be addressed by the airline or the FAA eventually. Was there more than one FA? If it really bothers you, send a letter to the airline. No need to send your own tax dollars on search for wrongdoing at this point.

This sounds a bit similar to some of the other "GA pilot slash junior FSDO ops inspector" threads. Might be trolling too--after all, if you thought it was enough of an issue to start a thread here, surely you could have sent an email to the president of the airline. Might even get a coupon for a free drink on your next flight too.

Edit: I see you're in high school. With experience you'll understand what things in life can be forgiven, and what should be reported to the authorities.

Last edited:
Did you forget how to buckle your seat belt or look for exits? I would have given her a tip. ;)

I heard of a flight that caught fire, landed and evacuated. Many didnt make it out and died. They found several still sitting in their seats with seat belts on and broken thumbs.

The idea is that people resort to the law of primacy in an emergency and those people tried to open their belts the same way you do in a car...push.

Honestly, I don't know why they make pax belt the exact opposite of every single seatbelt 99.9% of the passengers have great experience with.

I heard of a flight that caught fire, landed and evacuated. Many didnt make it out and died. They found several still sitting in their seats with seat belts on and broken thumbs.

The idea is that people resort to the law of primacy in an emergency and those people tried to open their belts the same way you do in a car...push.

Honestly, I don't know why they make pax belt the exact opposite of every single seatbelt 99.9% of the passengers have great experience with.

If that were the case there would be passengers that could not get it off the plane period. :rolleyes:

Because they are:
- cheap
- light (=cheap)
- governed by a regulation.

Yes, the FARs were violated, not only that so were the airline's OpSpecs. Yes, EVERY flight is required a briefing, in fact, if you fail to do one on your PP check ride, you will fail.

I didn't do one and I passed. Should I report my DPE?

Because nothing in aviation changes that doesn't have to. I remember back when car seat belts worked the same as airline belts do now.

As Henning poits out, airplane seat belts work exactly like the original car seat belts worked. I'm sure there must have been some government mandate to change how car belts work.... But never made it into the airplane world.

I try, but my wife just gives me a dirty look and says she knows how to fasten and unfasten her seatbelt. :D

My answer to that is 'the law is the law' and that 'the feds' require me to pat her down :wink2: .

Can the CVR pick it up?

If she really didn't do one and they had an accident, lawyers would be all over that.

Let it go....

Frontier started doing that too. "...the most miles we have ever given..."

The airlines are getting to be like Best Buy.

Ill tell you what should be criminal...punishable by IMEADIATE revocation of the carriers certificate and a public flogging of the offending crew: Commercials over the PA inflight.

US Air was the first I noticed do this. 15 minutes of them telling me and my fellow pax about the benefits of the US Air Visa Card. On and on it droned on. I had earphones reading my book, but the speaker was right above me and try as I might I couldn't NOT hear their ad.

It's not fair to trap you in a plane and force to to listen to their commercials over a system designed for safety by personnel that I'm told I 'have to comply with' under penalty of federal regulations.

If they want that 'federal regulated compliance' shield to hide behind then they shouldn't be allowed to run ads with that authority. Can you imagine if your next traffic ticket was sponsored by Coke-A-Cola? Guy with a badge and a gun telling you how wonderful a beverage Coke is before he wrote you a ticket??

I call shananigans.

Didn't do one, didn't fail. First thing he said when we got in the plane "consider me briefed"

And you're supposed to give it to you passenger on a GA flight as well.

I typically do when riding with someone new, basically I tell them where the ELT is and how to turn it on manually, and how to pop the door open.

in fact, if you fail to do one on your PP check ride, you will fail.

I didn't - and I didn't. Of course, that was a lot of years ago, and the inspector was not that much of a stickler for minor details.

Back