Ignorant Homebuyer & Airplane Noise

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I am still steaming over an encounter with an ignorant doctor this past evening. I was riding my bike home from work, at Freeway Airport. New houses are being built on short final for rwy 18. Nice expensive homes without yards. A McMansion type of deal. I was wearing a Freeway Aviation shirt with the runway and an image of a plane flaring on the back. A gentleman was handing out flyers and basically blocked the bike trail to hand one to me. He introduced himself as xxxxx Cartenson, neurologist. I read it. I dismounted and couldn't believe this bullsh*t. It was a petition and reasons why Freeway needs to be closed.
#1 dangerous aircraft
#2 noise
#3 Rich people playing with their loud toys
#4 Unsafe (he had that twice)
#5, #5 is interesting. He had an argument stolen from stopthenoise.org

We deal with the unnecessary noise that is a direct consequence of unnecessary recreational flying. We believe that such activities force you to subsidize the hobby of some anonymous pilot by giving up your property, your privacy, your peace and your quiet so that a wealthy few may zoom about in their noisy little airplanes.
It is not our intent to shut down General Aviation. It is our intent to make General Aviation responsible to the public interest. We see the public interest as something other than the profitability of aviation and the enjoyment of a few barnstormers. We see the public interest as something other than a recreation industry that knowingly ruins the homes and lives of non-participants. We see the public interest as the re-empowerment of American property owners to be able to enjoy the peace, comfort and privacy of their hard-earned homes without the endless intrusions of aerial dirt-bikers.
We have no issues with high altitude transports. We certainly support activities such as Life Flight Air Ambulances, Angel Flight, Search and Rescue and other emergency services. We may tolerate general aviation craft engaged in legitimate point-to-point navigation. What we won't tolerate are aerobatics, Sunday flyers, leaf peepers, and flight schools using our airspace as recreational sites or as industrial training areas for their personal profit and amusement at the expense of the private property owners and residents below.
This kind of noise doesn't "just happen". It is, without question, man-made. Therefore, someone is responsible. That responsible someone can be made to cease and desist.

I made sure that he didn't see the logo on my shirt and asked him some questions.

Q How are they dangerous?

A They're small planes that fly low

Q Rich guys? Those planes cost like 40,000 used, seen them on ebay.
A Those are experimental ones, the ones flying here cost millions.

Q How long have you had to listen to this noise?
A I just bought my house here six months ago. They began building it in July and finished two months ago. It's the white one over there.

Q Whoa is that a Maserati?
A Yes sir! My wife wouldn't let me have a Ferrari so we split the difference

Q Awesome, so when you were planning the house you didn't see any planes?
A We did and the realtor mentioned that there is an airport down the road but these planes shouldn't fly over our property.

Q Are they breaking the law?
A Not yet but it is annoying and noisy. I tried getting the police to do something but the officer said that it's the same as a motorcycle driving by.

Q Have you gone to the airport? Maybe learned about aviation?
A No, those idiots are company I will not associate with.

Q So you're rich, just bought a nice 620k house, have a BMW and a Maserati, bought a house knowing that those small planes fly about 400ft above you everyday 8am-8pm in summer and you're upset over the noise?

A No they make noise and fly over my property. I own everything upward of my land line.

Q But you do make a good amount of money and bought a house knowing there was an airport within walking distance?
A Well yes but like I said, we shouldn't have to deal with the planes.

Q So those rich guys have million dollar planes and putt around for fun?
A Exactly!

Q You do realize how much Freeway Airport is worth, what jobs it creates, the training it offers, and the amazing amount of good done by it?
A Why are you for it? It needs to go, this isn't 1980.

My reply: I am a student pilot, aircraft mechanic's apprentice, aviation advocate, and an aspiring airline pilot.

His reply: Well join the Air Force son,learn to fly there. You don't f*cking deserve to endanger me and my family. You have no right to. I didn't know they let coloreds fly those, how are you even paying? (THIS ****ED ME OFF EVEN MORE) I didn't know they even taught people how to fly there. I'm going to include that, that's even more dangerous. They probably let women fly since you guys can. :mad:

I got back on my bike and rode away. I don't want to deal with that crap from an ignorant and idiotic person that KNOWINGLY buys a house not even a mile from an airport! Racial and sexist remarks, hell no.

One day he will meet someone that he rubs the wrong way. Doesn't matter what race. Still though, HOW DO YOU BUY A HOUSE .65 MILES FROM AN ACTIVE GA AIRPORT AND COMPLAIN!?!?! :dunno:

* On a related note a family friend's husband recently refused to fly on Delta and is trying to get everyone he knows to boycott it. He had a 757 flight at KBWI and when the crew greeted him he saw the flight crew. The crew consisted of an African American Male Capt and a Caucasian Female FO. He remarked that a "n****r monkey and a woman" aren't going to fly his plane. He's a professor in business at a local community college. Go figure...teaches diversity in the workplace courses. :rofl:

I found the headline for his flyer at stopthenoise.org:

FAA is an organization of General Aviation pilots tasked with policing, among other things, General Aviation. FAA has become corrupted due to this conflict of interest.

Did you hand him his sign ... as in "here's your sign"?

I love what the officer said.

What really scares me though, is these kind of people usually hold power in government, because they have money, and we all know money = power. What we can do as pilots is to work together. So I would keep an eye on these people, and see if they make any progress. If they do, I'd walk around your airport and get some people interested in fighting against them, especially the ones who drive a Mercedes home from the airport.

#3 Rich people playing with their loud toys

As opposed to a sports car owned by this guy...

I would have asked him how often he heard of a GA aircraft crashing into a neighborhood. Yes, it does happen. Yes, you will find many results on Google. Maybe 50, at most? Compared to the over 600 automobile accidents that happened an hour ago?

I'm not saying the good DR. Is right, but we as aircraft owners could certainly be better neighbors if the FAA would allow manufacturers to build mufflers for the aging aircraft fleet that didn't cost more than the plane. Straight pipes on an internal combustion engine? Really? We don't allow motor cycles or cars to drive around the streets like that, it is illegal.
Airplanes get a pass? Why?

My Rotax 912 has a muffler system that makes the plane very quiet. Europe has noise restrictions on airplanes hence the Rotax was designed with one. With today's technology mufflers could easily reduce the noise level by 1/2 and not get the I public all ****ed off.

It would be a step in the right direction and a compromise for all.

I know my position won't sit well with POAers, but I think the time has come to put mufflers on airplanes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the world is full of people both book smart and non book smart that show their true lack of intelligence in many ways. Unfortunately, as well, many of these people are in positions of power, presumed or real, and find a myriad of ways to make life difficult for the rest of us. They tend to be in the minority, but also tend to be most vocal. Few if any of them are educatable, or reformable, and the best thing to do with them is to pat them on the head and treat them like the two year old they really are.

Usually, they just tire out and go on the rant and rave about something else the next day, week, or month.

The problem with this approach is sometimes their rantings and ravings get traction, and make things worse for the rest of us. The solution :dunno:...

Doug

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the world is full of people both book smart and non book smart that show their true lack of intelligence in many ways. Unfortunately, as well, many of these people are in positions of power, presumed or real, and find a myriad of ways to make life difficult for the rest of us. They tend to be in the minority, but also tend to be most vocal. Few if any of them are educatable, or reformable, and the best thing to do with them is to pat them on the head and treat them like the two year old they really are.

Usually, they just tire out and go on the rant and rave about something else the next day, week, or month.

The problem with this approach is sometimes their rantings and ravings get traction, and make things worse for the rest of us. The solution :dunno:...

Doug

The solution is mufflers. ;)

Wow, that is really unacceptable. I don't know how you held it together so well. I can't say that I would have been able to do the same. Don't let this JO get to you. He my friend is an idiot and needs to find a different place to live.

Personally, I would go to great lengths to make this guy's life miserable, starting with a complaint to his employer and the licensing board.

Follow up with a call to the police to report his disorderly conduct (blocking the bike path).

Now is the time to start having open houses at the airport, fun public events and education to start growing local public support for the airport. Don't wait for this guy to create a group and file a lawsuit! The pilot community at the airport needs to go on the offense immediately. Apathy by local pilots thinking no one will listen to the crazies that built right by the runway has caused the closure of many fine airports!

Consider this guys statements to be the warning shot in a battle for the life of the airport.

So you buy/build a house next to an airport and are surprised there are airplanes in the area? Seriously??

People never cease to amaze me.

You did well. I probably would have told him that his IQ was too low to be a doctor. Bought a house near an airport, and then complains. I had no sympathy for such idiots before I learned to fly. What's worse is that this total nincompoop breeds and votes.

I'm not saying the good DR. Is right, but we as aircraft owners could certainly be better neighbors if the FAA would allow manufacturers to build mufflers for the aging aircraft fleet that didn't cost more than the plane. Straight pipes on an internal combustion engine? Really? We don't allow motor cycles or cars to drive around the streets like that, it is illegal.

My Rotax 912 has a muffler system that makes the plane very quiet. Europe has noise restrictions on airplanes hence the Rotax was designed with one. With today's technology mufflers could easily reduce the noise level by 1/2 and not get the I public all ****ed off.

I know my position won't sit well with POAers, but I think the time has come to put mufflers on airplanes.

You really need to spend a little time finding out about the planes you fly. Both Lyc and Conti do have muffler systems and the main part of the nosie comes from the prop.

Stephen Stills or David Crosby recently said something similar to:

I long for the day when the color of a man's skin makes as little difference as the color of his eyes.

Unfortunately, here, in Missouri, I won't live to see that day...and neither will my kid. Its an amazingly ignorant redneck racist state. All one can do is try to educate.

This conversation needs to be published in every paper that will cover it, including the name and address of the doctor. Those kinds of remarks will shrink his support.

And how does his prejudice affect his ability to perform his duties? Does he do a better job on white males than anyone else?

They do have mufflers. For the most part they are really not that loud. But I guess if we make more laws and fines that will fix it.

Well then, if Europe is doing it then hell it must be a good idea, lets elect a queen and king while we are at it, and then our new royal family will be the only ones that can fly.

No one is against compromise, but this guy clearly moved to an area where this activity takes place.
Maybe someone could move next to his practice and then petition to the public to have him closed because there is too many sick people around you and its dangerous.

SO maybe you could come up with a better design then the current mufflers that are already installed.

The guy needs to be punched. Repeatedly.

Unfortunately, it will only get worse.

And how does his prejudice affect his ability to perform his duties? Does he do a better job on white males than anyone else?

A) Based on his statements, I would argue that you have described a likely result.

B )Who cares? He's trying to hurt me, I'm going to try to hurt him.

Last edited:
Find out what yoga class his wife is in. Have an affair. Be sure he finds out. She gets the house. He will be in an apartment near the railroad tracks and have a whole new set of complaints.:lol:

Find out what yoga class his wife is in. Have an affair. Be sure he finds out. She gets the house. He will be in an apartment near the railroad tracks and have a whole new set of complaints.:lol:

That beats the hell out of my muffler idea. :rofl:

You really need to spend a little time finding out about the planes you fly. Both Lyc and Conti do have muffler systems and the main part of the nosie comes from the prop.

You really need to use spell check. ;)

Noise is an undesirable sound.
Nosie is a gossiping neighbor. :lol:

Your condescending point is taken, but most of the noise is from the engine, not a prop turning under super sonic. Every heard an engine on a dyno test stand? :no:

Last edited:
Screw spelling, toucj sfreens are the end of spelling. Being next to a test stand is diferent then having one fly overhead. Prop noise is significant, there are quieter props available for towplanes. The loudest airplanes at GA airports are usually big singles mismanging cs props.

We have the same problems here in Montreal. The airport just south of the city , St.Hubert CYHU has been in existence since the 1930s, it was the import for the city and a training base during WW2...... Now the area has been developed and the exact same issue is rearing its head.....NIMBYs buying land and building at the end of the runways and complaining about the noise....granted its a very busy GA airport but it's been there a lot longer than the homes....the city is to blame for zoning the area residential....and the buyers for actually buying at the end of the runway....BRAINLESS!!!! Same problem in the rural areas.....rich folks buying a piece of land off a farmer,building a million $ country-house and then trying to get the area farms closed down because of the farm smells......what as**oles!!!!

So you buy/build a house next to an airport and are surprised there are airplanes in the area? Seriously??

People never cease to amaze me.

It's embarrassing that people like this still exist.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

To the OP, I'm glad you kept your composure. It makes you look better compared to that guy who blew his top.

But seriously, you buy a house half a mile from an airport and then start complaining about the noise? That's like ordering a steak well-done and complaining that it's too done.

You really need to use spell check. ;)

Noise is an undesirable sound.
Nosie is a gossiping neighbor. :lol:

Your condescending point is taken, but most of the noise is from the engine, not a prop turning under super sonic. Every heard an engine on a dyno test stand? :no:

Yes, I've heard these engines on dyno test stands at the factory. I've also heard them on prop stands at the factory. I am very familiar with noise characteristics.

Most of the noise comes from the prop. However it is worth addressing both noise sources as appropriate. I'm all for making quieter planes. Less because I care about people on the ground, more because I care about my ears. Win win, eh?

Close all the airports. Who here would sign a petition to ban jetskis from their favorite lake? Close a local gun range or race track? Same stuff, everyone is willing to ban the other guys freedoms so I can't get excited about saving any of them. And no GA is not different, those poor little doggies could be driven to their new homes.

The loudest airplanes at GA airports are usually big singles mismanging cs props.

I'm sorry you ran into this guy. He sounds like a complete entitled lib.

anyway, I'd like to address this prop tip noise from CS props and mismanagement. I have one of those 88" long props and a CS system so it can get real loud at full throttle and full RPM. Very few HP plane owners will let their props overspeed. It's costly, because it requires an inspection if the overspeed is too high or too long. When you hear that bbbrrrrrraaaaaapppppp noise on takeoff, it's because like every other SE plane ever built we want to get max power from our engine/prop to get max performance during a critical stage of flight. It's not mismanagement in most cases, it's how the plane is designed to be used.

After takeoff and in the climb, most HP planes are pulled back to 2500, or 24, or even 2300. This isn't for noise abatement, it's to reduce the wear on the whole assembly because we generally don't need 100% power for more than a minute. In my case, I'll be at 2300 before the opposing end of the runway passes under me unless it's a very short runway.

On landing, most CS props are left at cruise RPM setting until down wind. Some people pitch them up sooner, but it's not fuel efficient and doesn't help the plane any so there's no need to pitch it up before down wind. At that point, the engine is still only turning ~2000 and makes no more noise than a fixed pitch prop.

As for tow planes, they have completely different jobs, so there's no getting around the prop noise on them. Also, the tow pilots tend to do anything they want with the prop control.

Just built the house? There's an ordinance in that county (which I testified in support of) requiring developers within the noise footprint of Freeway Airport to disclose that in the deed. Sounds like a real yutz.

Close all the airports. Who here would sign a petition to ban jetskis from their favorite lake? Close a local gun range or race track? Same stuff, everyone is willing to ban the other guys freedoms so I can't get excited about saving any of them. And no GA is not different, those poor little doggies could be driven to their new homes.

Agreed GA is no different. But I know that in my case, I'd not sign any petitions for shutting down gun ranges, drag strips, jetskis, etc.

.......A No they make noise and fly over my property. I own everything upward of my land line. :rofl:

Perfect.......
Someone needs to hire a ambulance chasing attorney and file suit against this guy...

Seems that a small cloud that was over his house developed into a strong thunderstorm and destroyed 10's of millions of dollars of other peoples property... Since he seems to think he owns "everything upward of my land line" His cloud is now liable for all damages.;):wink2::lol:..

The solution is mufflers. ;)
Muffler is not the solution. Half of the noise is prop tip noise. And they still harp on the danger, pollution, what have you. Remember: appeasement never works, not with people who are out to get you no matter what. And it's different from being a good neighbour. I am all for mufflers, BTW. They are just not the solution for haters.

This is about as ridiculous as someone who builds a house downwind of a chicken or hog farm and then complains about the smell.

And as far as the racist comments, his comment "this isn't 1980" may actually mean he thinks it's still 1950.

There are lots of selfish idiots in suburban DC. That's a major reason why I left there.

But I haven't heard the term "colored" in decades. What rock did this guy climb out from under? That was an "antiquated" term even in the 70s.

And I thought that nonwhites could be ace pilots was proven beyond a doubt in World War II....

Muffler is not the solution. Half of the noise is prop tip noise. And they still harp on the danger, pollution, what have you. Remember: appeasement never works, not with people who are out to get you no matter what. And it's different from being a good neighbour. I am all for mufflers, BTW. They are just not the solution for haters.

Definitely!

Kudos for keeping your cool like that. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have gotten away so easy if it were me.

I used to deal with these idiots everyday working at KSUS. Sadly, I had to just take their information and report it.

Although during the times of my under-employment when I wasn't working for the airport, I have given many of them a piece of my mind. Hmm, so the airport was built in '64, and you bought the house in '05... Took 'ya over 40 years to notice that 1,500 acre piece of land with hundreds of airplanes operation? You must be a real genius.

Back