Ifr written

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
I have to take my instrument written on thursday or friday. Just wondering what's the best way/ software to use to study for it. Thanks

Shepard Air - study that for several hours a day and you will pass no problem. I scored a 98 with it

I have always had good luck and scores with the Gliem books.

No way to tell without knowing what your best learning style is. Some do best with book reading, some with interactive computer programs, some with lecture style videos, some only in a classroom with a live instructor. So, which method floats your boat the best?

I have to take my instrument written on thursday or friday. Just wondering what's the best way/ software to use to study for it. Thanks

In three days?

Too late.

All you'll accomplish by trying to cram is make yourself exhausted. If you don't have a good grasp on it now -- test with exams4pilots.org using a standard 60 question format -- then delay your written until you do. Cramming right before a big test is an excellent way to blow it, often worse than if you took the test cold.

In three days?

Too late.

All you'll accomplish by trying to cram is make yourself exhausted. If you don't have a good grasp on it now -- test with exams4pilots.org using a standard 60 question format -- then delay your written until you do. Cramming right before a big test is an excellent way to blow it, often worse than if you took the test cold.

:yeahthat:

Not saying it cannot be done....but if you use the Gleim or Sporty's test preps and really cram, you jus might get by. But you won't learn a thing.

Wait.

JHMO,

Mike

I've been working on it. So I'm not starting from scratch and trying to cram but I still have some time before my check ride. Im in a fast track program so I need to take the written. Once I pass i can make sure to actually learn it and make sure it sticks

Shepard Air - study that for several hours a day and you will pass no problem. I scored a 98 with it

+1

Very fast and effective of you follow what they say. 3 days is pushing it but if you devote time you can pass. They will even give you a sign off if needed.

I just purchased Sheppard air. I am a full time flight student so I have 3 full days to study. Im hoping it works out

To pass the test? Sheppard Air, Just follow the directions.

To learn the other stuff, then pick a style and the program.

With 3 days, Sheppard Air is probably your best bet. In 3 days, getting a decent passing score is definitely doable using Sheppard.

I read the Jepp book. Then I just took practice test after practice test until I had scores in the 90's. The one thing my instructor did that was good, was had me work ALL the problems in the database related to VOR's and ADF's. All the "quadrant" stuff (has to be in one of 4 quadrants).

Holds are usually a problem. Learn how to identify where a hold is based on an ATC instruction (giving right or left, radial, and cardinal direction). None of the "tricks" work for hold entries. Just draw the hold on the enroute chart, visualize it and figure out the entry.

I like Gleim....best of the drill and kill study materials in my opinion.

You have to take it in 2 or 3 days and you're just now getting started? I applaud your ambition.

I used SheppardAir.com's product and did well. But I took a bit more time.

That's a pretty short fuse on the time line. Good luck.

I used the King Schools courses for both the PP and IR writtens. They worked for me. YMMV. They teach you to pass the written and nothing else.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone used the sporty's Ipad app? I used it for my PPL and did really well, I got it for IFR as well but haven't started with it yet. Never heard of the sheppard.com from anyone until I came on here, Ill have to check it out.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone used the sporty's Ipad app? I used it for my PPL and did really well, I got it for IFR as well but haven't started with it yet. Never heard of the sheppard.com from anyone until I came on here, Ill have to check it out.
You totally hijacked my thread man (squawking 7500). Not cool. Anyways I have not. I've been using Sheppard air for the past few days. It's only $40 for the ifr airplane one.

That's a pretty short fuse on the time line. Good luck.

I used the King Schools courses for both the PP and IR writtens. They worked for me. YMMV. They teach you to pass the written and nothing else.

King?
You're thinking sheppard or dauntless.

Thing is you take the practice tests over and over, select the option to show the correct answer immediately if you get it wrong. Keep going through it until you average over 80% and you'll pass the written fine. Just be sure you update your question bank.

King?

Thing is you take the practice tests over and over, select the option to show the correct answer immediately if you get it wrong. Keep going through it until you average over 80% and you'll pass the written fine. Just be sure you update your question bank.

I would up it to 90%, some people don't do well under pressure and you will have more margin of error

The higher the better.

I've recommend quite a few folks and that was my written method, zero failures.

I would up it to 90%, some people don't do well under pressure and you will have more margin of error
I did better on my real ppl written then I did on the practice test I took. And it's not much of a high pressure situation for me.

I wouldn't go unless I consistently didn't get any wrong. I think I must have misread one question on the exam as I only got a 97.

A buddy already had the King DVD set so I borrowed that, did fine. (although staying awake thru the King stuff can be hard sometimes :rolleyes:)

King?

No, I thinking King Schools. 100% on the PP written and something like 96% on the IR written.

A buddy already had the King DVD set so I borrowed that, did fine. (although staying awake thru the King stuff can be hard sometimes :rolleyes:)

Their on-line version is always updated, so that's a good option. And, Bill, I know exactly what you mean about staying awake. :yes:

Maybe someone here can help. I can't seem to score higher than a 72% on the practice written. I've been using Sheppard and I believe I'm following the instructions. But it Seems like no matter how hard I try I get no where

Which question areas are you having trouble with?

As I stated, I like Gleim for the drill and kill stuff. But even with Sheppard it sounds like some major subject area problem.

Maybe someone here can help. I can't seem to score higher than a 72% on the practice written. I've been using Sheppard and I believe I'm following the instructions. But it Seems like no matter how hard I try I get no where

Go back and actually read the material. Absolutely do not take the written with those kind of practice scores. I have heard that most people score 10% less on the real test than practice ones...and that sure did hold true for my IR.

when going through the questions, just look at the correct answer. Don't read the wrong answers. That way, you'll only recognize correct answers on the test. This will help you with a higher score, but it's important to know why the correct answer is correct. Go back and do your research after taking the tests.

good news i passed both my ira and my cfii written today. it was a 73 and 70 so definitely not the best but a pass is a pass and i have time to build up my knowledge and become proficient.

good news i passed both my ira and my cfii written today. it was a 73 and 70 so definitely not the best but a pass is a pass and i have time to build up my knowledge and become proficient.

Hey congrats!! anything over 70 is wasted effort:D

when going through the questions, just look at the correct answer. Don't read the wrong answers. That way, you'll only recognize correct answers on the test. This will help you with a higher score, but it's important to know why the correct answer is correct. Go back and do your research after taking the tests.

The SheppardAir software has specific instructions to follow to use their product and prep for the exam. And as stated above, they direct you to do the first one or two run throughs of the question bank are with only the correct answer being shown. The idea is to get the pattern matching part of your memory in gear recognizing the correct question and answer pairing.

For me that really helped. Sometimes it got the "ah-ha!" light bulb switched on, other times it better explained a concept, and a few times it got me digging a bit deeper for a more thorough explanation.

Then after the passes with only the correct question, did I repeat the exercise with the questions in order, but all of the answers showing and in random position. And finally, re-did the section with questions in random order and the possible answers in random position.

So I looked through sheppard air again today. Turns out I was doing it wrong. I misread the steps as individual study methods. Whoops.

So I looked through sheppard air again today. Turns out I was doing it wrong. I misread the steps as individual study methods. Whoops.

Oh well you passed. But I can say follow step by step and it will work. But again..you passed so its water under the bridge now.

Back