IFR to VFR-on-top ... to IFR

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
I haven't seen this discussed before and a recent conversation got me thinking.

I realize there's an occasional debate on the real utility of a VFR-on-top clearance, but leaving that aside for a moment...

If you are VFR-on-top but can see the need to go IFR to get into your destination (or just simply can see you will no longer be able to maintain VFR), what's the protocol? Is it as simple as saying "Request cancel VFR-on-top and return to IFR for the approach to KXYZ"? Since you're still technically IFR (and VFR) how does that usually get handled? Did your original IFR flight plan get maintained in the system despite the change?

It might be just as simple as some version of the above, but are there any aspects I'm missing?

Thanks.

How often do pilots use “VFR on top” as their IFR altitude?

I’ve never heard it in use.

Did a quick read through it. What I got is she had filed an IFR Flight Plan. Then decided she really didn’t want the whole thing. Then requested a Climb to OTP to then Cancel and continue VFR. The links to ATC recordings are no longer availabile. The NTSB Preliminary has me scratching my head. It has the Tower shipping her to Oakland Center, not Norcal.

How often do pilots use “VFR on top” as their IFR altitude?

I’ve never heard it in use.
I’ve heard it quite often, but then I was Controller. Using it as your Enroute Altitude was less common though than as a way to just get On Top and then Cancel

This will be a weird one for my first post on here...

I took (and passed) my IFR ground test yesterday and this question was on there. Something to the effect of: "If you're at 7000' in IMC and request to 9000' and are denied but ATC clears you to 7500' where you break into VFR you are: a. required to remain VFR and avoid traffic b. still on your IFR flight plan or c. your IFR flight plan is canceled or something to that effect - memory is mush after the brain-beating I took getting to that point!

I had done the Machado ground videos and quizzes and don't recall being prepped for this question. I 'guessed' still on flight plan because it didn't say anything about it being canceled. Assuming I got it right but will never know.

The value of VFR on top is reduced separation with IFR traffic until returning to instrument conditions. The clearance remains intact. You are committed to advise the ATC controller if VFR conditions are not continuing, and return to normal separation rules. Obviously, he/she/it cannot know the actual conditions.

VFR on top is particularly valuable to a GA pilot wishing to fly at a specific altitude or route, and other traffic has a separation problem which would not exist in visual conditions. A VFR altitude may be flown temporarily, on the desired airway, until descent into the clouds is required to complete the flight to the desired airport.

Just be sure that the controller understands that you are VFR On Top, still on your IFR flight plan. Some controllers are not familiar with the concept.

This will be a weird one for my first post on here...

I took (and passed) my IFR ground test yesterday and this question was on there. Something to the effect of: "If you're at 7000' in IMC and request to 9000' and are denied but ATC clears you to 7500' where you break into VFR you are: a. required to remain VFR and avoid traffic b. still on your IFR flight plan or c. your IFR flight plan is canceled or something to that effect - memory is mush after the brain-beating I took getting to that point!

I had done the Machado ground videos and quizzes and don't recall being prepped for this question. I 'guessed' still on flight plan because it didn't say anything about it being canceled. Assuming I got it right but will never know.
While you are airborne, ATC cannot cancel IFR; only you can do that.

Just be sure that the controller understands that you are VFR On Top, still on your IFR flight plan. Some controllers are not familiar with the concept.
Controller familiarity would be my biggest concern. If the controller thought I was cancelling, I should hear "IFR cancellation received," and be able to correct it. But mistakes happen. I've had controllers simply forget we were IFR.

Back