IFR Night Flight into MDW

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Here's the newest video with a night flight into MDW. I needed to reset my night currency and have never landed MDW so we went on over. The departure off my home airport, RNAV 4R at MDW and then departure is in the first 21 minutes or so. I did the best I could to keep my speed up on final as there was a 737 on our tail. After MDW, there was some friendly ATC banter and an approach into DPA (@SkyDog58 's old home) then VFR back home.

I hadn't received my new Ram mount yet so this was with the old iPad. Unfortunately the new iPad didn't record properly or I would have added some of that. I toyed with it the other day and have it all figured out now for future flights. Thanks for the suggestion @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Thanks for posting. Nice flight into a busy place.

I got a laugh when you mentioned keeping the full approach loaded. Philly once gave me VTF and like a dip stick thats what I loaded and activated....just once. I was in the clag and they switched up given me a direct to an IAF. Learned my lesson that day. Full approach ALWAYS, one can always update on the go.

I got a laugh when you mentioned keeping the full approach loaded. Philly once gave me VTF and like a dip stick thats what I loaded and activated....just once. I was in the clag and they switched up given me a direct to an IAF. Learned my lesson that day. Full approach ALWAYS, one can always update on the go.
It only takes once for people to realize not to do it. I learned in a similar way as you. I'm very cognizant of this when I'm controlling but many non-pilots don't realize the pain it is to switch back after the fixes are gone.

Always love your videos, RC! Nice job!

Great vid. Eek, I hate it when tower gives taxi instructions when I'm still in the flare.
Thanks! Yeah, my comment that I cut out after receiving the exiting instructions while I was still in the air wasn't flattering to the controller. I cut it out because I was going to give the benefit of him thinking I was down but being hard to see at night. Sometimes I forget about the cameras and that I'm planning on sharing it later. :) I'm pretty sure I never did it when I was working towers as there just isn't the need to give it that quickly but oh well.

It only takes once for people to realize not to do it. I learned in a similar way as you. I'm very cognizant of this when I'm controlling but many non-pilots don't realize the pain it is to switch back after the fixes are gone.
I was lucky. I watched it happen the first time to someone else :D

There's a reason the FAA recommends not loading VTF initially in the AIM. (there was recently a big discussion here on whether the new capability of the GTN series really changes that)

BTW, love the "I can talk fast too" line.

Last edited:
Back