IFR Kneeboard

PaulMKE

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PaulMKE
Hi,

I'm working on my IR and need to better organize my lap.

I use an 11" iPad primarily in a 172S. I have ordered a Ram mount to hold the ipad in front of the yoke, but I'm dubious if that will work out. It's a non-GPS iPad so charts only.

Also considering a full-lap kneeboard, but the ones from ASA and Jeppesen aren't convincing: they look unstable, small, and cheap.

Does anyone have recommendations for good clean kneeboard / lap organization for IFR? Ideally, it would hold a notepad/pen; papers (printed plates/briefing etc); flashlight; timer; and possibly charts or a checklist. Maybe I'm trying to put too much into my lap... still trying to figure out a system.

Thanks,
Paul

iPad for charts n plates. Notepad and pen for clearances. Pockets for other stuff.

That said a 172 does bounce around more in turbulence than my Piper. That might cause me to strap something to my leg. I never used a knee board strapped to my leg while VFR in a 172.

To me, that would be way too much stuff in my lap. I use the same $0.88 mini legal pad and clipboard whether I’m VFR or IFR to write on and that is it. I will print normal sized copies of approach plates and clip it to the clipboard from time to time, and will also make a small nav log that will clip to the clipboard nicely if necessary.

The iPad sits on the floor or on the passenger seat until I need a chart or approach plate for some reason.

:yeahthat: Cheapo clipboard in various sizes, whatever you prefer. I use the 5x7 w/ note pad on it. When I use one. Which hasn't been a long time.

s0245557_sc7

Last edited:
I used everything from a standard clip board,to a three fold commercial knee board. It’s all what your comfortable with,cockpit size,and what you want to spend.

Get a canvas like fabric case with the solid flip open cover for your iPad, like a belkin from Wally World, stitch a elastic strap on the front of the cover with a hoop for a pen, slide a small legal note pad in the elastic, now with your iPad on your lap landscape ways you can write anything down on a real note pad with a real pen, and when you need a plate or chart or whatever, just flip the cover and there's your iPad.

Been running this setup with a mini for years, works great.

I went through a whole array of products during VFR cross countries, and then getting prepared for instrument training. When I started my IR, my instructor had this for his iPad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUGO78C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice thing about it is that you can use it for just about any size device/clipboard. (Within reason)

I got one and use it with a 5x7 clipboard with pad of paper, and a little spring-thingy to hold a pen. I also keep a thick rubber band around the bottom of the note pad to keep the paper down. iPad goes on the yoke, as I like to be able to reference the plates during approaches. Although I have a clock in the panel, I use an IFR timer app on my iphone in a clip just to the upper left of my panel, or I can put it under the rubber band on my knee-clipboard. (My iPhone also has a checklist app that I use instead of printed lists.) After awhile, I did find that I needed to put a few stitches around the brackets on the knee strap to keep them from sliding out of position when not in use. Other than that, it works great, and the strap and clipboard all fit in the map pocket when not in use. (Along with printed checklists and a few paper charts.)

Spare radio, water bottle, and snacks all go in a little box behind the front passenger seat, where I can easily reach them. If flying at night, my mini-flashlight goes in my shirt pocket. So far, it's been working fine for me.

I have the iPad which sits either on the right seat or whoever is sitting in the right seat holds it.
I have a little spiral notebook I write the clearances and whatever other notes I need to make on.

Small clipboard and folded sheet of paper worked for me. The tri folds are too bulky IMO.

Thanks everyone! Super helpful ideas.

I use an ASA kneeboard (clipboard) and it works to me, I just carry the charts that I'm gonna use and white papers and some pens.

An 11 inch iPad is kind of big for either a yoke mount or kneeboard. I personally prefer the Mini. I use the Mini as a scratchpad, plates, maps, and basically everything I need. I use it when I need it, then stow it when I don't. I prefer less clutter and less distraction, especially when shooting an approach.

Back