IFR description in planes-for-sale ads?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I'm looking at Cessna 150/152 ads. What makes a plane IFR capable (or certified)? I can figure out the need for glideslope indication and a VOR within 30 day inspection...is that it, or is there more?

While you can properly say a 152 is IFR capable the way it came from the factory, most people would require at least glideslope capability (and historically, marker beacons).

IFR certs typically mean the 91.411 Altimeter/encoder checks. The VOR check is never even given a consideration as the pilot does that.

IMO, besides some minimum nav capability, it has all of the 91.205 equipment, a transponder, and current 91.411 and 91.413 inspections.

And yes I know a transponder is not a regulatory IFR requirement but IFR flight without one isn't practical.

As one who has a plane for sale and listed IFR in the title, I believe there is a difference between IFR legal minimum equipment and IFR capable for most pilot's to comfortably and safely use in actual routinely. If a listing states IFR I believe the plane should be equipped with a fair bit more than just the minimum equipment.

Good question...my 150 was IFR...It had a VOR, a Transponder, and current 91.411/413 checks.

But I didn't advertise it as "IFR" when I sold it...on the other hand, the new owner flew it home IFR.

I read CAPABLE to mean the minimum stuff is installed while CERTIFIED meant the inspections are current.

As one who has a plane for sale and listed IFR in the title, I believe there is a difference between IFR legal minimum equipment and IFR capable for most pilot's to comfortably and safely use in actual routinely. If a listing states IFR I believe the plane should be equipped with a fair bit more than just the minimum equipment.
I don't agree. An airplane to be IFR legal either meets the minimum requirement or it exceeds it. A buyer needs to read the details and determine if it is worth the price and meets his personal minimum requirements to be "comfortable." Some pilots aren't comfortable without a coupled autopilot, dual WAAS GPS, ILS, ADSB in/out, traffic, ...

Firstly, it has to be approved for IFR operations in the "Limitations section" of the POH.

2016-08-18_1037.png

Last edited:
A transponder isn't necessary for IFR, though the airspace you can fly without it is limited. However, it's hard to sell even a VFR aircraft these days without Mode C.

I'm looking at Cessna 150/152 ads. What makes a plane IFR capable (or certified)? I can figure out the need for glideslope indication and a VOR within 30 day inspection...is that it, or is there more?

You can look in the Airman's Information Manual and find the answer. There are a lot of folks that (as mentioned above) think you have to have dual WAAS GPS equipment. Others think you can fly needle, ball and airspeed. How much equipment you really have to have depends on the individual to a great degree, although the AIM says what the regulatory requirements are.

My first plane was IFR legal, but in no way equipped for real world IFR ops.

My second planes panel cost more than my entire first plane, and she was a nice bird, my second plane is my first plane (that I've owned) that I would take into the soup

Back