IFR and auto pilot

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
Would do your IFR training in a plane not equip with auto pilot? Reason I ask is the FBO has 2 archer II, one has autopilot the other one doesn't.

The one that does has crappy avionics and the one that doesn't has better avionics but does have wing leveler.

Question for Ron, if the plane has a coupled autopilot, is it fair game for the DPE to ask for demonstration of a coupled approach?

The anwser to this question may guide you to the simpler plane with better avionics.....less work on the checkride. :D

I did all my prep for the ticket ,without an auto pilot .since the DPE can fail it on the test. Now that I'm rated ,would not fly actual without one.

Well if you have the option I see no reason not to go with the AP equipped Archer. You'll still get some hand flying in anyway.

I did all my training in a Liberty XL with no auto pilot. Took my check ride in a PA-28 with no auto pilot so it's not that critical that you have one.

if the plane has a coupled autopilot, is it fair game for the DPE to ask for demonstration of a coupled approach?

Yes......

The applicant is expected to utilize an autopilot and/or flight
management system (FMS), if properly installed, during the instrument
practical test to assist in the management of the aircraft. The examiner
is expected to test the applicant’s knowledge of the systems that are
installed and operative during the oral and flight portions of the practical
test. The applicant will be required to demonstrate the use of the
autopilot and/or FMS during one of the nonprecision approaches.
The applicant is expected to demonstrate satisfactory automation
management skills.

Well if you have the option I see no reason not to go with the AP equipped Archer. You'll still get some hand flying in anyway.

I did all my training in a Liberty XL with no auto pilot. Took my check ride in a PA-28 with no auto pilot so it's not that critical that you have one.

I have a liberty xl with the auto pilot,what a pleasure to fly,did my initial in an arrow with no auto pilot.

I have a liberty xl with the auto pilot,what a pleasure to fly,did my initial in an arrow with no auto pilot.

Yeah I liked the little Liberty. FADEC broke right before check ride time though. Nothing like doing all my training in one aircraft and then jumping into a PA-28 at the last minute...a piece of junk at that.

My plane is /G and I had to fly one of the approaches on my checkride using the autopilot. I can't speak to if other examiners do this, but mine wanted to be sure I knew how to manage the systems, etc.

Yes......

Thanks Greg and R&W.

To the OP:

When I did my IR I did it in the more simple aircraft: traditional dual navcom with DME and ADF and thus had to demonstrate VOR, ILS, and NDB approaches. I could have used the other club aircraft that had dual 430s and an S-Tec 55x coupled autopilot with VS, altitude pre-select, and altitude hold. I chose the simpler route and learned the more advanced aircraft on my own[1] after passing the ride.

[1] This is a whole 'nother story, but only will tell if there is interest.

Would do your IFR training in a plane not equip with auto pilot? Reason I ask is the FBO has 2 archer II, one has autopilot the other one doesn't.

The one that does has crappy avionics and the one that doesn't has better avionics but does have wing leveler.
The plane I trained on for IR did not have an auto pilot. I didn't find my training too difficult without autopilot but it would be nice to turn it on while I brief an approach or get an amended clearance. The simpler the better for IR training. It's one less thing you need to worry about.

Simpler and more basic the better for training.

Simpler and more basic the better for training.

Exactly.
DPE considerations aside, if you train without A/P, you'll create a foundation for hand flying that will last you a lifetime. Learning to use the A/P after being rated is a no-brainer.

Question for Ron, if the plane has a coupled autopilot, is it fair game for the DPE to ask for demonstration of a coupled approach?
Not only fair game, but required by the PTS if it has an approach-capable autopilot (as quoted above by R&W).

However, contrary to the "simpler is better" post above, I'd say if you'll be flying the one with the autopilot after you get the rating, train in that one now, and vice versa. Per the laws of Primacy and Exercise, the best bet really is to train in the plane you'll fly after you get the rating.

Not only fair game, but required by the PTS if it has an approach-capable autopilot (as quoted above by R&W).
Hmm... my DPE didn't think so. I specifically asked whether we would be doing a coupled approach on my ride, and he said he was more interested in testing my hand-flying skills.
However, contrary to the "simpler is better" post above, I'd say if you'll be flying the one with the autopilot after you get the rating, train in that one now, and vice versa. Per the laws of Primacy and Exercise, the best bet really is to train in the plane you'll fly after you get the rating.
This is exactly why I finished my instrument training in the plane I bought - I figured that if I finished my training in a plane with a more conventional panel, I wouldn't be competent to fly my own plane in actual without the same amount of extra training anyway.

For my IR & CFII ratings, my C172 was equipped with an autopilot. For both ratings the examiner made me utilize the autopilot for the enroute structure to ensure competence. I had to hand fly all approaches on the checkride.

For my students I focus the training on hand flying all approaches. Towards the end of the IR rating we get more into autopilot usage, which is easy once you understand how your autopilot functions.

Personally I would utilize the autopilot equipped Archer if the cost was the same. Just ensure your able to function with and without the autopilot.

If the equipment is installed and operational, it is fair game for a DPE.

Absolutely yes..and when I took my checkride the DPE had me do Approaches both with and without auto pilot and since I had a 430w I needed to do both ILS and RNAV along with a VOR approach using both VOR and GPS to identify the FAF since I had the equipment installed. ...it was more work but it was the plane I was flying and it makes sense to know how all the bells and buzzers work....

Just be prepared to use it if it's installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a tough decision. You say better avionics. What is the difference? If its huge, like GPS vs NO GPS then maybe the better avionics is the best choice.

Personally, I would prefer to be flying IFR with an autopilot. Less time hand flying will help you focus on other tasks. Wing levelers suck IMO.

Hmm... my DPE didn't think so. I specifically asked whether we would be doing a coupled approach on my ride, and he said he was more interested in testing my hand-flying skills.
Then your DPE should be glad the FAA wasn't riding along, as he would have had at least a debrief item with the Inspector, and you would have had to repeat that Area using the autopilot on at least one approach. As the PTS section R&W quoted above clearly says ("The applicant will be required to demonstrate the use of the autopilot and/or FMS during one of the nonprecision approaches."), this isn't a DPE-option issue -- it's mandatory.

Last edited:
FWIW I trained without an autopilot, just dual NavComms (one glideslope), an ADF, a marker beacon and a transponder. Added a DME after I got the rating in the spring of 1988. Never had an autopilot, still don't and I fly quite a bit of single pilot IFR. My thoughts about APs; it'd be nice to have, if you got one learn to use it well and don't ever depend on it to do what you can't do by hand.

I disagree with Ron. Train without an autopilot and you will always be able to fly what you have got. The autopilot is simple to learn after training.
I learned without but always fly with. If the autopilot goes wrong the law of primacy will be on my side.
Stephen.

I disagree with Ron. Train without an autopilot and you will always be able to fly what you have got. The autopilot is simple to learn after training.
I learned without but always fly with. If the autopilot goes wrong the law of primacy will be on my side.
Stephen.

I learned with an autopilot and have had 2 solo flights in IMC where my autopilot failed, one was at night in heavy rain and moderate turbulence and I had to hand fly. Guess what? I did fine without it. no need to make it any more of a right of passage than it already is.

I did my IFR training and checkride with a single Kx-170b and an ADF. I was the autopilot.

I'd go with the better avionics. You should be able to do it all without an autopilot. Had an autopilot in the plane I used for the IR and the only time I used it was on the GPS approach during the checkride...It failed before we even got to the IAP.

Stephen.
You seem to be assuming that if there's an autopilot in the plane, your instructor will never teach you how to fly without it, and that's an inaccurate assumption. If there's an autopilot in the plane, you learn to do it all both with and without the autopilot or your instructor isn't doing his/her job properly. But either way, the airplane you intend to fly after the rating is still the airplane in which you should do the training.

Then your DPE should be glad the FAA wasn't riding along, as he would have had at least a debrief item with the Inspector, and you would have had to repeat that Area using the autopilot on at least one approach. As the PTS section R&W quoted above clearly says ("The applicant will be required to demonstrate the use of the autopilot and/or FMS during one of the nonprecision approaches."), this isn't a DPE-option issue -- it's mandatory.
Yes Ron, I read it. My question was more along the lines of whether this (making a coupled approach mandatory) was a recent change in the PTS. I don't have a copy of the PTS that was in effect at the time I did my ride (January 2013), and the Examiner's Practical Test Checklist in the ASA Oral Exam Guide that was current at the time does not mention it. All of the CFIIs I flew with, in particular the one who finished me up, said that it was a "fair game" item and to ask the DPE whether he would have me do it.

BTW my A/P is useless for a coupled approach except on the FAS of an RNAV or ILS approach, since it does not do anywhere near standard rate turns and the high sensitivity mode isn't very - so intercepting a VOR radial or localizer has to be done by hand anyway (in heading mode if using the A/P - you can switch to nav mode once established and within 5 degrees or so of the desired course).

Last edited:
Yes Ron, I read it. My question was more along the lines of whether this (making a coupled approach mandatory) was a recent change in the PTS. I don't have a copy of the PTS that was in effect at the time I did my ride (January 2013), and the Examiner's Practical Test Checklist in the ASA Oral Exam Guide that was current at the time does not mention it. All of the CFIIs I flew with, in particular the one who finished me up, said that it was a "fair game" item and to ask the DPE whether he would have me do it.

BTW my A/P is useless for a coupled approach except on the FAS of an RNAV or ILS approach, since it does not do anywhere near standard rate turns and the high sensitivity mode isn't very - so intercepting a VOR radial or localizer has to be done by hand anyway (in heading mode if using the A/P - you can switch to nav mode once established and within 5 degrees or so of the desired course).

Hmm. Sounds like the description of the original nav-o-matic AP in a Cessna. I have a 200A, which acts like this.

Also, it has a little disclaimer on Nav Capture mode to manually intercept the course if more than 15 miles from the station, or more than three minutes to intercept. I have never really been able to get it to do anything other than hold wings level, or do a command turn. I wonder if a DPE trying to get me to use it on the approach will require me to use it more than just for wings level. I am not sure if this is capable of a "coupled" approach such that the DPE would be required to have me use it. If so, I will pretty much just have to say that it failed to capture/track, so I am disconnecting and reverting to manual.

Hmm. Sounds like the description of the original nav-o-matic AP in a Cessna. I have a 200A, which acts like this.
Negative, it's an STEC-30, cross-graded to a 20 plus PSS. It was designed to be a complete A/P, GPSS, with high and low sensitivity nav modes, glideslope capture, everything but auto trim and altitude preselect. For some reason that's never been explained to my satisfaction, it just doesn't do standard rate turns, more like half standard rate. Much better than the nav-O-matic which is, I agree, useful as a wing leveler and little more. Once established on final I would even trust it to fly a rock solid approach down to minimums if needed. But on a T-type RNAV approach, I never let it fly the turns to base and final, it's asking for a PD it's so slow. Last summer I tried to get it to intercept a localizer on an ILS approach from about a 30 degree angle. It overshot and didn't correct within my ability to tolerate, but the next time from 5 degrees away it did intercept and flew the rest of the approach beautifully, including capturing and tracking the G/S down to minimums.

So it's a decent A/P, but it has some limitations. :redface:

Also, it has a little disclaimer on Nav Capture mode to manually intercept the course if more than 15 miles from the station, or more than three minutes to intercept. I have never really been able to get it to do anything other than hold wings level, or do a command turn. I wonder if a DPE trying to get me to use it on the approach will require me to use it more than just for wings level. I am not sure if this is capable of a "coupled" approach such that the DPE would be required to have me use it. If so, I will pretty much just have to say that it failed to capture/track, so I am disconnecting and reverting to manual.
If it's not capable of a coupled approach, I would just tell the DPE that. You shouldn't be expected to demonstrate something that is beyond the capability of your installed equipment. Just make sure that you are right beforehand. ;)

I fly with an STEC-30 and it certainly can't do a true coupled approach, according to the manual you have to be established on the localizer, radial, or gps course within ten degrees before it will track in azimuth. That's certainly my experience.

Of course if you have roll steering coupled to a GPS then the GPS can drive the autopilot as if it was twisting the heading knob on the DG, so I guess you could call that 'coupled'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know no STEC-30 can track a glidepath.

Negative, it's an STEC-30, cross-graded to a 20 plus PSS. It was designed to be a complete A/P, GPSS, with high and low sensitivity nav modes, glideslope capture, everything but auto trim and altitude preselect. For some reason that's never been explained to my satisfaction, it just doesn't do standard rate turns, more like half standard rate. Much better than the nav-O-matic which is, I agree, useful as a wing leveler and little more. Once established on final I would even trust it to fly a rock solid approach down to minimums if needed. But on a T-type RNAV approach, I never let it fly the turns to base and final, it's asking for a PD it's so slow. Last summer I tried to get it to intercept a localizer on an ILS approach from about a 30 degree angle. It overshot and didn't correct within my ability to tolerate, but the next time from 5 degrees away it did intercept and flew the rest of the approach beautifully, including capturing and tracking the G/S down to minimums.

So it's a decent A/P, but it has some limitations. :redface:

It should be adjusted to provide about 90% of standard rate. At 50%, GPSS will under perform in many cases.

I fly with an STEC-30 and it certainly can't do a true coupled approach, according to the manual you have to be established on the localizer, radial, or gps course within ten degrees before it will track in azimuth. That's certainly my experience.
Yes, I think that's correct. However, the CFII I was flying with thought it should be capable of more, so we tried it. 10 degrees sounds like about the limit of its ability to capture.
Of course if you have roll steering coupled to a GPS then the GPS can drive the autopilot as if it was twisting the heading knob on the DG, so I guess you could call that 'coupled'.
Yes, and that is how my system is installed. The problem is that it can't do anything over about half standard rate even in heading mode.
I'm not sure, probably so, but mine isn't an STEC-30 any more. The vertical part of the 30 was removed and replaced with the System 60 PSS, which was designed to allow GS capture and tracking. So it's more like an STEC-20 plus PSS (in fact, I believe that's exactly what it is).

It should be adjusted to provide about 90% of standard rate. At 50%, GPSS will under perform in many cases.
Yes, that is what the manual says (90% for piston aircraft, 75% for turbo-prop). And I did ask my avionics guy about that before I moved out of MI. He said that he has been through this several times with STEC and that the maximum turn rate for each make and model is determined by factory settings that can't be adjusted, or something along those lines. Basically he said it would be a waste of his time and my money to try to get more performance out of it.

Yes Ron, I read it. My question was more along the lines of whether this (making a coupled approach mandatory) was a recent change in the PTS.
No, it is not recent. It's been that way for all the decades I've had a CFI-IA rating.

That's correct, and it would be considered such. But even if it won't do the whole approach hands-off, you can still use it to control the plane during the approach.

You are not wrong. You'd have to use the autopilot to control roll why hand-controlling pitch.

Agree on all points.

I would advocate using the plane with the ap. Knowing how and when to use an autopilot is an important part of single-pilot IFR CRM.

So what constitutes "a coupled approach?"

So what constitutes "a coupled approach?"

the autopilot controls down to minimums - all the pilot has to manage is throttle, flaps, gear

On old school AP like in the 'kota, it means an ILS approach - newer equipment can handle LPV approaches (as I understand it).

Back