IFR and auto pilot

the autopilot controls down to minimums - all the pilot has to manage is throttle, flaps, gear

On old school AP like in the 'kota, it means an ILS approach - newer equipment can handle LPV approaches (as I understand it).

Interestingly, the PTS says use of the autopilot will be demonstrated on a non-precision approach.

the autopilot controls down to minimums - all the pilot has to manage is throttle, flaps, gear

On old school AP like in the 'kota, it means an ILS approach - newer equipment can handle LPV approaches (as I understand it).

Yep. You don't even have to have vertical guidance to use a coupled approach. But in those cases the pilot has to use the ap to hit the right altitudes on approach - either with an altitude preselect or, in my case, a v-speed dial and alt-hold.

Interestingly, the PTS says use of the autopilot will be demonstrated on a non-precision approach.

yup, 'cause that is the most work for the pilot...and that also isn't a coupled approach with the nomenclature of the 70's. On the other hand I may be pushing the terminology a bit but here's my take away from reading the manual and using an ancient autopilot. The nomenclature might be different now with GPSS.

On the Altimatic IIIC, the coupled part of the approach is the glideslope coupler and it's a magic moment when every thing works and it follows both the localizer and the glideslope (I have to smoke a cigarette after a coupled approach and I don't even smoke). A localizer approach or backcourse uses a localizer tracking function that requires heading input. A VOR approach just uses a sensitive setting on the VOR and heading tracking function. An NDB approach just uses heading.

I think folks are calling anything with GPSS a coupled approach because it can automatically follow a laterally complex course. In comparison the old radio nav stuff was at best an intercept and then track straight in.

Last edited:
yup, 'cause that is the most work for the pilot...and that also isn't a coupled approach with the nomenclature of the 70's. On the other hand I may be pushing the terminology a bit but here's my take away from reading the manual and using an ancient autopilot. The nomenclature might be different now with GPSS.

On the Altimatic IIIC, the coupled part of the approach is the glideslope coupler and it's a magic moment when every thing works and it follows both the localizer and the glideslope (I have to smoke a cigarette after a coupled approach and I don't even smoke). A localizer approach or backcourse uses a localizer tracking function that requires heading input. A VOR approach just uses a sensitive setting on the VOR and heading tracking function. An NDB approach just uses heading.

I think folks are calling anything with GPSS a coupled approach because it can automatically follow a laterally complex course. In comparison the old radio nav stuff was at best an intercept and then track straight in.

I use coupled to mean any approach in which the autopilot is engaged and has some control of the airplane in at least one axis. It's 'coupled' to the flight controls is how I think of it.

You'll be better off training in the plane (or as close as possible to the plane) that you would actually be flying in IMC.

"Coupled" is the connection of an autopilot to the navigation source. So what "coupled" does in a given aircraft is dependent on the capability of the autopilot. I have a pretty basic AP with simpler leveler with a roll-control know, heading with a DG bug, and coupled in various modes of sensitivity (high, medium, low). It operates off the 430W and so it can follow either a GPS or VLOC course, bit it's not GPSS, so it won't fly the whole approach for you. It will intercept and track courses, but still requires pilot control of altitude/descent.

I did 90% of my IR work in a very nice 172 with a 2 axis autopilot. However it also had a KLN94, and I hated that unit so much, that I chose to do my check ride in an old 172 with no GPS, no autopilot, and one NAV/Com. It was about as basic an IFR platform as you can get. I actually told my DPE, that I wouldn't take it in actual.

I hand flew the entire test, while a challenge, it was better than using that stupid GPS. Using a single nav/com to fly a localizer, and having to switch back and forth to identify fixes is a task I wouldn't recommend on a check ride. But I think she was impressed that I pulled it off.

Now I fly a coupled 430W AP, which if I had at the time, I would have happily used for my IR check ride. My point is you need to be comfortable with what you bring to the check ride. I chose my posion.

Get the autopilot , just exercise your hand flying skills often . Autopilots increase Saftey hands down but don't forget garbage in =garbage out .... Just consider briefing a complex approach during awful weather , would you rather have it or not ? That's what I thought

Your DPE did it right. The DPE's should follow the PTS and the PTS should have them get you to demonstrate the use of the autopilot if the aircraft is so equipped. The PTS is the standard, not what an individual DPE is "more interested in" seeing you do. If you fly much in actual IMC for any period of time, you'll appreciate the reduced workload that a functional autopilot will provide. Wing-leveler only units are limited, but also pretty rare. Any unit with at least a NAV coupler, and that's most autopilots, are very helpful.

Back