If type ratings follow your grade...

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
Than why does the FAA put a prefix in front of the type on their website?

In other words, I once (incorrectly) believed that if you got a Citation type as a PP, than upgraded to CP, your type was only good for private level flying. Seeing as though this is not the case, why do they prefix types with the level of certificate?
A/B737 or C/C680 for example.

In other words, I once (incorrectly) believed that if you got a Citation type as a PP, than upgraded to CP, your type was only good for private level flying. Seeing as though this is not the case, why do they prefix types with the level of certificate?
Where do you see that? I don’t have any prefixes on my types.

All type ratings are flown to ATP PTS standards regardless of the level of certificate you have when you do the type.

So when Travolta got his 707 type as a private pilot, he had to fly it to ATP standards.

Ive always understood the fact that you demonstrated at the ATP level allows the type to upgrade automatically with your certificate.

All type ratings are flown to ATP PTS standards regardless of the level of certificate you have when you do the type.

So when Travolta got his 707 type as a private pilot, he had to fly it to ATP standards.

Ive always understood the fact that you demonstrated at the ATP level allows the type to upgrade automatically with your certificate.
Exactly my point.... but his type shows as P/707 or something similar. Why??? If he now chooses to get a CP, should his electronic record still show P/707 ???

Exactly my point.... but his type shows as P/707 or something similar. Why??? If he now chooses to get a CP, should his electronic record still show P/707 ???

But it's not a full type, it's a sic type. Get that forth stripe off your jacket

Well, as was pointed out, the 707 would be a bad example since he is only SIC, but he does have a P/LR-JET PIC type.

If he upgraded to Commercial, his database entry would change to C/LR-JET because he already demonstrated ATP PTS mins in that aircraft when he took his original checkride.

A real pilot only wears a big watch....or more than one watch.!!

watches2b.jpg

On a slight tangent, here is something interesting about Travolta: He has types in both the B-707 and B-720. What I find odd is that the 707 is limited to SIC only, but he has no such limitation on the Boeing 720. Not sure why he has or needed both. The 720 is really just a short body 707 which is what I believe he actually owned. I suspect that he first got an SIC type in someone else's 707 and then got PIC typed in his personal airplane. But why the FAA differentiates between the two, I'm not sure.

I was just curious why the Feds put that annotation on the website if it means nothing.

PS- SIC types are a joke, but I think most know that already.

I suspect that he couldn't get the full type rating in a sim, only the SIC and no flying 707 was available. When he got his own plane, he could do the B720 ride in his plane.

So are many of the sim center regular types based on what I’ve been hearing lately.....
I’ve done several types at FSI. Not one resembled a joke. All extremely tough. That said, we had a training facility and officer in the building overlooking all standards.

Sorry...a pet peeve...because it's really not that hard.

than
T͟Han,T͟Hən/
conjunction & preposition
  1. 1.
    introducing the second element in a comparison.
    "he was much smaller than his son"
  2. 2.
    used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast.
    "he claims not to own anything other than his home"
then
T͟Hen/
adverb
  1. 1.
    at that time; at the time in question.
    "I was living in Cairo then"
    synonyms: at that time, in those days; More

2. 2.
    after that; next; afterward.
    "she won the first and then the second game"
    synonyms: next, after that, afterward/afterwards, subsequently, later

Last edited:
I’ve done several types at FSI. Not one resembled a joke. All extremely tough. That said, we had a training facility and officer in the building overlooking all standards.
That’s not what I’ve been hearing on the professional boards. The washout rate/fail to complete is apparently very low and it’s not because there is a surplus of awesome pilots.

It’s all about the $$$.

Just look at the jack wagons that augered the Lear in at TEB and the Gulfstream crew that blew tires last week.

All ‘PIC Typed’ individuals.

The problem with the SIC type is that there is no real standardization. You can pay $$$ and go through a multi day ground and sim course or you can find a friend to take you up and do 61.55 with a logbook entry. Both meet the requirement, because the requirement is so vague.

Sorry...a pet peeve...because it's really not that hard.

than
T͟Han,T͟Hən/
conjunction & preposition
  1. 1.
    introducing the second element in a comparison.
    "he was much smaller than his son"
  2. 2.
    used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast.
    "he claims not to own anything other than his home"
then
T͟Hen/
adverb
  1. 1.
    at that time; at the time in question.
    "I was living in Cairo then"
    synonyms: at that time, in those days; More

2. 2.
    after that; next; afterward.
    "she won the first and then the second game"
    synonyms: next, after that, afterward/afterwards, subsequently, later
Dude, we’re talking type RATINGS, not Typos.....

That’s not what I’ve been hearing on the professional boards. The washout rate/fail to complete is apparently very low and it’s not because there is a surplus of awesome pilots.

It’s all about the $$$.

Just look at the jack wagons that augered the Lear in at TEB and the Gulfstream crew that blew tires last week.

All ‘PIC Typed’ individuals.

The problem with the SIC type is that there is no real standardization. You can pay $$$ and go through a multi day ground and sim course or you can find a friend to take you up and do 61.55 with a logbook entry. Both meet the requirement, because the requirement is so vague.
Indeed true on this SIC part, but any of my four types in a Citation at FSI were way more in depth than my airline Airbus type.
Perhaps the Bus is just too complicated to get into the weeds.

For the Citaition at FSI we practiced procedudures that took us to dark cockpit, then did an arc to a backcourse solely on the single standby instrument.
We do nothing of the sort at the airline. They emphasize (and rightly so) cargo fires, returning to the airport, and evacuations. All good stuff don’t get me wrong, but as a captain on the Bus I would like to train for a dark cockpit.

On a slight tangent, here is something interesting about Travolta: He has types in both the B-707 and B-720. What I find odd is that the 707 is limited to SIC only, but he has no such limitation on the Boeing 720. Not sure why he has or needed both. The 720 is really just a short body 707 which is what I believe he actually owned. I suspect that he first got an SIC type in someone else's 707 and then got PIC typed in his personal airplane. But why the FAA differentiates between the two, I'm not sure.

He might of gotten SIC typed in one of Arthur Jones’s 707s. He and his wife actually started up Jumbolair before Travolta got there. Amazing what $$$ can buy.

Fearless...
I do believe you are correcect that they test all types to ATP standards. but how does that work if one is not yet IR ???

I could be wrong, but I think one can get a type for vfr only.

He might of gotten SIC typed in one of Arthur Jones’s 707s. He and his wife actually started up Jumbolair before Travolta got there. Amazing what $$$ can buy.

Read an article back in the late 70s in Professional Pilot magazine about them. He invented Nautilus. I think they had at least 2/707s and a couple other planes. He was like 60 something and she was in her early 20s. She was typed in all their planes. They'd fly exotic animals back from Africa, giraffes etc, and let them roam free on their land. Later they divorced and she got the joint.

Back