If he who dies with the most toys wins then...

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He bought a bunch of stuff from his youth, but it didn't buy him youth or happiness in the end, so he moved on. It's not uncommon. The things that matter can't be bought, they have to be made to happen; and that takes more than just buying stuff.

Back in the mid 80s when I was a truck driver, I used to pass this large old looking building seemingly in the middle of nowhere. It had a sign stating that it was a car museum. 5 bucks to enter, but I never saw any cars in the gravel parking lot.

One day I see a car, so I pulled in. A very white haired elderly gentleman was standing out side the entrance watching me pull in.

I got out and seeing keys in his hand I asked it the museum was closed. He put the keys in his pocket and said come on in.

Man, there were about 300 cars from the 1890s all the way up to the early 80s. All original but looking in better than new condition.

He was really proud of the 60s and 70s era muscle cars and since that was where my most interest was. He took a lot of time telling me about each one. I think we spent about 4 hours going through the collection.

Some of the interesting ones: He had 2, I believe they were 1970 Mustangs, Boss 429 Mustangs, 4 Daytona Chargers with the wing, sloped nose and of course the 426 Hemi, a 63 split window 'vette, a 1964 or 65 Shelby, Several Shelby Mustangs the GT350 and GT500 versions. He had a 65 Dodge station wagon that was once owned by Richard Petty, I am sure his wife drove it, and of course it was Petty blue with a Hemi.

There was also about 300 flat head Ford V-8s all stored along one wall. All pickled for storage. He said those came from the US Army and were bought when the army sold off its flathead inventory, sometime in the 60s. Brand spankin' new Ford V-8 flatheads for cars, pickups, medium duty and heavy duty trucks.

There was one truck in the collection. He said it was his dads truck. An early 20s Ford 1 1/2 ton I believe, with a flat wooden bed. He said his dad used to load the kids on the back and take them to church every Sunday, and sell watermelons out of the back in the summers.

I could have spent days looking at the cars. After talking to the gentleman I found out he was the owner. He finally confessed after I had asked many times who owned the collection.

I do remember the pride in his voice as he told me about each car. He seemed really pleased that someone of my age could appreciate all the old cars. I believe that looking at the cars made him happy.

As of 2010 that building is still there, but no sign. The gate is locked. I am sure the old gentleman must have passed away since then. I can only wonder what became of those fine vehicles.

I did not have a camera. In my wasted youth I just thought I will stop by again later with a camera and get pictures. Sadly that didn't happen.

Back in the mid 80s when I was a truck driver, I used to pass this large old looking building seemingly in the middle of nowhere. It had a sign stating that it was a car museum. 5 bucks to enter, but I never saw any cars in the gravel parking lot.

Kool story...... Where was the building located???

Kool story...... Where was the building located???

If I remember, it was about 5-10 miles outside of Bastrop, Tx.

I would have to look for it to see it back then, it was sort of set back in the trees.

Now that I look at the other DC-3 it also looks familiar. I might have gone for a ride in it. Will check to see if I have any pics when I get home. Interesting that the owner has a Colorado address but the airplanes are in Missouri.

I found some pictures of this airplane from the spring of 1999. It has been renumbered.

attachment.php

I went for a ride in it because we shared a hangar with it for a while and I knew the guys who flew it. I thought the owner was one of the pilots but now I'm not so sure. I think I've gotten a tour of the other DC-3 (Legend Airways) but I didn't take pictures.

http://www.aviationinmalta.com/Civi...sabroad/tabid/572/language/en-US/Default.aspx

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 22.11.43 .png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 22.11.43 .png
    140.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I think I remember that operation. Didn't they make a go of trying to operate nostalgia flights?

I think I remember that operation. Didn't they make a go of trying to operate nostalgia flights?
That is what I remember. There was also a previous DC-3 painted in camo. Some investigation led me to this.

http://airportjournals.com/pat-wiesner-dont-forget-to-laugh/

This is the person I remember, but since the airplane was donated then sold it doesn't explain the current owner.

Wiesner has also owned two DC-3s. After running the first one under Part 135, he eventually sold it to a gentleman who said he wanted it for missionary work in Africa.

“As it turned out, as soon as he got his hands on it, he sold it,” Wiesner said. “All he wanted was the money.”

Later, Wiesner and Adam Aircraft founder Rick Adam put together the Rocky Mountain Aviation Foundation, and bought a DC-3 they had for several years.
“We did a lot of things with it,” Wiesner said.

That included scenic rides, training for type ratings, and unique memorials, such as scattering ashes.

“It was a great airplane. We always had this idea that we’d make money with it, but we could never get ahead of it,” he said. “Then, we gave it to The Wings Over the Rockies Museum, in the sense that Rocky Mountain Aviation Foundation’s only mission was to service the museum.”

The aircraft served as a “flying ambassador” for the museum until it was sold in autumn 2002, after it became apparent that Wings would benefit more from the cash.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He bought a bunch of stuff from his youth, but it didn't buy him youth or happiness in the end, so he moved on. It's not uncommon. The things that matter can't be bought, they have to be made to happen; and that takes more than just buying stuff.

Exactly right. We try to buy stuff we had when young, thinking we will be young again. Our society denigrates age, while some others revere it. Young and good-looking has become more important than experience and wisdom.

Some of those airplanes are starting to find good new homes. Check out Aerometal International's Facebook Page for some pretty cool footage of N341A taking flight for the first time in years on the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the DC-3.

To me in order for it to count the toys have to be in fly able/drivable condition. Otherwise you've just got a bunch projects/parts.

Some of those airplanes are starting to find good new homes. Check out Aerometal International's Facebook Page for some pretty cool footage of N341A taking flight for the first time in years on the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the DC-3.

I was out there getting something out of our hangar the night they were trying to get it started. They had a ground power unit hooked up to it and cranked, and cranked, and cranked and cranked. After watching them crank it for 30 minutes or so I gave up and left. Glad to hear they got it started and flew it away!

If I remember, it was about 5-10 miles outside of Bastrop, Tx.

I would have to look for it to see it back then, it was sort of set back in the trees.

I know this is an old post but I believe that was the Rosanky Car Museum. The bulk of the collection may be seen at this new location: http://www.dicksclassicgarage.com/about-us/

He had a lot of older cars that are not currently on display in the new museum. I don't know if they were sold off or are in storage somewhere else.:dunno:

Back