If first class on Delta costs...

You’re not the exception, @EvilEagle - NYC is known to be one of the best bases in my airline’s system from a pilot and FA perspective. Lots and lots of awesome folks. I’ve been very happy being based here.

It’s only a can of worms for those steeped in the culture. Rah rah let’s get some student loans and do some rush crap at a frat house.

Or... we could go out, get some work done, and make some companies some money.

My industry dropped that degree requirement decades ago. I make more than a senior regional Captain but a little less than a senior Mainline Captain and do not have a single degree. I also didn’t need a decade to get to that level.

In Telecom sheepskin was replaced with mentors and apprenticeships. We teach our newbies to do it our way. In IT it’s simply “prove what you know in the interview process”. Merit based instead of paperwork from sitting in a room piling up loans.

You might imagine I give hellacious interviews. I don’t care what your sheepskin says. Let’s see if you retained any of it or know anything our business actually needs... it’s not personal, we just need specific talent and I know if someone sat through class and retained something they can learn, but so can the guy or gal who couldn’t afford to go sit in class and built a complete lab in their basement from scraps and taught themselves.

Obviously “taught themselves” doesn’t work in aviation, but if they’re rated and can fly the sim, they’d be done at my place. Then they’d head to indoc and learn “our way” just like the airlines all do anyway, so they either survive or wash out.

Well two different thoughts in your reply pop out to me:

1) Pre-req's or skill? I'm all about having a skill-based corporate culture in the airlines! Man, I would love that but you are right, waaaaaay too steeped in the culture to do that. People might actually get told they aren't the world's greatest pilot. Most of the captains I flew with were very knowledgeable and seemed to have a great grasp on flying the airplane. Most, not all. Those outliers are the ones (primarily) that'll push to never make a change like that- unfortunately or not, the seniority system is here to stay IMHO.

2) Requirement for degree. Again - I agree - there's nothing that a 4-year degree inherently gives you that makes you a better pilot. If the high-paying job you want says you have to cut your hair short and you don't do it that doesn't make your hair more or less important, it just means you can't work for that company. I look at the degree requirement for the airlines as a box filler. Do you have it or not? There are exceptions to every stereotype about people that went to college or not. They are all both true and false depending on the individual. For instance your line about college-goers doesn't apply to me in the slightest: I didn't join a frat or take a college loan; I worked at least two jobs plus did ROTC and full time computer science classes and busted my ass to get a good GPA to get where I wanted to be. Does that mean there aren't guys that perfectly fit your quip? Not at all.

My take on it is that there are thousands of degree programs out there that are simple and relatively cheap. If that's all that is standing between you and flying for a major airline (and that is your goal) you are just cutting off your nose to spite your face. The degree is easy, the pay difference more than makes up for it. It's a square-filler, just do it.

I hear ya on all of that @EvilEagle .. I just feel bad for the aviation biz when I compare the two. They’re missing out on the people we get to hire in my biz because they shoot for the wrong candidates. We find some extremely bright and driven people by paying what we pay. They have to be worth it on the bottom line also, and I see why the airlines can’t pay it when they are always in a race to the bottom on ticket prices. It’s an interesting view from here.

I hear ya on all of that @EvilEagle .. I just feel bad for the aviation biz when I compare the two. They’re missing out on the people we get to hire in my biz because they shoot for the wrong candidates. We find some extremely bright and driven people by paying what we pay. They have to be worth it on the bottom line also, and I see why the airlines can’t pay it when they are always in a race to the bottom on ticket prices. It’s an interesting view from here.
Definitely an imperfect system.

It's on my 'king for a day' list. :D

You’re not the exception, @EvilEagle - NYC is known to be one of the best bases in my airline’s system from a pilot and FA perspective. Lots and lots of awesome folks. I’ve been very happy being based here.
I hear there’s a pretty cool regional pilot too that lives in the area.

My Facebook and Instagram are pretty benign compared to other millenials at my company!

Hahahaha I don’t doubt it! We don’t have too many of the “selfie everything” types at our company but I’ve worked with a few on other projects.

It’s very odd to those of us who used to have to pay to have photos developed.

I’ve got a LOT of photos stashed in my online storage and I’m WAY lower than most friends even my age, from what I hear. Especially the ones with kids. Oh lord the kid photos.... every... where...

Back