Idea to permanently fix Pilot medicals

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
"Any candidate wishing to pursue a career in public office, due to the need for safety of all Citizens, shall be required to apply for and hold an FAA First Class medical certificate prior to service and throughout their time in service."

Sounds like a great way to fix a whole bunch of stuff at once to me. If it's good enough for a lowly airplane pilot who can kill 300 or so people, seems like anyone who can screw up the whole world should be mandated to have one.

(And this ain't just a jab at Hillary falling over either. That was just the idea creator for a much much bigger and better idea for all politicians.)

Secondly, the medical database status and all home addresses will remain in public view for all to see at all times for "additional safety".

Those applying for office below the dog catcher level may have a doctor sign this form instead or may choose to hold a Third Class medical.

Hear, hear!?

Looking at pictures of those holding public office in Washington, most of them look quite a bit fitter than most Americans I see waddling around in everyday life. A first class medical is not an astronaut physical, but I don't see why color vision or some physical requirements essential for the safe piloting of an aircraft should be required for a ground job.

However, I do agree that politicians should undergo screenings to rule out psychological illnesses. Unfortunately, machiavellianism (a manipulative attitude), narcissism (excessive self-love), and psychopathy (lack of empathy) are not unusual in top levels of power- beit politics or in corporations. These are the people with their hands on the levers.

A first class medical is not an astronaut physical, but I don't see why color vision or some physical requirements essential for the safe piloting of an aircraft should be required for a ground job.
I suppose it depends what that person's "ground job" entails. My ground job requires an annual vision test, including color blindness, along with random drug and alcohol testing.

Last edited:
Looking at pictures of those holding public office in Washington, most of them look quite a bit fitter than most Americans I see waddling around in everyday life. A first class medical is not an astronaut physical, but I don't see why color vision or some physical requirements essential for the safe piloting of an aircraft should be required for a ground job.

However, I do agree that politicians should undergo screenings to rule out psychological illnesses. Unfortunately, machiavellianism (a manipulative attitude), narcissism (excessive self-love), and psychopathy (lack of empathy) are not unusual in top levels of power- beit politics or in corporations. These are the people with their hands on the levers.

Obviously my idea is a joke, but color blindness I could agree with.

What other "requirements essential to the safe piloting of an aircraft" would NOT apply to leadership? Mental health? Drug/Alcohol abuse? Serious illness? Proving certain illnesses are under control and managed?

I mean seriously, we make little kids get doctor's reports to play softball in the Nanny State, surely we can make a great argument that even a hang nail could annoy a Congressman and cause them to miss out on an opportunity to vote in a manner the People desire? ;)

We must know the health state of the Statists! Think of the children! :)

When have the politicians ever subjected themselves to the rules they create for the rest of us?

Shhh. I'm trying to pretend they might if we all made them. Haha.

Or just wake folks up to the utter insanity of a government supposedly for the People who makes children get medical exams to play games in a park, while not requiring medical exams, to run the entire country. Toss in mental health exams while they're at it.

Just sayin. Bureaucracies eating their masters should be the ultimate compliment to them, I would think. They voted to create them, after all.

Could put all the fat Congresspeople on mandated sleep schedules with CPAP machines too. That'd be fun.

When have the politicians ever subjected themselves to the rules they create for the rest of us?

Yeah. Think Obama care. No way in hell is congress subject themselves to that. They deserve better. (Tongue-in-cheek)

Let's just make it a requirement to be a pilot to run the country. Might be a damned sight better than what we have been getting. Even with the crazy pilots we all know.
Heck, just put your average Joe/Jane in office - they will do a more conscientious and less self-serving job than career politicians.

I'm pretty sure the "drug/alcohol" prong would get most of them in one fell swoop...

Heck, that would have eliminated at least one president that we've had in recent history.

Assume this happens.

I think it would make it harder on pilots. They'll own their AME and get the kind of preferential treatment we can only dream about. But when we complain, it'll be "Hey... we're not asking you to do anything we aren't doing.".

AMEs want the cash. Fine. I suggest the same solution to this as for speeding... you want money, I want to speed. Let's skip the time consuming legal stuff and just let me buy a license to speed. I'd get a special plate and some training, access to special "high speed" lanes. You still get your cash.

Doctors want the easy money that comes from medicals? Fine. Here's my $125 tribute. Gimme my meaningless paper.

Unusual? Some combination of the three are de facto requirments. . .

Yeah. Think Obama care. No way in hell is congress subject themselves to that. They deserve better. (Tongue-in-cheek)
Also, OSHA regs don't apply on the Hill, last I heard. And no EEO reporting. . .

Let's just make it a requirement to be a pilot to run the country. Might be a damned sight better than what we have been getting. Even with the crazy pilots we all know.
Judging by what people post here I'm not so sure about that...

And Nate for Secretary of the Interior since he is the smartest man in the world. Although I thought his head would be bigger...

Think long and hard about having another Interior Secretary from Colorado. Or Transportation Secretary for that matter.

I couldn't do it anyway. Colorado only exports idiots for those jobs. We're all about sharing. ;)

Back