Ice Pilots on YT

well I sat up and watched all 10 episodes......what big ones flying those water bombers across.

Very cool. Got caught up through episode 10. Lot of "narrator drama", but the flying stuff is fun if you can get past that. Episode 11 aired last Wednesday; waiting for it to be posted so I can find out what led to the gear up landing.

What's your impressions on the various rampies?

What's your impressions on the various rampies?

This is said with the caution that we are only getting 1% of the whole picture:

Kelly a git-er'done gal. I would like to see her crack the whip a little more.

Jeremy-desparately trying not to appear whiney....but is. very. whiney. Actually, I feel for him. I think he has put out, but not been rewarded as well as Audrey or Wilf. However he was told 7 months to the right seat, and it is only 4 when I heard them first talk of the issue. Needs to quit belly-aching, or to make his case with the boss if he thinks he really has a bonafide gripe.

Audrey-here's a great example of reverse discrimination. She has done nothing of note, but is getting advanced ahead of Jeremy who is busting butt and has for many months. Otherwise nothing much ado about her in my book.

Wilf-grates on me, I agree with Jeremy. Something not right with him.

Raman - he should not have passed the prescreening. Really needed to buck up.

Scott - the only half sane one of the bunch even if a bit naive.

A.J. - I'd fly with him, cool dude.

Devan - yeah, he's OK.

Arnie - pleasant elder pilot, pretty easy going. Honestly for his position and experience, I would have expected a more in-charge personality.

the mechanics - ha! About what I'd expect!

Buffalo Joe - everyone says how fearsome he is, but if so he never let fly in front of the cameras. They don't portray him as being completely in control of the his own business.

Mikey - seems in over his head, but a nice guy. Needs some management training. Is doing good tolerating, and training Dad.

Nice review. What about Justin? I'd fly with him, too. Cool, collected, methodical.

ALASKA is twice the land mass of Texas

YUKON Territories is = to Alaska

CANADA is 10 times the land mass of ALASKA

just to put some accuracy on this.

Canada is just a big blue mass above the United States to us Americans. We don't really care. :D

Alaska does matter though.

CHUCK ADAMS
Electra Engineer
49 years old

"I think we would have better success building a space ship and going to Mars."

Chuck is a surly, foul-mouthed mechanical genius with a contempt for pilots and a gift for disappearing when the boss is in the hangar. When Chuck isn't "shooting the bull" with his fellow mechanics, he's the man in charge of Buffalo's Electra maintenance team. And when he's not at work, he's building model airplanes in his garage.

The Electra, or "electrical nightmare" as Chuck calls it, is the only turbine-propelled aircraft in Buffalo's fleet. This presents a whole new world of engineering challenges for Chuck and his team. We'll see Chuck repair an engine in the middle of nowhere in minus 40 conditions, and we'll see him take the Electra on her maiden revenue trip to the Arctic.

Be prepared for his unique brand of humour. His colourful quips can only be described as "Chuckisms."

I haven't seen them show Chuck working on model airplanes (and perhaps they won't)... but my favorite "Chuckism" so far was when he was talking about the prop governor on the Electra:

"They call it a governor because it GOVERNS. Kind of like how an alternator alternates and a carburetor carb-a-toots."

Canada is just a big blue mass above the United States to us Americans. We don't really care.

When I was young, all the cartographers painted Canada white on all their maps, to remind everyone how it was coverered in snow 13 months of the year, from border to border.
And we all lived in igloos, hunted seal & whale or trapped beavers to survive. We all wore lumberjack clothing - esp. those plaid flannel shirts. Despite no electricity we all managed to watch hockey all year long while drinking copious quantities of factory-spiked beer. Well, that last part has some truth to it. Eh?

If we are ever located in the same geographic area I owe you a beer or three.

OK why is Buffalo so upset about the gear-up? And, they are rushing a replacement out from Canada! Surely their contract does not include them being responsible for mx, especially damage caused by the purchaser? If so, hard to imagine them letting three newbs go solo.
Maybe they are just upset about the prolonged stay in Ankara now that they are down to two CL215s?
Also early in ep. 11 Arnie says on the ramp that 'they have the insurance all set up'.
Something doesn't quite jive on their reaction.

Hate to be hard on Arnie but he did yank that one guy's checklist out of his hand, threw it on the glareshield, saying something about them needing to memorize it.

So,,, on the will fly for free site, what do the Ice Pilots possess? :D

Sorry, I had to. I promise I'm not that guy.

OK why is Buffalo so upset about the gear-up? And, they are rushing a replacement out from Canada! Surely their contract does not include them being responsible for mx, especially damage caused by the purchaser? If so, hard to imagine them letting three newbs go solo.

Were they solo, or was the one remaining "hired gun" pilot training them, and missed it? The show seems to be trying very hard NOT to make any of the pilots look bad. That's good, but while they didn't say anything, I didn't get the feeling the Turks were flying on their own yet.

Well, then, if we're going there, the better question would start with: "Which particular Ice Pilot's possessions..." - the singular possessive is used.

---

Poor Mr. Apostrophe - so misunderstood!

Were they solo, or was the one remaining "hired gun" pilot training them, and missed it? The show seems to be trying very hard NOT to make any of the pilots look bad. That's good, but while they didn't say anything, I didn't get the feeling the Turks were flying on their own yet.

It was my impression that when the tanker geared up it only Turks were on board. Remember Jeremy had gone home and the two contract pilots bolted upon delivery. Arnie was on the ground when hit happened.

It was my impression that when the tanker geared up it only Turks were on board. Remember Jeremy had gone home and the two contract pilots bolted upon delivery. Arnie was on the ground when hit happened.

Interesting clash of cultures there. Canadian bush-pilots and very formal turkish military personnel.

I wonder how much the scene with Arnie taking the pre-landing checklist away from his trainee, throwing it it on the glareshield with a dismissive 'that way you'll memorize this stuff' had to do with the gear-up.

Interesting clash of cultures there. Canadian bush-pilots and very formal turkish military personnel.

I wonder how much the scene with Arnie taking the pre-landing checklist away from his trainee, throwing it it on the glareshield with a dismissive 'that way you'll memorize this stuff' had to do with the gear-up.

If you're a military pilot and need a laminated card to remember to check gear down before landing, you need to be doing a different job.

If you're a military pilot and need a laminated card to remember to check gear down before landing, you need to be doing a different job.

So, it is your contention that military transition training into a new class and category of aircraft is based on memorization alone and that there is no role for checklists ?

So, it is your contention that military transition training into a new class and category of aircraft is based on memorization alone and that there is no role for checklists ?

Nope, not at all. My contention was that regarding remembering to lower landing gear. That's so common between types, I don't think you should need a laminated checklist to remember it. Should be covered by your normal flow/mantra that's common to all types.

Another example, to make the point: You need a checklist to remind you to pull back on the yoke when you reach flying speed?

That's so common between types, I don't think you should need a laminated checklist to remember it. Should be covered by your normal flow/mantra that's common to all types.

Actually, it is uncommon to this type, a flying boat with retract gear.

More people have probably gotten hurt by inadvertently putting the gear down on a water landing with an amphib/flying-boat, just because it is part of their 'flow' and they didn't think about what they where doing.

Back