IA Checkride - Used the IPAD (Foreflight)

Thumper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
Today was a good day! After about 50 hours of flight and sim time (always using Foreflight on the IPAD), I took my instrument checkride. The DPE gave me a trip of about 2.5 hours to plan and I used the Foreflight flight planning to work through the routes, airways, mea, approach planning, communication, etc. Although I used DUAT for the weather, I also briefed the weather using the Foreflight imagery for a better "picture" presentation.

I also used Fltplan.com to download my flight info. Of course, this same information was also headsup on the Foreflight map page. The examiner used my mapping/routing on Foreflight to question me during the oral portion. He advised me that the FAA would be doing a routine call to me after the exam to followup on his testing methods, so I'm sure he wanted to make sure we covered absolutely everything on his checklist. To say he was thorough would be a severe understatement.

The examiner said he has only had one other student use the IPAD and that student was not as familiar with the functions as he should have been and ended up not passing the flight portion of the exam. With the IPAD on the yoke mount, I used the approach procedure charts with the georeferencing for all my approaches. It certainly made my briefings, holds and procedure turns a lot smoother as well. The examiner had quite a few Foreflight questions after the exam.

The oral exam was about 2 hours and the actual hobbs time on the flight time was 1.3 hours. We shot an ILS, a VOR with circle to land, and a partial panel GPS with missed and hold. All of the other flight work was done before any of the approaches. I was pretty whipped by the end of the checkride......

I haven't posted much, but would like for all of you to know that I sincerely appreciate the knowledge shared on this board. I certainly felt much better prepared as a result of many of the tips, explanations, and viewpoints I gathered from the postings here. Thanks to all!!!

Congratulations! In many ways, getting the IR gave me more satisfaction than getting the PPL. I guess it was because it seemed so much harder.

Cool write up!!

How much help did you think the geo-ref'd plates help you? We're you more cofident that you were at the point in 3D space you needed to be (on course, correct altitude, etc?)

I trust you're also practicing using "analog" plates/charts so if the iPad goes Tango Uniform, you're still okay and confident?

Come to think of of it, I thought iPad was not legal for primary navigation info? Would using geo-ref approach plates constitute a violation.

Approach plates are legal.

Using geo-ref overlaid on those plates as *primary* or sole navigation in IFR -- illegal.

Checking that you're flying toward the localizer that's on the instrument on the panel, is just good situational awareness.

Lose the localizer on the nav gear in front of you continue the approach with only the iPad, illegal.

Congrats!
Good read too.
I'm probably a month behind you, getting ready for the knowledge test.
Did the FAA offered you a "10% discount on your next purchase" for taking the survey?

Checking that you're flying toward the localizer that's on the instrument on the panel, is just good situational awareness.

I could see a potential conflict arising from a Cavy on where that imaginary line is...had a CFI who belived paper is the future.

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen.

I could see a potential conflict arising from a Cavy on where that imaginary line is..
That's always the case, even with "certified" equipment. Think CDI vs MFD map display.

What's interesting is the reaction of the examiner to the use of the iPad. Takes me back to my IR checkride almost 20 years ago. On mine I was one for the few to have planned my IR cross country and printed out the nav log on that newfangled DUAT thing that you could access with a modem and a DOS PC!

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Congratulations! In many ways, getting the IR gave me more satisfaction than getting the PPL. I guess it was because it seemed so much harder.

It didn't seem harder to me than my my PPL checkride, it WAS harder than my PPL checkride. No question about it.

Back