Display Name

Display name:
Ben2k9
What do you think?

Attachments

• 92660658-B6C4-4C85-B9F6-842BCB3033BD.jpeg
    92660658-B6C4-4C85-B9F6-842BCB3033BD.jpeg
    992.2 KB · Views: 242
Not something I’d buy. I guess I’m out of touch with society because I think it’s a tasteless joke.

I’ve read comments on FB from some that say it’s a tribute. A tribute to what? Mental illness? Strange way of showing it. If it’s not mental illness and some sort of wild prank gone wrong, that doesn’t even deserve a tribute. Anyone with just a cursory knowledge of flight sims and worked around aircraft daily could easily do what he did. His poor attempt at aerobatics wasn’t difficult either.

Oh but its refreshing to see such a break from the boredom of society and oh, his employer treats their people like garbage. Boo hoo. If your life is that boring, then get off your *** and do something about it. If your employer doesn’t treat you with respect, then go elsewhere. Such horrible first world problems we have in this country. I had “bosses” in the Marines that treated me like crap and worked for mediocre pay but I didn’t go steal one of their multimillion dollar F-18s and wreck it.

There’s no honor is what this guy did. There’s no great accomplishment. I don’t even find it ballsy. Just a sad ending to what most likely is a case of mental illness. If you want to show sincere tribute, then start a go fund me in his name for mental health research.

Last edited:
I think most people are just laughing at the spectical of the event. Obviously at the heart of it was a really troubled guy who committed suicide and no that part isn’t funny.

However it is so absolutely absurd when you look at what really happened... and there is a sort of sad beauty in the idea that this sad individual had a few moments of joy before he ended his life.

My wife is fond of telling me I think horrible things are funny and she’s probably right, but with that sense of humor I totally get it. I kind of want one of those shirts too.

I don't find it offensive, but it's also not my thing either. Tributes are for those who have sacrificed in an effort to better others. This is not that.

I’ve read comments on FB from some that say it’s a tribute. A tribute to what? Mental illness? Strange way of showing it.

I’m not going to get into details, but there are a few other mental illnesses we very much celebrate

As for the shirt, I get it, I also get dark humor, would I buy it, no, but that’s just because I’m not into shirts that make statements, well aside from stating my good looks ;)

I posted a video on another forum that allows such things because if I posted it here half of you would die of shock and I would be banned forthwith but anyway the guy says that the reason humor is funny is because it is usually looking at dark subjects involving the human condition. Most jokes are poking fun at our own human failures and being able to laugh at it is our way of dealing with it by transcending the dark for just a moment and allowing ourselves to process the sad subject in a moment of light.

When a loved one dies, and the grieving family comes together, there are funny stories told about the deceased. It is a relief valve from the intense emotion. Some stories or jokes can be quite dark. When a friend of mine committed suicide his other friend told a joke about the method he chose. It was so funny we laughed until we cried (literally because we're also crying with grief) but the reason it was funny was because it perfectly summed up our friend's life and personality. And it momentarily allowed us to transcend the horror of what he had done by viewing it as the logical outcome of his own character.

But here's the thing: We would never tell that joke to strangers or anyone who was not in our inner circle. Such humor is only appropriate in certain private contexts. So no, I would not buy that t-shirt. Not being close to that guy, I don't "get it" if it's meant as transcendent humor about him, and if it's meant to honor what he did, I completely disapprove because he stole property, put other lives at risk and probably will cause costly changes in security theater.

What do you think?

This is in a way ridiculing the person who took his life. No, it is not funny. Would you wear a t-shirt with the 9-11 planes crashing into the towers?

I will admit to thinking when I first heard the news, “Damn, that’s taking Kevin Lacey’s tag line to the extreme!” But I certainly wouldn’t wear the shirt, and it’s sad that someone would try to earn a profit off someone else’s demise.

This is in a way ridiculing the person who took his life. No, it is not funny. Would you wear a t-shirt with the 9-11 planes crashing into the towers?

Uhhhh, there’s a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference

Someone choosing to take their own, and just their own, life.

Vs

mass murder.

Come on now, you know this

Uhhhh, there’s a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference

Someone choosing to take their own, and just their own, life.

Vs

mass murder.

Come on now, you know this

You are correct. But they are both tragedies. People died, self inflicted or murdered. Making a tee shirt for just drawing attention seems tasteless.

After 9-11, there were people in Manhattan who were trying to sell "I survived 9-11" t-shirts, with animations of the towers on fire. It only lasted a few days. I was surprised that nobody beat the crap out of those folks who were trying to peddle those. Well, probably what happened was people did start beating the crap out of those folks.

I also agree with James that it's a very different thing and you can't compare the two.

Two things:

One: I can understand gallows humor, but since someone, clearly disturbed, actually died in this case I do find the shirt to be somewhat in poor taste. Listening to that ATC added a lot of humanity to it "guess I have a few screws loose, didn't really know it until now"

Two: it's a blatant rip off from the shirt that RadarContact was offering. Which, in my opinion, is in MUCH better taste especially since everyone survived
https://radarcontact.com/collections/mens-t-shirts/products/sullys-safari-mens-t-shirt

upload_2018-8-27_12-21-43.png

btw, if anyone hasn't been on RadarContact, they have some great funny not-that-dorky aviation apparel

Not that funny. It was actually a tragedy, but that's OK, you and the shirt guy laugh it up.
So ... don't buy the T-shirt.
You people need to lighten up and realize that humor is about pointing out our own human flaws.

Everybody has different taste, everybody finds humor in different things. I don't find this specific shirt particularly humorous but that's just my own opinion. I am entitled to it. As is the person who would laugh. *shrug*

Back