I told the wife that I would never get a motorcycle...

I told my wife I would never ride anything with only 2 wheels....

3a54e37071e5d35aa637f9fcbcc94b93.jpg

Playing along with the history lesson...

I "came of age" in the 1960's. My first bike was a Yamaha 80:

8753799335_e381847f05.jpg

I have no idea if my "gang" was typical, but Tom had a Honda Super 90, and Bobby had a Sears (Gilera) 106. Rented Honda 50's were a hoot. Bikes like these were what you generally started out on. I went on to get a Bultaco 250, a BMW 250 and a 250cc Yamaha DT1. Friends eventually stepped up to Triumph and BSA 650's, and even a Harley, all of which seemed huge at the time. My first "substantial" bike was a BMW R50 - 500cc and all of 26 hp.

6778067381_8f1c19b5bc.jpg

I think this gradual progression was beneficial and a safe way to get acclimated to riding. I still remember the thrill on my Yamaha 80 of just being able to go up a hill by twisting my wrist and without pedaling!

Just like one can learn to fly in a Cirrus, one can learn to ride on a powerful sport bike. But I can't help but feel something is lost in the process. And the seductive power of a modern mid-sized bike can get a new rider in over their heads in just a couple seconds.

Anyway, enough nostalgia...for now!

Lastly - you guys are all bad influences. Especially that @Morgan3820. Now I'm secretly looking at a BMW G310GS or a Yamaha YZF-R3 (and leaning toward the R3. Don't tell my wife.[/QUOTE]

I always get the blame.:dunno:

A friend of mine had an old R50. Even though it’s only 26 HP it’s a fun bike! He’s owned it since high school (60s or 70s I believe).

Lastly - you guys are all bad influences. Especially that @Morgan3820. Now I'm secretly looking at a BMW G310GS or a Yamaha YZF-R3 (and leaning toward the R3. Don't tell my wife.

We won't tell your wife.

If you're really concerned about your wife not wanting you to have a motorcycle, here's what you do. Go buy the bike, but don't keep it at home. Keep finding excuses to go out and ride. Sneak out occasionally and go for a ride, but don't ever tell her about it. See if you can find some friends who also like to ride, and set up group rides. Use your cell phone to do this and rather than putting their full names in on your contact list, just their initials. Eventually she'll be convinced that you're having an affair and will confront you about it. Then you can tell her that you're not, that you just bought a motorcycle. She'll be so relieved that she won't care about the motorcycle.

How’d you like the CSC?......considering an RX4 for Teresa as her summer Moto (rides a BMW F650GS twin in FL)

CSC is an awesome organization (Steve Seidner, the owner, and the support model he put together.) Based on the product and his support, I'd say that combined product and service, it's pretty good. The product itself (mine was the RX3 with the 250cc thumper motor) was pretty good for the price. There were things I didn't care for, but most could be easily remedied.

The transmission was the one issue that would make me pause to recommend to a relatively new rider, at least for the RX3. Experienced riders will know what to do and get used to it (I did) but new riders will wonder why they can't get it into 1st gear, or why they are hung up and can't get into 2nd (or find 2nd gear.) A change in factory engine oil to Mobil 1 helped that, but there was still the occasional hang-up. I understand the RX4 doesn't have this problem, but I've not tried that bike.

Other issues with the RX3 included a front brake that were sub-standard. I upgraded to the larger diameter rotor and the sinter forged brake pads to get adequate bite from the front. I changed the fork oil to a heavier weight to get better control, I changed the chain because that was a known wear item destined to fail around 6k miles.

I had to be careful with the bike at highway speeds because of buffeting that induced a wobble. Going to an aftermarket windscreen took care of that. My wide shoulders probably didn't help, but the aforementioned windscreen not only sent air around the sides, but over my long-torso body and helmet.

Parts were cheap, so that always helped. And the bike never broke on me. I did drop the bike a couple of times and the crash bars did their job. A can of semi-gloss black barbeque paint and it was all good again. Replacement crash bars were something silly like $65 for both upper and lower bars at the time.

I actually enjoyed the ride, but wanted more power as the 250 really didn't have anything left on the highway. I'm sure the RX4 will be a bit more robust, but probably a bit heavier as well. My experiences with the RX3 would actually help support consideration for the RX4, especially knowing CSC's reputation to support and stand behind the product.

If your wife rides a F650GS, I think the RX4 with the 450cc engine could be OK, but there would some substantial drop in horsepower. (I think 71 hp for the F650GS, and 40 horsepower for the RX4?)

EB112F63-D9E5-4834-9E40-8E37315ED31E.jpeg

If you're really concerned about your wife not wanting you to have a motorcycle, here's what you do. Go buy the bike, but don't keep it at home. Keep finding excuses to go out and ride. Sneak out occasionally and go for a ride, but don't ever tell her about it. See if you can find some friends who also like to ride, and set up group rides. Use your cell phone to do this and rather than putting their full names in on your contact list, just their initials. Eventually she'll be convinced that you're having an affair and will confront you about it. Then you can tell her that you're not, that you just bought a motorcycle. She'll be so relieved that she won't care about the motorcycle.

My wife tracks me on my phone! I think I may have mentioned in another thread, but my wife is Ukrainian. She KNOWs what I'm doing and where I'm going before I even think about it or get there!

Any deceit will have long lasting effects (like being reminded of the incident for the rest of my life... however short that will be after she finds out.)

And in Los Angeles, she would FIND a river to ensure that I'm floating face down in it. That's the Ukrainian way. :p

I looked at motorcycle gear again today. Can motorcycle boots be dual purpose with hiking boots? What makes motorcycle boots special? I am not a big boot person. I am more of a sneaker guy but I recognize that sneakers are a definite no. I do hike occasionally so I already have some over the ankle leather hiking boots.

Last edited:
I looked at motorcycle gear again today. Can motorcycle boots be dual purpose with hiking boots? What makes motorcycle boots special? I am not a big boot person. I am more of a sneaker guy but I recognize that sneakers are a definite no. I do hike occasionally so I already have some over the ankle leather hiking boots.

Motorcycle clothing has a couple properties. It's designed to be abrasion resistant. That's the big one. That's why riding jeans cost $200 - $300 and Levi's cost $60. I have one pair of actual "riding jeans." They have kevlar in them. I also have riding leathers that once again, are reinforced in certain places so that they will last while friction decelerates you from 60 mph to a standstill. Ordinary clothing - jeans, shirts, shoes, will disintegrate in short order. Actual motorcycle shoes also have reinforcements in places where your feet are likely to be damaged. So they'll have heel reinforcements, ankle pads, arch pads and reinforced toe boxes. Most I've seen are not as flexible as street shoes because once again, they are designed to withstand impact and then being drug along asphalt at highway speeds. Even many lightweight clothing options (shoes included) designed for summer riding have strategically placed ballistic panels and foam or plastic reinforcements. It's not the most comfortable stuff to wear, and it sucks buying it because it's expensive for what you get. Like you pay $200 for a pair of tennis shoes and they aren't featured in anybody's music video. But if you ever use it for its intended purpose it'll seem cheap. Motorcycle gear is odd in that it is expensive, it's really "single use," and it's stuff that you buy hoping that you never use it for what it's meant to be used for.

LoLPilot stated it well. Good boots will give you toe protection, plus armor points for ankle protection and heel protection (primary areas for injury.) I had Siri Apex boots that I loved. Took a few days to break in, but I could walk around in them and they provided substantial protection.
1FF737A1-6715-45E1-A934-2983AFAB2492.jpeg

Last edited:

You want abrasion resistance, a non-slip sole (think stopping on an oil spot and putting your feet down), ankle protection, and no laces to get caught on a foot peg.

Specialized motorcycle boots do all this best, but sturdy work boots are sufficient. I crashed wearing steel-toed work boots and they held up fine. But they are heavier and less comfortable than motorcycle boots, they don’t extend as far up the calf, and you can’t feel the shifter as well.

From a Honda brochure I still have...

35231103620_42cf57d267_z.jpg

34809017083_15fcbafac3_z.jpg

34776625004_228c4be332_z.jpg

That Super Hawk was truly lust-worthy at the time! 99 MPH!!!

Love that Super Hawk. My uncle had one when I was a little kid, and I still remember him putting me on the gas tank and taking me for a ride. What a thrill.

I think once you put your hands on some those boots, you'll be pleased with the protection they provide. They may not be entirely comfortable when they are new, but my boots always broke in nicely and felt great eventually.

Here's couple safety tips. Your clutch and brake levers have a little ball on the end of them. If that ball ever breaks off for whatever reason, replace before the next ride, it could stab you if you don't. Your grips may degrade eventually and the rubber that covers the end of the handlebar might come off, saw a 16 year old kid lose a finger when the handlebar acted like a cookie cutter on his hand.

Crazy, WTF things can happen when you think, "oh, I'll be fine, I'll order that part later, after this ride."

I think once you put your hands on some those boots, you'll be pleased with the protection they provide. They may not be entirely comfortable when they are new, but my boots always broke in nicely and felt great eventually.

Here's couple safety tips. Your clutch and brake levers have a little ball on the end of them. If that ball ever breaks off for whatever reason, replace before the next ride, it could stab you if you don't. Your grips may degrade eventually and the rubber that covers the end of the handlebar might come off, saw a 16 year old kid lose a finger when the handlebar acted like a cookie cutter on his hand.

Crazy, WTF things can happen when you think, "oh, I'll be fine, I'll order that part later, after this ride."

keep your equipment in good order. Take care of the small stuff. Just like a plane. :thumbsup:

I was wearing a pair of combat boots when we got hit. Didn't wear that pair again as they took a beating. Probably why I still have my left foot. I lost some skin off the top of one of my shoulders, but the jacket I had on wasn't touched. I never did figure that one out. Oh, as I've mentioned before, get a good helmet and wear it always when riding. I know from the line of curb paint on the one I had that it saved my life.

BTW, fit also matters. When I went down I was wearing a mesh jacket, which did it's job very well except... The adjustment strap around my left elbow was too loose, allowing the armor to shift out of position. Road rash on that elbow was the only scrape my upper body took.

The gear does work very well. Buy it, adjust it to fit snugly, and wear it. All the time.

If you're doing things correctly there will be no such thing as a panic stop. I don't think I've had one in all the years I've ridden. You should have identified whatever the conflict is well before it becomes a conflict. As soon as there is a potential conflict one set of fingers goes to the brakes, the other to the clutch. Can't do one without the other. I think covering the brakes all time is a bad idea, takes your focus away from what's in front of you. That said, ride your ride. I'll ride mine. I took a motorcycle course one time to get out of a ticket. I don't recall any particular wisdom gleaned from it.

If you're doing things correctly there will be no such thing as a panic stop. I don't think I've had one in all the years I've ridden. You should have identified whatever the conflict is well before it becomes a conflict. As soon as there is a potential conflict one set of fingers goes to the brakes, the other to the clutch. Can't do one without the other. I think covering the brakes all time is a bad idea, takes your focus away from what's in front of you. That said, ride your ride. I'll ride mine. I took a motorcycle course one time to get out of a ticket. I don't recall any particular wisdom gleaned from it.
Covering the front brake is in no way a distraction....once it becomes second nature (shortly) it is actually a distraction not to....and it clearly lowers one’s response time.
Agree with the idealized world of identifying and minimizing risks to panic stops, but really?....do you always know when/where Bambi will jump out in your path?
Covering the front brake is a great technique for trail braking too....but that’s a whole other discussion there...

Last edited:
Covering the front brake is in no way a distraction....once it becomes second nature (shortly) it is actually a distraction not to....and it clearly lowers one’s response time.
Agree with the idealized world of identifying and minimizing risks to panic stops, but really?....do you always know when/where Bambi will jump out in your path?
Covering the front brake is a great technique for trail braking too....but that’s a whole other discussion there...
If you're watching ahead, absolutely. I've yet to be surprised by wildlife or motorists. My one get-off was because of very limited visibility. Can't avoid what you can't see. Situational awareness is everything on a bike. You should be watching everything all the time. If you're surprised by stuff on the road you're doing it wrong. I have to admit though, I don't make a habit of riding on country roads in the dark, which is when most wildlife strikes occur.

Covering the front brake is in no way a distraction

100% agree with covering the front brake as well as knowing how to trail brake deep into corners, and even how to brake past the apex. Like this past weekend when I right at the apex I saw a car that was coming the other way attempt a 3pt turn in front of me. Really? Being able to get on the brakes quick, and get on them harder as the bike stood up, made it a non event. Don't know how to brake hard in a corner? *SPLAT*

If you're watching ahead, absolutely. I've yet to be surprised by wildlife or motorists.

Micheal, you're a decent person in person, but on the net you're either totally full of bovine excrement, or a master baiter. Can't decide which...

Anyone who puts in big miles on two wheels, no matter how good they are at watching ahead, is going to eventually be surprised by a road situation. How you handle that surprise determines the outcome.

Yesterday, Cherohala Skyway, very mild kink in the road, doing about 70 here. I prefer the guys taking pictures in more exciting corners, but oh well.

Capture.JPG

Micheal, you're a decent person in person, but on the net you're either totally full of bovine excrement, or a master baiter. Can't decide which...

Anyone who puts in big miles on two wheels, no matter how good they are at watching ahead, is going to eventually be surprised by a road situation. How you handle that surprise determines the outcome.

Agree 100%.

I went for at least a decade without any certifiable, “OH SH*T!” moments. I try to look ahead searching for lots of subtle clues, and have slowed down a bit over the years to compensate for what I know are slower reflexes.

But right after getting my TW200, I was cruising back home on Old RTE 5 out of Blairsville, GA. A car coming the other way was stopped, waiting to make a left turn. Then, without warning, they began the turn, directly in my path. I swerved hard right, just missing them, but leaving the road and coming to a stop in some high grass. No harm done, but had there been a guardrail or culvert or drop-off or fire hydrant or almost anything to the right, it could have been quite nasty.

As an aside, why did I decide to swerve rather than brake? Well, I can say without question that braking would have put me into the side of the car at maybe 25 mph or so. But the bigger point as we describe what our thought processes were in any “panic” situation is that little, if any, thought goes into it. We react reflexively, then go back and fabricate a “just so” story about all the options we considered before doing what we did. The good news is training and experience can assist us in honing proper reflexes.

Last edited:

I've been wondering if Michael has ever actually ridden a motorcycle or if he just read a bunch of articles about riding. His narrative sounds more like a high school student pretending he knows a lot of stuff on the internet than a middle-aged-pushing-AARP-aged man speaking from experience. Doesn't just go for riding, given his comments on my impending Harley upgrades and elsewhere.

Goes for anything. Motorcycles, cars, airplanes. With experience you get better at the predictions and so fewer things surprise you and you react to it better. But things will still pop up in the blink of an eye. Any of us with miles under our belts should be able to point to some of them.

I remember back when Laurie and I were engaged or first married (forget the exact timeline - our engagement was only a few months so it blends together) we rode the KZ1000P that my buddy kept at our house down to the Jersey shore to take the ASA 101 sailing class. About 20 miles from home (turning from I-80 onto I-180 in Pennsylvania) merging everything was clear up ahead, I turned my head for the split second to check my blind spot, looked back and there was a deer that we passed within 6" of. I still remember seeing its face. 6" more and we'd have been dead most likely. Yeah, it was dusk and so the time when they pop out and harder to see. So while not unexpected for a deer to pop out like that, it was still a surprise. Nothing I could do at that point.

There's more than that, but that one sticks out. I do make a point of not riding at night or dusk these days.

This Yamaha just got moved from one hangar to another M94-KPWT. 113 cubic inch Roadliner. That is 1/4 of a big block Chevy 454, so the cylinders are the same size.

The nice thing about "Jap Junk" is that you don't have to stop at every dealer along the way for maintenance. (from Consumer Reports)
upload_2020-6-8_7-20-7.png

7UNEO7.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-8_7-16-9.png
    upload_2020-6-8_7-16-9.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 3
I've owned quite a few BMW's over the years, but would be loathe to buy a new one due to reliability concerns. That said, my two K1200RS's have been quite reliable overall. More recent models seem less so. It's sad when Ducati beats you out on reliability!

Sadly, in Iron Butt competitions BMW rear drive failures have been way too commonplace. At 80,000+ miles, my 1999 has been through one rear drive so far.

My Triumph had problems during the first year but it's been solid ever since. I chased oil leaks and coolant leaks for months. I swear, the only fluids the Brits know anything about are tea and beer. Then there was a problem with an exhaust flapper (seems like there was a recall for that). But no problems at all in the last 5 years.

Mine was the first year of a new model Daytona, so it's not too surprising that there were a few birthing pains. All covered under warranty.

At 21kmi, and haven't been back to the dealer since the 600mi service. I do all my own wrenching, and maintain it per the FM. The '03 R1150RT I owned went 90kmi in seven years, and was still in great shape when I sold it to the next guy. I hope this one is reliable. The Ducati that preceded the GS was not.

OK, time for Steingar's method of never being surprised while on a motorcycle. Works OK for cars, better for bikes. You watch ahead always. You can look behind in your mirrors now and again, so you know what's in your immediate vicinity. Every vehicle, person, and animal you see you do one and only one thing. You ask "how is that going to kill me today". "What can it do to cause me a deal". I see a car coming the other way I'm already planning what do do when it turns left right in front of me. Yes it's happened, and has done with sufficient frequency to not be unusual. If I see a car ready to pull out I assume he will do so at the very worst time and what will I do. Yes, it's happened over and over again. If you're riding next to the woods assume a deer going to come springing out. Admittedly, that hasn't happened to me, but I don't ride rural areas at night, which is when such fauna is most active.

I think the fact that I ridden so long and so far with so little mishap and so little actual ability gives me some small expertise. I am never surprised on a bike, or at least I haven't been since I started riding in the 80's. If you do what I've just outlined you won't be surprised either.

I chased oil leaks and coolant leaks for months. I swear, the only fluids the Brits know anything about are tea and beer.

I think I heard somewhere that the reason the British never developed a robust computer industry is that the engineers were never able to figure out how to make a server leak oil. :)

Sadly, in Iron Butt competitions BMW rear drive failures have been way too commonplace. At 80,000+ miles, my 1999 has been through one rear drive so far.

My buddy who has a R1200GS that clicked over 100,000 miles has gone through a rear drive as well. To your point, it appears that it's a common problem.

My buddy who has a R1200GS that clicked over 100,000 miles has gone through a rear drive as well. To your point, it appears that it's a common problem.

A final drive over 100,000 or 10 sets of chains and sprockets over 100,000mi, pick your poison.

A final drive over 100,000 or 10 sets of chains and sprockets over 100,000mi, pick your poison.

Having ridden both, I kind of prefer the chain and sprocket setup, but I think it is a prejudice type thing. My Honda handled well and was shaft drive. My biggest complaint was that I had a seal failure and it was a rather expensive repair. I like the simplicity of the chain and sprocket, and I also like the ability to swap out final drive ratios.

Last edited:
Having ridden both, I kind of prefer the chain and sprocket setup, but I think it is a prejudice type thing. My Honda handled well and was sprocket. My biggest complaint was that I had a seal failure and it was a rather expensive repair. I like the simplicity of the chain and sprocket, and I also like the ability to swap out final drive ratios.

LOL!

Tomato, tahmahtoe. It's nice not to have to adjust and lube a chain every 500mi. I've had plenty of both, but at this stage of my riding career futzing with chains is something I can do without.

I think I heard somewhere that the reason the British never developed a robust computer industry is that the engineers were never able to figure out how to make a server leak oil. :)

Triumphs don't leak. They mark their territory to scare the Harleys away.

LOL!

Tomato, tahmahtoe. It's nice not to have to adjust and lube a chain every 500mi. I've had plenty of both, but at this stage of my riding career futzing with chains is something I can do without.

I'm still at a point where I want that few percent more power transfer.

Back