I Think It Will Work

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Working on connector to connect GPS to ELT this weekend. The final step was to seal the connector with RTV.

Had 3 tubes of RTV in the tool box. All three were hard had to cut the base of the tube to get RTV to seal the connector. Threw all three tubes in the garbage.

It's the same whenever I use silicone, it sits to long before the next use. I figured next time I would use the food saver and vacuum seal the tube to keep it fresh...:)

Last edited:
They need to package RTV like eye-drops.

and when will they come out with a paint aerosol can that can survive more than a month on the shelf after first use?

Go outside, turn can upside down, spray til no paint coming out, return to shelf. I have 10 year old ones that work fine.

Yup. Always works for me too. Been doing that for many years. Have a few in the garage now that will spray if I wanted them to.

Last edited:
Go outside, turn can upside down, spray til no paint coming out, return to shelf. I have 10 year old ones that work fine.

We must buy different brands. I have done that as a ritual for years, alas without any success.
I even take off the tip where possible and clean it in lacquer thinner right after use. Or put the attached ones upside down in a small vial of LT to clean those ones.
Have tried storing them in any of three orientations, doesn't help.
Of course, shake for an excessive amount of time before using so the solids won't enter the dip tube. Still no joy.

Working on connector to connect GPS to ELT this weekend. The final step was to seal the connector with RTV.

Had 3 tubes of RTV in the tool box. All three were hard had to cut the base of the tube to get RTV to seal the connector. Threw all three tubes in the garbage.

It's the same whenever I use silicone, it sits to long before the next use. I figured next time I would use the food saver and vacuum seal the tube to keep it fresh...:)

put a box nail into the open end of the tube, put Saran Wrap (plastic clingy stuff you use to wrap leftover food) over the nail all the way to the bottom of the tube, and put a TIGHT rubber band around the body of the tube.

Jim

I'm guessing an ACK E-04? Did you make up the test rig to validate the GPS signal?

I have found that removing and cleaning the nozzle in lacquer thinner and then placing a drop of oil on the can top before replacing the nozzle to be effective. When reusing, spray some paint to flush the oil out of the nozzle. Even works for a can of epoxy paint.

Also - Is RTV a legitimate sealant for connectors? I thought there would a potential corrosion issue.

I have found that removing and cleaning the nozzle in lacquer thinner and then placing a drop of oil on the can top before replacing the nozzle to be effective. When reusing, spray some paint to flush the oil out of the nozzle. Even works for a can of epoxy paint.

Also - Is RTV a legitimate sealant for connectors? I thought there would a potential corrosion issue.
upload_2018-9-13_18-59-14.png

Question is why do you have three old tubes of RTV in your toolbox?

Very common actually, RTV, proseal, heat shrink boots, more proseal and RTV. A whole lot of antenna installation instructions tell you to seal all fastener holes by filling them full of RTV and seal around the base as final installation steps. As much corrosion as we find under antennas you would think sealant would be maintained better.

Yes, some RTVs are corrosive, others are not.

That works fine, untill someone like Rustoleum fixed it so they will spray upside down just as well as right side up. Then what do ya do?

If there's no pickup tube, you'd have to assume laying it horizontal would work? :confused::confused::confused: Seems unlikely.

There has to be some sort of a flop tube inside them. If nothing else remove the spray tip, clean, add a drop of oil into the can top opening, and replace the tip. Spray to wash the oil out prior to next application.

I also used heat shrink over the connections before applying the RTV. I don't think I'll have any corrosion issues.
Question is why do you have three old tubes of RTV in your toolbox?
Had a couple of different types.

We must buy different brands. I have done that as a ritual for years, alas without any success.
I even take off the tip where possible and clean it in lacquer thinner right after use. Or put the attached ones upside down in a small vial of LT to clean those ones.
Have tried storing them in any of three orientations, doesn't help.
Of course, shake for an excessive amount of time before using so the solids won't enter the dip tube. Still no joy.
Store the spray can on its side the sediment is clogging the pick up tube. on its side the sediment won't get into the pickup tube.
shake well :)

Have you seen the new catalyzed urethane in aerosol can? you punch in the plunger on the bottom of the can, shake for 3 minutes, and you have 24 hours to use.

Store the spray can on its side the sediment is clogging the pick up tube. on its side the sediment won't get into the pickup tube.

I could have sworn I posted that I'd tried storing them in any of three orientations. If not, well I have. Pulled one down this week which had been stored on its side, nope.

I could have sworn I posted that I'd tried storing them in any of three orientations. If not, well I have. Pulled one down this week which had been stored on its side, nope.
My best luck had been to turn upside down and spray till clear as others have mentioned. Shake the heck out it then shake and shake it again and spray.

Yer not doing somptin right, no one else is having your problem.

My best luck had been to turn upside down and spray till clear as others have mentioned. Shake the heck out it then shake and shake it again and spray.

Try shaking well. Then place the can in hot-ish water and let sit for 15 minutes. Shake again.

Works for me spraying Tempo Epoxy Prop paint.

Back