I think I lost at least 1 cabin in the Great "Smoky" Mountains...

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by FORANE, Nov 29, 2016.

1. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Kill off the trees and you'll have erosion like nobody's business. That area gets loads of rainfall. They may call them the Smokey Mountains, but what I've seen when I was there was mostly water based fog.

2. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    When I lived in the hills the advice was to clear brush and limb all the trees up to at least 6 feet and some guys said 10 feet. The idea was to eliminate the path for a ground fire to move up into the trees. No idea if it helped (and sorta doubt it did) once a fire was in the trees and moving towards a home. There was also supposed to be a clear space around the home but I forget what that dimension was supposed to be. My home had more than 10 feet on three sides. The front faced the downhill side of the slope and had trees near the deck. The deck always looked to me like the first place a wildfire would set on fire even if I covered it with dirt before evacuating.

3. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    Holy cow! Thats a foundation!!

Hope the rest of the rebuild goes well. Love G'burg, rented a house on the Arts & Crafts Trail for my honeymoon.

4. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Glad to hear it’s moving along. A neighborhood house that burnt around the same time here still isn’t finished yet, and one that burnt after that, hasn’t even been started. Hard to find good contractors I guess.

5. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    I have already cut down a half dozen or so large trees that burned so bad we felt they were a threat to falling on the new construction.
    The build site has a mascot. A daily visitor, or more accurately a family of visitors. .. mama bear and cubs. I would upload video but the upload a file button said it wasn't a supported file type.
    Some owners are going to run into trouble with the new building code requiring off street parking adequate to allow a vehicle to turn around on the property. I wonder who determines that. I am told if a lot has inadequate space for vehicles to turn around on the lot that the lot may not be used for overnight rental purposes and is limited to permanent resident use.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Nice of government to be so helpful in y’all’s rebuilds. Saving everyone from... what they already had.

FORANE likes this.