I think I lost at least 1 cabin in the Great "Smoky" Mountains...

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by FORANE, Nov 29, 2016.

1. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Kill off the trees and you'll have erosion like nobody's business. That area gets loads of rainfall. They may call them the Smokey Mountains, but what I've seen when I was there was mostly water based fog.

2. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    When I lived in the hills the advice was to clear brush and limb all the trees up to at least 6 feet and some guys said 10 feet. The idea was to eliminate the path for a ground fire to move up into the trees. No idea if it helped (and sorta doubt it did) once a fire was in the trees and moving towards a home. There was also supposed to be a clear space around the home but I forget what that dimension was supposed to be. My home had more than 10 feet on three sides. The front faced the downhill side of the slope and had trees near the deck. The deck always looked to me like the first place a wildfire would set on fire even if I covered it with dirt before evacuating.

3. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    Holy cow! Thats a foundation!!

Hope the rest of the rebuild goes well. Love G'burg, rented a house on the Arts & Crafts Trail for my honeymoon.

4. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Glad to hear it’s moving along. A neighborhood house that burnt around the same time here still isn’t finished yet, and one that burnt after that, hasn’t even been started. Hard to find good contractors I guess.

5. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    I have already cut down a half dozen or so large trees that burned so bad we felt they were a threat to falling on the new construction.
    The build site has a mascot. A daily visitor, or more accurately a family of visitors. .. mama bear and cubs. I would upload video but the upload a file button said it wasn't a supported file type.
    Some owners are going to run into trouble with the new building code requiring off street parking adequate to allow a vehicle to turn around on the property. I wonder who determines that. I am told if a lot has inadequate space for vehicles to turn around on the lot that the lot may not be used for overnight rental purposes and is limited to permanent resident use.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Nice of government to be so helpful in y’all’s rebuilds. Saving everyone from... what they already had.

FORANE likes this.
  7. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    The massive foundation is done. imagejpeg_0.jpg
    The subfloor on the main level.
    Spur 1-30-18.jpg

old deadwood burned in the fire used as a temporary retaining wall being replaced with permanent wall of block, and floor of main level going down.
    imagejpeg_3.jpg

Radar Contact and Tyjay30 like this.
  8. SaltH2OHokie

SaltH2OHokie Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Hell of a foundation wall there.

I get a kick out of residential guys complete ignorance or disregard for OSHA regs, and for the most part it appears OSHA takes a similar view of residential guys... But in the commercial/industrial world there'd be citations written for a fraction of what you showed in your pictures there.

*To be clear, I'm not suggesting that we need more enforcement. I'm personally a big fan of "you're a big boy/girl, you make your own safety judgements" in a lot of cases. I just don't like uneven enforcement of anything.

9. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    I mostly like that guy's beard. That takes dedication to go all "ZZ Top" on the facial hair.

10. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Yup he's the builder; great guy.
    We have some mountain folk up in these parts.

11. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    I can see that they want seasonal rentals to have sufficient off-street parking so the 'folk from elsewhere' don't block the mountain roads with their SUVs. But enough space to turn around ? Do they think tourists are too dumb to back up a car ? Probably just a mechanism to increase the availability of long term residential property.

12. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    I wouldnt care if I didn't have to share the workman's comp risk with those contractors.

13. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    You probably don’t share the risk unless you are a construction contractor. Each category of business has its own rating and fee multiplier (for lack of a better word).

14. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Oh, I know, I witnessed several of them at Neyland Stadium! We made a detour through G'burg on our way to Knoxville for the OU-UT football game a few years back. The wife and I have t-shirts from one of the distilleries (Ole Smokey I think) in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. We happened to be there the same weekend as the big Pigeon Forge Fall Rod Run, which was great for gearheads like us!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Those rod runs are fantastic. we bought bikes to go ride through the last one. A few years back we got married on a rod run weekend.

16. ElPaso Pilot

ElPaso Pilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    ElPaso Pilot
    Ha!

Coming from OSHA regulated environments, I have to recalibrate every time I go to NYC and head to the subway.

Platforms with multiple fall hazards, exposed high voltage power sources, fast moving equipment without guarding, zero operator training, children and drunks running free on the job site, and nothing but a stripe of yellow paint to keep everyone safe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  17. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    OSHA tends not to spend time on small-time contractors or day laborers. Unless an accident happens. The bigger you get to be, the bigger target you are, and the more likely they are to hang you on your petard.

18. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    It took more than 4 months for one of the houses down the street to get a permit for renovations after a fire. House not destroyed (so no need for planning approval, just permits). Has to be brought up to current code, adding thousands of dollars even in sections not burnt. We're now 7 months in and it's still over a month from completion. Assuming that the inspectors pass it.

denverpilot likes this.
  19. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Trying to keep up with fast eddie but he's too fast. 20180317_105839.jpg 20180317_110344.jpg 20180317_105142.jpg 20180317_110114.jpg

Radar Contact and denverpilot like this.
  20. Half Fast

Half Fast Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    Cluemeister likes this.
  21. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    I've already got a pole barn, I think... 20180319_112038.jpg 20180319_111848.jpg or is it a shed?

22. Half Fast

Half Fast Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
  23. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    None of the above. Barns and sheds have walls to go with the roof. What you have there is a roof on poles...which is not the same a poles on roofies.

charheep likes this.