I TAKE IT PERSONALLY

AP, while I often disagree with some of your positions, I fully agree with this post.

Those that won't abide need to be warned, warned again, then banned.

:rofl:

some of the worst offenders are long term members. One of the worst back from 2005 :eek:

Somehow I don't see that happening.

AP, while I often disagree with some of your positions, I fully agree with this post.

Those that won't abide need to be warned, warned again, then banned.

And then put on double secret probation.

No, there are some folks who believe that a debate should be held civilly...even Oxford style...and should never resort to shouting down, cutting down, cutting off, and belittling your opponent as Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow so love to do.

People who debate like these bastions of extreme views are the problem and we have many here that use those tactics.

I'm not going to take your bait, but I will point out that this forum, like most of the real world, operates outside the ivory halls of idealistic academic discourse, where egos are large but skin is tissue-paper thin (and the free exchange of opposing ideas is largely imaginary).

I will also point out that personal attacks and "extremist views" are two entirely different things, and an attack on a personal point of view is not a personal attack. Civil discourse does not, and cannot, have as a feature the right for participants to be free from offense.

JKG

People who debate like these bastions of extreme views are the problem and we have many here that use those tactics.

Most of the bile on here leaks out from the SZ, and it is exactly for the reason you stated. There is a small contingent that prefers personal attacks, degrading commentary, and innuendo.

and an attack on a personal point of view is not a personal attack. Civil discourse does not, and cannot, have as a feature the right for participants to be free from offense.

Unfortunately, I doubt you've spent much time in the SZ. It is often personal attack.

Back