I TAKE IT PERSONALLY

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
It has happened to me several times on this board. The first time it happened was when I opened my first thread. Just dipping a toe into the water, so to speak. Now it has happened again.

I opened a thread about a maintenance matter. Several posts addressed the issue. Then someone said something that another decided to nitpick and then the entire thread devolved into a psssing match.

A gentle reminder to keep it civil went unheeded. An attempt to bring the thread back to the original topic went unheeded.

*MY* THREAD WAS LOCKED. I TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

Thread drift is a forum issue, IMO. Some forums are very strict and require posts to be on topic, some not so much. Forum mods and the posters decide for each individual forum how much thread drift is tolerated.

Another matter for posters and mods to determine is proper forum section thread placement. I took a bunch of flak for pointing out a post of yours, Aunt Peggy, being placed in an improper forum section. Turns out in THIS forum proper thread placement isn't all that highly regarded. I'm not trying to open old scars, just point out that the forum you want is the forum you get. If issues like thread drift are not enforced then posters will do it.

I'm not saying its good or bad either way. Some forums I visit are very strict about thread topic and thread drift and others are not. I enjoy both styles. But if the rule is strict and people post off topic then they can't be upset when they get their post deleted. Conversely, if the rules are lax then you can't get upset when threads drift or posts are in wrong sections.

You'll notice I've not brought up thread placement again. I've accepted this forums rules enforcement.

I think the issue is less about thread drift than the descent to personal attacks or clearly inappropriate stuff.

We've had threads that veered worse than a texas tornado, but everyone was nice to each other and SZ stuff wasn't in them, and they were ok.

Understand the frustration, but, it is an internet web board not a lively conversation face to face. It isn't, nor should be taken, as personal, really!!

Gary

Last edited:

Drink a glass of wine. Being over 21, you can do so. It will help.

Seriously - don't take these things seriously.

I think the issue is less about thread drift than the descent to personal attacks or clearly inappropriate stuff.
+1

I know there are things that I will post on other aviation sites but that I won't post here because I don't want to be the sacrificial lamb on the alter of PoA's self appointed gods of aviation.

Constructive criticism is appreciated but pettily arguing over every minute detail, ad nauseam, serves no useful purpose.

Wow, I went to your post and read it. I don't get too far from Hanger Talk anymore so I didn't know that there was so much anger outside of SZ. That was just plain ridiculous.

Why don't you just let those idiots whose posts forced the moderators to lock the thread know what you think of what they did to you? PM or email and tell them how you feel about what they did.

In any event, the MC may be taking action behind the scenes to deal with those yo-yo's, but you won't hear about it from the MC -- that's PoA policy.

Thank you. Apology accepted. We can be friends again.

It has happened to me several times on this board. The first time it happened was when I opened my first thread. Just dipping a toe into the water, so to speak. Now it has happened again.

I opened a thread about a maintenance matter. Several posts addressed the issue. Then someone said something that another decided to nitpick and then the entire thread devolved into a psssing match.

A gentle reminder to keep it civil went unheeded. An attempt to bring the thread back to the original topic went unheeded.

I hadn't thought you to be a rabble-rouser who gets their controversial threads locked. :dunno:

Drink a glass of wine. Being over 21, you can do so. It will help.

Seriously - don't take these things seriously.

Or a shot of good scotch.

It always amazes me how animated some of these discussions can get.

It seems to be near impossible to have a civilized discussion with other pilots on the Internet. Are pilots too aggressive by nature for it to work?

Or a shot of good scotch.

It always amazes me how animated some of these discussions can get.

3 fingers of good bourbon and 4 cubes of ice. Swirl twice, enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

You can't get perturbed about kids acting like kids, it will just drive you crazy. There was likely no malice intended to you or your thread, it just happened to be your sandbox they were in when the fight broke out. Kids will be kids.

I've noticed that about some folks on forums. Here's how some topics go:

#1: "What time does the show start?"
#2: "That depends on which show."
#3: "Which theater?"
#4: "That depends on who the star of the movie is"
#5: "Define 'show' "
#6: "Why don't you go look it up"
#7: "Define 'is' "

#1: "Just forget it."

Last edited:
It seems to be near impossible to have a civilized discussion with other pilots on the Internet. Are pilots too aggressive by nature for it to work?

3 fingers of good bourbon and 4 cubes of ice. Swirl twice, enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

You can't get perturbed about kids acting like kids, it will just drive you crazy. There was likely no malice intended to you or your thread, it just happened to be your sandbox they were in when the fight broke out. Kids will be kids.

The funny thing is, I moderate on a couple of sportbike boards, which are populated mostly by young aggressive kids. It's actually fairly rare for personal attacks to get to the point where we have to close threads or do some sort of moderation. Nothing like we see here.

But the dynamics are different:

"Sup boyz. I ride a 2007 CBR 1000RR and I'm looking for some more power."

"You're a f****ing squid idiot. A 1000 isn't enough for you? I could kick your *** on my 600 on the track."

"Ease up bro, I just want a little more low end torque so I can power wheelie easier."

"Oh, okay dude, then try a -1/+2 sprocket conversion, that will get you some more torque. I run that on my 600."

"Thanks bro."

"It's all good, no problem. Hit me up if you're in my area and you want to ride."

"Bet."

The funny thing is, I moderate on a couple of sportbike boards, which are populated mostly by young aggressive kids. It's actually fairly rare for personal attacks to get to the point where we have to close threads or do some sort of moderation. Nothing like we see here.

But the dynamics are different:

"Sup boyz. I ride a 2007 CBR 1000RR and I'm looking for some more power."

"You're a f****ing squid idiot. A 1000 isn't enough for you? I could kick your *** on my 600 on the track."

"Ease up bro, I just want a little more low end torque so I can power wheelie easier."

"Oh, okay dude, then try a -1/+2 sprocket conversion, that will get you some more torque. I run that on my 600."

"Thanks bro."

"It's all good, no problem. Hit me up if you're in my area and you want to ride."

"Bet."

I think the younger crowd probably finds more entertainment in arguing on the internet than taking offence, hell I say things I don't even believe just to be contrary sometimes.

The "turning ugly" trend is something the MC is taking very seriously, and we're working on an initiative to address it.

It is a very small proportion of the members here who cause most of the rabble-rousage; most of our frequent participants regard this as a place of friends and (for some of us) family. Most understand that we may disagree, but we need not be butts about it.

The "turning ugly" trend is something the MC is taking very seriously, and we're working on an initiative to address it.
A copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" for everyone? :D

It is a very small proportion of the members here who cause most of the rabble-rousage; most of our frequent participants regard this as a place of friends and (for some of us) family. Most understand that we may disagree, but we need not be butts about it.

Huh huh. He said "butt."

attachment.php

Attachments

• cast.jpg
    cast.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 736
Eeehhhh, some of you need to go back to rec.aviation.piloting and read the archives around (roughly) the 2002 - 2005 time period to know how we got here and why raising your hackles will get your departure clearance canceled ;()

It is very easy for some people to hide behind a computer screen feel very confident to preach or argue their point of view. I believe some of those people spend so much time on the computer that they have Lost All interpersonal skills and do not know how to a conversation anymore. Your best bet, ignore what they have to say and put them in the sad pathetic loser pool of life. Some forums I go on and see someone is a member and has thousands of post in one year, i wonder how much they interact with real people anymore, and if they do are they as mouthy when another person is right in front of them.

Believe me -- the MC is working on this -- if you have ideas of how we can improve things here please shoot them my way.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I had a similar thing happen to me recently.

Taking things personally on the internet is pretty inane, since we rarely see/visit/personalize with each other.

It also leads to shorter lifespan I'm betting.

My method is to steer the discussion back to the topic until I get a post or two wich covers the matter. After that, the op-ed is strictly for entertainment.

So - how about those OKC Thunder guys? They almost came back and put MIA on the ropes last night. :p:cheers:

Why don't you just let those idiots whose posts forced the moderators to lock the thread know what you think of what they did to you? PM or email and tell them how you feel about what they did.

In any event, the MC may be taking action behind the scenes to deal with those yo-yo's, but you won't hear about it from the MC -- that's PoA policy.

Believe me -- the MC is working on this -- if you have ideas of how we can improve things here please shoot them my way.
Well, actually, I have just let them know what I think about it -- publicly, not privately.

My hope is that saying or SHOUTING something about it is shedding some light on the subject. My hope is that there is no need to "do something" about it and that people will start showing more respect.

Thanks for taking it seriously.

(I am wondering whether this is also related to the Stars and Tags problems. How many kinds of tantrums do we have going?)

Well, actually, I have just let them know what I think about it -- publicly, not privately.

My hope is that saying or SHOUTING something about it is shedding some light on the subject. My hope is that there is no need to "do something" about it and that people will start showing more respect.

Thanks for taking it seriously.

(I am wondering whether this is also related to the Stars and Tags problems. How many kinds of tantrums do we have going?)

We know there is a problem - what we need is a solution. Do you have any ideas? If so send them to me privately.

Eeehhhh, some of you need to go back to rec.aviation.piloting and read the archives around (roughly) the 2002 - 2005 time period to know how we got here and why raising your hackles will get your departure clearance canceled ;()

mxmanic
he-who-shall-not-be-named

and many others.

If you didn't get the drift from Spike and Jesse let me put it another way. The MC is aware of the situation and we are working on it"

Seriously. Peggy the thread was obvioulsy not closed because of you. We are trying very hard to help preserve the front porch atmosphere that POA is known for.

Are you looking for policy or technical ideas?

Any and all suggestions either techincal or policy wise are welcome. I'd add that if any member has a suggestion to PM them to any MC member be it Jesse, Me , Spike, Bill or whomever.

I know how hard and mentally draining running a board can be. Serious thanks to Adam, Jesse, Bill, etc for keeping this place awesome.

Here's a thought, from another board. They didn't have to use this too terribly often before people realized it wouldn't be tolerated, and they backed off. Cleaned things up considerably, even though I personally think it was overused a bit. Just have your mods kill posts and replace them with this - the people who like to cause a fuss also like to read their own posts stirring the pot - they'll figure it out pretty quick.

Hello.
I deleted your recent VAF post for the following reason(s):
__ Civility / Tone
__ Not RV-related
_X_ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
__ Mod/Policy bashing
__ Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__ eBay / Barnstormers / etc. (classified-specific rules at: www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8208)
The posting rules are explained in greater detail at: www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm
If you feel the need, please direct comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves). His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com
Thank you.
Doug Reeves (site owner)

We know there is a problem - what we need is a solution. Do you have any ideas? If so send them to me privately.

And if for some reason you feel uncomfortable contacting Jesse, you can send ideas to ANY of the Management Council members. That would be Jesse, Spike, AdamZ, myself, or Greg Bockelman.

My 2 cents worth.

I post very little as I don't like having others pick my posts apart.

I left the "Red Board" and came over here for that very reason.

Hope the "Nit-Picking" stops in the near future.

Terry

I left the "Red Board" and came over here for that very reason.

I was very active on the "Red Board". Not so much here though. Too much of the stuff (and people) that turned me off over there ended up over here. Internet forums are a tough problem. Hard to get everyone to play nice together. I used to be a forum admin at a couple other places and know rough it can be!

Personally, I get a lot out of the cross-posting; different viewpoints, things the OP didn't consider, etc

Don't mean to take a political spin, but ....

I'm sure this will turn into a discussion about censorship

But the personal rivalries are distracting. I consider it sometimes 'goes with the territory'.

Personally, I get a lot out of the cross-posting; different viewpoints, things the OP didn't consider, etc

Don't mean to take a political spin, but ....

I'm sure this will turn into a discussion about censorship

But the personal rivalries are distracting. I consider it sometimes 'goes with the territory'.

I don't think censorship is applicable to a privately operated message board. This topic comes up frequently on the boards where I moderate, and my usual response is that, if someone invites you in to their house, you are expected to follow their house rules.

Back