I PULLED THE CHUTE!!!

Cajun_Flyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Cajun Flyer
And cut my hair. But that's a different story.

While I always have the backs of my friends in low places, the ones I have in high places sure have the better toys :)

Oh, and, yes, the monkey went for a spin in the simulator as well...

Honestly, that week travelling across the country in the SR22, picking up a monkey in the middle of Oklahoma, rockin' out in Vegas for a couple days, buzzin' around the Grand Canyon... one of the best, if not THE best, trips of my life.

For the interested, I documented the full story in my blog - Inbound with Whiskey

I'll update it again next week after completing the aircraft ditching course. Should be an interesting experience...

I think she liked it! Cool video Cajun, thanks for sharing. I'm gonna ck out your trip too.

Very cool Cajun. :)

Where is this simulator?

what an adventure! nice! now i have to go back and read your whole blog,, its OK,, i have lots of time...
thanks for the write up....

Read your blog! Entertaining and quite beautiful. What was the altitude for your various segments? Some looked like y'all were in the teens? You must have a great husband Cajun. Better keep him. I know my wife wouldn't be too thrilled with me going off with a couple women (I would though :drool:). :rockon:

Last edited:
Just read your blog Cajun, great writeups and looks like you had a once in a lifetime trip. Wish I had known you all were in Dayton, I would have offered you dinner, or drinks, or something. Great job! ;)

OK,, i have read the whole thing,,, you write well, and you are funny!

I like your new hair style,,, I had forgotten how pretty you are when you smile.

I had been blown off track because i had watched your vid
of getting up drunk.. and drinking more, much more, as you redyed for a day of flying with your friend...

Also,,, I wished to review your early posts here,,, but i am not cleared to do that....

Those CAPS pulls must be murder on the simulator.

Also, are you planning on sharing the haircut story? :)

Holy crap. That CAPS deployment in the simulator looks violent.

Supposedly it's pretty accurate.

Also, are you planning on sharing the haircut story? :)

My kids apparently played barbershop one afternoon, which I discovered when my daughter came into the kitchen with massive clumps of her hair missing. Kid scissors are apparently sharper than I thought...

Anyway, I had to take her to the salon a couple days later to get it fixed, but the only way to fix it was to cut it all off. So I went ahead and had them do mine as well, so it'd be like a mom/daughter thing.

What was the altitude for your various segments? Some looked like y'all were in the teens?

We were at 6,000 feet for most of it. For the leg between Lubbock, TX and Pheonix we were asked by ATC to climb to 11K. We were at that altitude for 50 minutes and towards the end, one of the guys in the plane started getting a really bad headache... I think he was getting hypoxic. Thankfully we were able to descend shortly after and he started to feel better.

The p-static was the craziest part of that leg, though. Just glad I wasn't alone the first time I experienced that... yikes.

Nice trip, nice blog. Damn, the monkey lives the good life! He may be the most interesting man in the world.

We were at 6,000 feet for most of it. For the leg between Lubbock, TX and Pheonix we were asked by ATC to climb to 11K. We were at that altitude for 50 minutes and towards the end, one of the guys in the plane started getting a really bad headache... I think he was getting hypoxic. Thankfully we were able to descend shortly after and he started to feel better.

The p-static was the craziest part of that leg, though. Just glad I wasn't alone the first time I experienced that... yikes.

Everyone responds to altitude differently. People who live near sea level tend to be less acclimated, so it's not surprising. I definitely had to build up my tolerance to altitude. People who live in the mountains have an easier time of it. Nick used to say that the FAA altitude regs were a load of BS (and he might still think that). Of course, he lived in ABQ and was accustomed to higher altitudes.

I had figured that with my less flying and now flying pressurized that I wouldn't do as well up high. A couple weeks ago I flew in a Mooney down to Florida, and we went at 11k for most of the trip, went up to 12k to get over some clouds. To my surprise, 11k still felt perfectly normal, but I did start to notice 12k (although it was also getting dark, which impacts things). It's definitely important to know your body.

As for the p-static, that's something I've only experienced in a few planes. The Commander was the worst. Radios would basically be unusable for large segments of the flight. It's unnerving.

As for the p-static, that's something I've only experienced in a few planes. The Commander was the worst. Radios would basically be unusable for large segments of the flight. It's unnerving.

Do these planes that experience pstatic have static wicks? Are they checked at pre-flight?

Do these planes that experience pstatic have static wicks? Are they checked at pre-flight?

The Commander and 310 both did. The 310 I even put new static wicks on, but that didn't help. St. Elmo's fire also happened on that plane from time to time.

The Commander and 310 both did. The 310 I even put new static wicks on, but that didn't help. St. Elmo's fire also happened on that plane from time to time.

Hmm, interesting to know.

Hmm, interesting to know.

Conditions were different. The Commander basically only did it in IMC with snow (flight levels). The 310 tended to do it when around convective activity.

Everyone responds to altitude differently. People who live near sea level tend to be less acclimated, so it's not surprising. I definitely had to build up my tolerance to altitude. People who live in the mountains have an easier time of it. Nick used to say that the FAA altitude regs were a load of BS (and he might still think that). Of course, he lived in ABQ and was accustomed to higher altitudes.

I had figured that with my less flying and now flying pressurized that I wouldn't do as well up high. A couple weeks ago I flew in a Mooney down to Florida, and we went at 11k for most of the trip, went up to 12k to get over some clouds. To my surprise, 11k still felt perfectly normal, but I did start to notice 12k (although it was also getting dark, which impacts things). It's definitely important to know your body.

I think Nick changed his tune after a trip to the top of Pikes Peak. Said he got loopy and didn't remember parts of the time on the summit.

There may be some problems with the Regs but they are reasonable guidelines. A little training with O2 bottle at night would probably go a long way with a lot of folks. Climb to about 11,000 without oxygen at night. Fly about 15 minutes, turn on the oxygen and watch all the lights get brighter!

I think Nick changed his tune after a trip to the top of Pikes Peak. Said he got loopy and didn't remember parts of the time on the summit.

There may be some problems with the Regs but they are reasonable guidelines. A little training with O2 bottle at night would probably go a long way with a lot of folks. Climb to about 11,000 without oxygen at night. Fly about 15 minutes, turn on the oxygen and watch all the lights get brighter!

Agreed. My goal is to keep a cabin altitude of 6k MSL or lower when flying at night, especially after a long day. I notice the difference. Pressurization sure helps there. On my flight home from New Hampshire a couple of weeks back, my cabin altitude was slightly below sea level for the whole trip. It fended off fatigue enough that I was comfortable flying the whole way home to Kansas instead of making a stop somewhere. I started the day in Houston.

Hypoxia is real, and we should all be aware and cautious regarding it. Enough people have died in plane crashes caused by hypoxia the past few years that it's brought the subject to light.

Back