I need tie downs for OSH

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I was looking at that claw system on sporty's which i think is what @tecprotb used for his RV the year we went.

I don't have any tie downs and am torn between getting something formal like this or just grabbing some spikes and rope from home depot for a bit less money.

What sayeth the peanut gallery?

Last edited:
Another vote for the Claw. They're usually discounted at various places multiple times a year.
People still buy stuff from Sporty's?

Looks like Pilot Mall has it $10 cheaper than most right now. Not sure if that holds after adding shipping though...

what? fer real? whats the rule? I hate rules.

Several types of anchors are available for tiedowns. EAA does not recommend the "doggie ring" style that can quickly fail. The triangle-shaped top portion straightens under heavy loads and the anchor can easily be pulled from the ground. Screw-type tiedowns are also not recommended. Both the auger and spiral style loosen the surrounding dirt as they go into the ground, weakening their anchorage. Cable anchors (straight stakes with one helix at the end), however, make good tiedowns because of their length.

No kidding. What's the rule? The Lowes ones look like they're much better than the $90 claw.

I can respect the rule, but the reasons ravioli mentioned are just made up. that steel isn't bending and the clasp isn't breaking. I could see it digging up the dirt tho but that's about it. they're solid.

I went with the claw too. That's what 95% of the airplanes at the show have, money well spent and they last for ever.

I replaced the steel nails with longer ones made of aluminum with nuts threaded on one end to beat in. Have used for two years now in remote alaska no problems works great and saved like three or four pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one is just for 2 tie downs. the 3 tie down one is $99. The storm force ones are the ones EAA has directions on how to build them. If going that route just make your own.

Headed to Lowes now.

In my English classdoes not recommend was not the same as does not allow........

I guess EAA has to accept experimental tie downs. <-- see that one?

But, all of your fellow tied down airplanes will appreciate your use of "recommended" tie down anchors if the winds get kicking. I'd hate to see Candy under someone's plane because they "screwed down" to save a few bucks.

They didn't have any but I found storm force $64 w/ free shipping.
I don't feel like that's the finish line just yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07635JMNH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2HAJQEYTKAZPD&psc=1
Built similar - 12 in landscape spikes (9), really good 3/8 line from West Marine, and 3x4 links of heaviest chain link. One link gets the rope, the other links each get one of the spikes, driven at angles away from the chain. Held thru one of the worst storms at OSH as well as various back country sites. And the dry lake bed at Edwards AFB. Nylon bag to hold everything and a hammer.

I use a set of tiedowns that were homemade by my uncle for his one and only trip to Oshkosh in the Mooney. They're chunks of 2x6 that are square, glued together so it's 2 chunks thick to make a block, and then holes drilled at opposing angles on two corners and straight down on two corners, with a ring anchored in the center.

They work well, but the club has two sets of Claw tie-downs and those are by far the easiest to install and remove in addition to being the strongest. There's a reason they're popular. That's what I'd get.

a length of coil proof chain. 1/2" spikes. good rope. done....

Back