I need tie downs for OSH

I cannot wait for Bryan's how to video on using the new Screw Claw!!!!

No one has mentioned SmartAnchor yet. They get my vote. It's a small super easy to use system that is somewhat similar to fly-ties but $20 cheaper. It also has two settings, one for right under your tiedown ring and one for 45 degrees out from your tiedown ring.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/smartanchor13-18783.php
I replaced the hammer with a lightweight one from REI but otherwise I love it. Super simple, light and well thought out steel design.

Nobody’s mentioned that it doesn’t really matter what tie downs you have at OSH.

The guy next to you has some jackass setup that won’t hold if you go pull on it.

So when the real storm hits, their airplane will be on top of yours anyway.

Yeah, the amount of poor practices (bad tie-downs, bad ropes, bad knots, bad placement, etc) is fairly astounding. For me, I insure at a hull value that will allow me to upgrade. I pay a modest premium for that increase in hull value, and the other 364 days a year I don't worry about a thing. Should the worst happen, I get a newer and better airplane. Makes far better financial sense than playing the lottery!

Great, and I hope your liability covers the loss that you cause to somebodies, priceless, irreplaceable, award-winning plane parked behind yours that it smacks into when it comes loose (has happened at Oshkosh).

The Claw is the tie-down of choice in the world of antique aircraft.

Great, and I hope your liability covers the loss that you cause to somebodies, priceless, irreplaceable, award-winning plane parked behind yours that it smacks into when it comes loose (has happened at Oshkosh).

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I didn't say, nor even hint, at not properly securing *my* airplane. I over insure, in no small part, because I have no confidence that other people will do the same.

I wonder why the Claw is the preferred anchor? There are at least half a dozen based on the idea of 3-4 spikes driven in at various angles, and the Claw is the only one that has such a high chance of breaking.

I wonder why the Claw is the preferred anchor? There are at least half a dozen based on the idea of 3-4 spikes driven in at various angles, and the Claw is the only one that has such a high chance of breaking.
Same reason CubCrafters sells more (inferior) planes than American Champion and Aviat... marketing.

Since you can’t trust the soil to hold a tie-down, you should use a method that doesn’t rely on the soil. Take two 55-gallon barrels and cut them in half. Leave one half at home for other uses and bring three halves with you. Also bring 15 bags of Quikcrete. If water is not available at your destination, you will also need to bring enough to mix the Quikcrete. Also bring a shovel to use for mixing the stuff. You will also need a small sledgehammer, some long spikes, and some tie down rings that connect to steel plates to anchor them in the barrel halves. When you land, place one barrel half under each tie-down ring. Drive some long spikes through the barrel bottoms so they can’t slide across the ground. Mix 5 bags of Quikcrete in each barrel half. Set the tie down ring assemblies into the Quikcrete as you go. Now you can tie your plane down and be sure it will not move.

What’s the useful load on your plane?

I think the latest from Aviation Consumer (July 2011 is the last round of testing I can find) is that Abe's are #1 followed by The Claw and Storm Force. In the past they've said FlyTies are comparable to The Claw.

"Storm Force’s angle-iron-and-pin design bests The Claw—but only in favorable soil. Abe’s plate-and-cable design leaves everything else for dead."

Maybe the Big Screw will make their list on the next round of testing.

Installation technique (follow the manufacturer's instructions, they're not all the same) and soil type matter.

If you have an Aviation Consumer subscription here are the links to the Tiedown articles:
July 2011
May 2011 (Lakeland Tiedown Test)
June 2009
July 2003
May 2001

Since you can’t trust the soil to hold a tie-down, you should use a method that doesn’t rely on the soil. Take two 55-gallon barrels and cut them in half. Leave one half at home for other uses and bring three halves with you. Also bring 15 bags of Quikcrete. If water is not available at your destination, you will also need to bring enough to mix the Quikcrete. Also bring a shovel to use for mixing the stuff. You will also need a small sledgehammer, some long spikes, and some tie down rings that connect to steel plates to anchor them in the barrel halves. When you land, place one barrel half under each tie-down ring. Drive some long spikes through the barrel bottoms so they can’t slide across the ground. Mix 5 bags of Quikcrete in each barrel half. Set the tie down ring assemblies into the Quikcrete as you go. Now you can tie your plane down and be sure it will not move.

What’s the useful load on your plane?

It's Oshkosh. You can just put the quickcrete in the barrels and wait for the rainstorm. It's coming...

I think the latest from Aviation Consumer (July 2011 is the last round of testing I can find) is that Abe's are #1 followed by The Claw and Storm Force. In the past they've said FlyTies are comparable to The Claw.

"Storm Force’s angle-iron-and-pin design bests The Claw—but only in favorable soil. Abe’s plate-and-cable design leaves everything else for dead."

Maybe the Big Screw will make their list on the next round of testing.

Installation technique (follow the manufacturer's instructions, they're not all the same) and soil type matter.

If you have an Aviation Consumer subscription here are the links to the Tiedown articles:
July 2011
May 2011 (Lakeland Tiedown Test)
June 2009
July 2003
May 2001
Wow the Abe tie down design is great!!!
Found this test video

Since you can’t trust the soil to hold a tie-down, you should use a method that doesn’t rely on the soil. Take two 55-gallon barrels and cut them in half. Leave one half at home...

Or just bring a bunch of concrete blocks, steel beams and aluminum siding to build a hangar.

Yeow! For $391, they'd better leave everything else for dead.

I wonder how they'd do vs. the four Claw systems you could buy for that price.

$391? They're under $70 for the normal ones. About $120 for the XL.

Back