I miss plane shopping

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
So I bought my 180... which I am absolutely in love with. What other plane can land in 500 feet and then cruise at 140TAS? But I've found that now I have it, I dearly miss the plane shopping process. I really don't want to make it jealous, and I am never selling it. I find myself inventing missions for which I have to find the right plane... it was just so fun to look at the planes and think "what if".

Anyone else do this after buying?

Last edited:
I also miss scanning all the sites looking for planes. I still do it once in awhile.

I think it's the whole buying a lottery ticket and having that hope and wonder about the future. Now everything is sort of a known

I did manage to take a very long break from looking at them about a week after I bought my plane and found one slightly cheaper with far better Avionics.

I did manage to take a very long break from looking at them about a week after I bought my plane and found one slightly cheaper with far better Avionics.
Yeah every now and then one pops up that makes me think... would that have been better... but then I have to remember for all of the issues I found in mine... the others out there are completely unknown and could (and probably do) have waaay worse issues they don't tell you in the ad.

I only plane shopped for my first plane and that only took about 4 months from calling on the first plane start to closing on the one I bought. The other was sent to me (sort of) by @SCCutler

Just like strip clubs oshkosh and car dealerships I don't bother looking if I'm not going home with it.

I picked up my newest edition of the paper Trade-a-Plane and started looking through it just yesterday, at breakfast. I *LOVE* airplanes, and, just like dogs, I'd love to have a whole lot of them. Unfortunately for me, and probably the dogs, I only have available room and finances for a couple dogs and one little airplane. But that could all change. My cousin from Nigeria just emailed me to tell me that he needs my assistance in moving some gold bullion out of the country, and for stashing it for him I'll get a cool $3million USD. So, there's that. I'm gonna buy something with two really big tires up front and one sturdy little bastard out back as soon as he wires me that cash...

In 1983, I found my car in the newspaper for 6k less than I owed. Not a plane I know, but this crap has no boundaries. I learned my lesson early!

Last edited:
After buying a 182 last year, and watching Tent Palmer's YouTube channel the past couple weeks, I've been searching Kit Foxes and considering building one because now I feel I need one.
Nice little plane. Equipped with a rotax, they really sound quite different, which is pleasant and quite bizarre. Slippery plane, good on gas too! Friend of mine owns one and swears by it. Nothing wrong with a 182 though, other than the price/maintenance. meh... (Actually he has a Euro-Fox copy... but who's counting?)

I also miss scanning all the sites looking for planes. I still do it once in awhile.

I think it's the whole buying a lottery ticket and having that hope and wonder about the future. Now everything is sort of a known

Ya might not want to have your wife hear that...

I still look for my Lance. For whatever reason, my dream fleet is Candy and a Turbo Lance. I've got hangar space so why not, right?

Even the hangar I'm wait listed for at my probable retirement location will fit them both.

Someday.

I still look for my Lance. For whatever reason, my dream fleet is Candy and a Turbo Lance. I've got hangar space so why not, right?

Even the hangar I'm wait listed for at my probable retirement location will fit them both.

Someday.
God I hate waiting for people to die... or retire. I always figure I'll die first.

So I bought my 180... which I am absolutely in love with. What other plane can land in 500 feet and then cruise at 140TAS? But I've found that now I have it, I dearly miss the plane shopping process. I really don't want to make it jealous, and I am never selling it. I find myself inventing missions for which I have to find the right plane... it was just so fun to look at the planes and think "what if".

Pretty much. After every airplane purchase I would lay off T-A-P and Barnstormers for a couple months and then start browsing again. Sooner or later I'd convince myself I need another airplane.

The T6 seems to have cured that. Haven't found the desire to browse since and its been 7 months now. I'll occasionally look at Courtesy or Platinum Fighters to fantasize about things I could never afford, but that's about it.

Yeah every now and then one pops up that makes me think... would that have been better... but then I have to remember for all of the issues I found in mine... the others out there are completely unknown and could (and probably do) have waaay worse issues they don't tell you in the ad.

Relax. You got a good one!
We all know the rule about 180s...the nicer the paint and interior the more more balled up it was in the accident. ;)

Occasionally looking for something with folding wings to stuff in the corner of the hangar.

I hear ya, shy of a DHC-2 I don’t know what might be a “upgrade”

I hear ya, shy of a DHC-2 I don’t know what might be a “upgrade”
Yeah I completely agree. As cool as a Beaver would be... I'm not sure I could stomach 22gph at 90 knots. A 185 might be an upgrade for me... but I really enjoy being able to burn mogas. Anyway, I end up "shopping" for planes that are completely different mission, twins mostly - even though I can barely afford to keep one engine running :D.

When you buy a plane immediately stop looking, a week after your purchase you will find a better equipped plane for less money.
yup....kinda like wimen too.....once you find a keeper, stop looking. ;)

Careful on the mogas. Student and I experienced vapor lock on Saturday when the air temps approached 100 and the ramp temperature was well over that. No issue with 100LL.

Yeah I completely agree. As cool as a Beaver would be... I'm not sure I could stomach 22gph at 90 knots. A 185 might be an upgrade for me... but I really enjoy being able to burn mogas. Anyway, I end up "shopping" for planes that are completely different mission, twins mostly - even though I can barely afford to keep one engine running :D.

A taildragger and a twin is a dangerous combination...for the bank account. Believe me!

Careful on the mogas. Student and I experienced vapor lock on Saturday when the air temps approached 100 and the ramp temperature was well over that. No issue with 100LL.
Stupid question - does vaporlock only effect fuel injected engines? Or with electric fuel pumps? Either way I have neither.

Stupid question - does vaporlock only effect fuel injected engines? Or with electric fuel pumps? Either way I have neither.
It affects any plane.....if the fuel begins to boil and create gas vs liquid in the line it will not flow or pump properly. Which is the reason why Piper aircraft didn't receive the Peterson STC for auto fuel.

It affects any plane.....if the fuel begins to boil and create gas vs liquid in the line it will not flow or pump properly.
Thanks, I'll start using a mix of 100LL in the summer. The hangar keeps the plane cool but definitely not something I want to happen.

How does vapor-lock not effect cars?

This was in a carb'd O-300 in a 172. So, nope! :D

We let the plane sit for about 2 hours when we went and got a bite to eat, and then flew it with no issue. In the POH for that model they have procedures to help prevent vapor lock in flight.

I would have thought that the perfect solution. But have you noticed that didn't protect Fearless Tower from the multiple airplane virus going around? :eek:
A Beech 18 really does have it ALL. Multi, Radial engine, tailwheel bush(ish) plane. What more could you ask for. The Cessna T50 Bobcat would also be acceptable, but they're quite scarce.

yup....kinda like wimen too.....once you find a keeper, stop looking. ;)

The difference is looking for one is dangerous only for your bank account, and looking for the other is dangerous for your health AND your bank account. ;)

unless I have something specific to look at I haven't shopped since I got the MooBo

unless I have something specific to look at I haven't shopped since I got the MooBo

Monogamous relationships are socially acceptable around the hangars and the airport cafe.

But you want us to believe you've never had your head turned by a young, nubile Cirrus with short wheelpants as it taxis by? :cool:

Monogamous relationships are socially acceptable around the hangars and the airport cafe.

But you want us to believe you've never had your head turned by a young, nubile Cirrus with short wheelpants as it taxis by? :cool:

oh I'm a head turner fo sho, I just try not to leave a paper trail

I am tired of looking and seeing the same old roached out (in my price range) airplanes.

This is a typical session:
1. Page through the airplanes.
2. Notice one on the list that fits the list of acceptable planes and at a price that isn't TOO high over what you want to spend.
3. The description sounds good but of course all of the information isn't there.
4. Send the standard email. When was the engine rebuilt? When was the fabric done? Do you have any scanned logs? More detailed (less than 50 yards away) photos?
5. Wait for replay.
6. Reply states that while the plane only has 500 hours the rebuild was done 40 years ago but the good news is the fabric was only done 35 years ago.
7. Realize that another 20% buys you much newer everything but you are not ready to spend that yet
8. Go to 1.

I also realize that while the sellers love to complain about tire kickers most are completely unrealistic in what they value their planes at and this is why I see the same planes come and go at the same asking price on barnstormers some for years.

Sorry but if you have for example a Champ and the motor is 40 years old and the fabric is 35 it needs to be priced as a project not at 20% below what one would with a recent rebuild and fabric that is at least less than 20 years old.

Or at least state it in your posting people are going to ask anyway. Done with my rant.

Not necessarily on the motor. My OH was done a long while ago (early 80's), and the guts look perfect. I did replace cylinders, but age alone doesn't make an engine bad. You could have a 3 year old engine that's pitted to hell, or a 40 year old one that looks new.

Build an airplane. Saturate yourself in performance choices and kit choices and accessory parts choices. You’ll get over the desire to browse want ads.

Airplane sale ads. Most guys assess how much that plane is worth. I look at how little they’re worth. Flying projects. Deferred maintance. Starting from scratch makes more sense.

Not necessarily on the motor. My OH was done a long while ago (early 80's), and the guts look perfect. I did replace cylinders, but age alone doesn't make an engine bad. You could have a 3 year old engine that's pitted to hell, or a 40 year old one that looks new.

I don't disagree at all but short of pulling a cylinder you don't know this and most folks are not going to want you pulling a jug on a prebuy. So you are taking all of the risk. I think you need to buy an older motor as if it is run out unless there is evidence to the contrary like a cylinder replacement and somebody did some looking around while they were at it and documented it with pictures.

Back