I miss plane shopping

I still surf sales sites here and there, but I will never give up on my Mooney. My flight back from D.C. took two hours. I don't think its burning any more than 8.5 gph.

How does vapor-lock not effect cars?
Because cars are designed to avoid vapor lock. Higher pressure out of the fuel pump (which is often in the tank itself) and/or a fuel return line to the tank are a couple solutions.

A gravity fed system is less likely to have an issue than one where the pump is under the cowl and has to lift fuel from a low wing tank.

The debbil be in the details.

There is a Navion on the ramp at ONZ with an asking price of 45K.
Every once and a while, I see someone working on it. Plus, the airport removed the boot from the nosewheel a couple years ago so I assume there won't be a lein for unpaid tiedown.
You could always come look at it.

No rush. It hasn't moved for more years than I have been at the airport.

Vapor lock in a Cessna 180? Not. If you have a carb bowl full of liquid gas and with an updraft created by turning the starter it'll work just fine. Hot start problems happen to injected engines that have flow dividers and small individual fuel lines running across the top of the engine. Those lines boil fuel and dump it into the cylinders. A Continental fuel injection system has a fuel return so the pilot can purge out hot fuel upstream of the servo. Lycomings don't use a return line and are more suscepible to hot fuel line issues.

Continue to keep up to date with ,current prices and what’s available,for my mission. Doesn’t hurt to keep looking.

A Beech 18 really does have it ALL. Multi, Radial engine, tailwheel bush(ish) plane. What more could you ask for. The Cessna T50 Bobcat would also be acceptable, but they're quite scarce.

Beech 18s are very cool, but if there is one airplane that really requires a pilot aboard, well, it’s the 18. They say you just start to figure out how to fly it at about 500hrs., and at $500hr to run, it will cost you a quarter million to get comfortable in it. Once airborne, the Beech is a delightful flying airplane, light, ball-bearing controls, easy instrument platform, and will carry enough ice for the happy hour, but from short final on, it requires a whole new level of centerline consciousness. Not particularly hard in a crosswind, hard all the time! Got no tail wheel steering, just taxiing to the runway is done with a mysterious combination of differential power, brakes, tail wheel lock and when on the runway, ailerons. When you first fly it, you’ll want to take it to Edwards, so you’ll have enough runway, but a skilled pilot can work it out of a narrow 2500ft strip. It’s considered the heaviest light twin: a Cheiftain weighs 7000lbs., a C-404 weighs 8450, but a high cabin twin Beech 10,200lbs! Think of it as a 10,000lb. Piper Apache - when it’s heavy, if you lose an engine below 3000ft. you better do everything right or you’re gonna die. I’ve got 5 type ratings, and have flown a few airplanes but I consider the 18 as maybe the hardest of them all. Maybe single-pilot Merlin IIIB (without autopilot) would be harder IFR.

Back