I love Trump!

Well
The title was meant to be clickbait.
I realize that, but that guy clearly didn’t read the thread before posting—hence a title reader only.

"Picking up, I'm going alone."
J-J-A-K-Q 4 points.
I'm talking Euchre, what did you think I was talking about?

Who else plays?
I think only people in WI, MN, MI, and part of OH even know what it is.
They play sheepshead here which is bastardized Eurchre. I don't get it. I find Pinochle much more enjoyable.

I realize that, but that guy clearly didn’t read the thread before posting—hence a title reader only.

or he was just trollin'...…………….(cue the troll gif)……...

They play sheepshead here which is bastardized Eurchre. I don't get it. I find Pinochle much more enjoyable.

Sheepshead definitely has a learning curve, but once you get past a certain point it becomes much more enjoyable because there’s a lot of strategy involved. It’s kinda like flying, you can get really good at it, but never perfect.

Especially when everyone on the left passes.

Who else plays?
It's big in Indiana too...

Euchre with family, pitch in college, pepper in high school. I just don't get sheepshead.

Pitch was my college game - lots of weekends spent playing that. Haven't played since, and probably don't even remember how.

Cribbage was one game I tried hard to like, and did for a while, but it's another one that sort of went by the wayside. The object of that game seems to be to cheat as much as possible without getting caught.

Does anyone play whist? Or is that only in books from the early 1800s?

I've never heard of whist. I used to play cribbage with my grandfather. Haven't played against a live person in years. I don't recall a cheating aspect of Cribbage.

[QUOTE="Matthew, post: 2716520, member: ]

The object of that game seems to be to cheat as much as possible without getting caught.

[/QUOTE]

Obfuscation, misdirection, prevarication...all of it is part of anything dealing with trump....

I mean, if you let everyone know what you were holding when you bid, where's the fun in that?

[QUOTE="Matthew, post: 2716520, member: ]

The object of that game seems to be to cheat as much as possible without getting caught.

Obfuscation, misdirection, prevarication...all of it is part of anything dealing with trump....

I mean, if you let everyone know what you were holding when you bid, where's the fun in that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but at the end of the day, if you've got trump you are winning.

So I curse this thread, I had never heard of this game before. I did the googles on eurchre and found this site:

https://cardgames.io/euchre/

It's taken a little bit, but I've figured out if you don't get trump, you don't win.

If you play and let the other side get trump, you lose. Most of the time, even if you marginally get the right cards, you pick trump and you win.

But if you are dealt a crappy hand and the other team gets trump, you can't win. So there is skill involved, but luck too.

So I curse this thread, I had never heard of this game before. I did the googles on eurchre and found this site:

https://cardgames.io/euchre/

It's taken a little bit, but I've figured out if you don't get trump, you don't win.

If you play and let the other side get trump, you lose. Most of the time, even if you marginally get the right cards, you pick trump and you win.

But if you are dealt a crappy hand and the other team gets trump, you can't win. So there is skill involved, but luck too.

The better the player, the less trump necessary to win - At least in Sheepshead, and I suspect Euchre, too. One of the better Sheepshead players I've played against picked on two red jacks and won handily. OTOH, I've seen an overconfident person with lots of trump lose a hand so badly that he had to pay out twelve dollars... When we were playing for a nickel per person per hand! :eek:

Especially when everyone on the left passes.

"Picking up, I'm going alone."
J-J-A-K-Q 4 points.

Who else plays?

My whole family plays and we're in California. We all learned from my grandparents on my mom's side that were from Wisconsin. My grandparents have passed, so we're down to 4 active players in the family. Just enough for a game.

Back