I Like Night Flight

Was in Atlanta last night (2030) as well. PDK was busy as usual.

I like night flight too.

did u see any meteors?

Man we saw a bunch of meteors last night. We were just talking about the news saying there was a meteor shower and it didn’t disappoint. Under goggles they light up the sky.

I guess I have mixed feelings about night flight. When presented with the option, I'd rather fly during the daytime. But when I'm in the air, I find it really enjoyable. And then when it's done, I hate packing out the airplane in the dark.

I like night flying a lot. Not a fan of the added risk in a single but I find myself doing it anyway. The airplane doesn’t know it’s night, right? :)

Was at the hangar tonight putting the plane back together after owner assist annual. It was a calm, clear, 40 deg F night; an absolutely gorgeous night to be flying (especially for MN this time of year). <sigh> I wish I could have gone up. Tomorrow we're getting up to 1" of rain.

But enough about me. :)

According to the ole logbook I have 165 carrier arrested landings, 97 of them are at night. I guess I like flying at night too.

When flying my plane at night, my wife asked if it’s harder than daytime. My typical response is “no it’s easier - I can’t see what I’m going to hit.” Makes me chuckle…

Flying in the work plane at FL430 the other night, it was pretty amazing seeing Elon’s Starlink satellites launch. The guys on Guard were having a field day.

I used to fly single engine at night in Alaska.

With a full moon and the ground covered in snow it is almost like daytime.

No moon and with an overcast and maybe snow falling, I imagine it would actually be brighter flying inside a cow than looking outside the plane. Definitely a time to be on the gauges, and yes I counted it as instrument time.

Of course night flying in summer required sunglasses...

@Zeldman probably understands "last-lap noises." In a race, when you're in front of a competitor and trying like mad to hold him off through the last lap, you hear every freakin' ping your racecar makes, every spark plug detonation, every gearbox tooth, and you're just sure the whole thing is going to explode any minute.

I sure didn't hear the drive shaft before the front U-joint came from together coming out of turn 4. I had the right foot on the floor while the right hand was busy trying to find a gear.

Thank goodness for rev limiters...and drive shaft loops... :lol:

Back