I Interned in Congress for the creation the most recent FAA Bill...

Princesspilot206

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Princesspilot
What are your thoughts on the Bill? Anything you love or dislike about it?

Okay, tbh the main point of this post is to get above 50 messages so I can post in the Classifieds section in search of a Bose A20 and a Sentry lol. Will pay reasonable $.

...but let's also chat about the bill.

Haha you can only save a couple hundred getting used. Get a new one. Tell us more about the bill.

Every dollar counts.

Did you know we are getting the first ever General Aviation Title?

I've looked through all my bills and can't find one from the FAA. Why would the FAA be billing me?
They are the Overlords in control of our lives...you are not familiar with the deed that permits your every move?

Before I answer, what do you think are the answers to those questions?

I would expect that Title to provide fenced AIP funding for not Class D and uncontrolled airfields along with funding for contract towers, PROTE tours, and people to review Class III medical certificates.

I want to know what you all think about the thing.

We don’t know anything about the thing. What are you talking about.

Tell me what you think before I tell you what it is.

Umm…

Jokes, yay.

I want to know what you all think about the thing.

We don’t know anything about the thing. What are you talking about.

Tell me what you think before I tell you what it is.

Umm…

Jokes, yay.

Do you know the word? If you do, I don't wanna say, but y'know? The word...

Okay, tbh the main point of this post is to get above 50 messages so I can post in the Classifieds section in search of a Bose A20 and a Sentry lol. Will pay reasonable $.

...but let's also chat about the bill.
Was it your internship that taught you how to find a loophole to the 50 post rule? Or are you just that smart.

I'm opposed to any bill which does not have a president's face attached. A POTUS face, specifically. I really don't want the president of the Kiwanis on my bills...

Many many sections to this bill, any specific sections to review that would be of interest to bug smasher drivers?

One day when I have time to watch the grass grow then I might attempt to read a bill. I think I’ll need to cut the lawn or take a nap before I finish though.

Reading something this long is crazy so I asked chatgpt to review the bill in entirety for anything relevant to general aviation. I have not verified the results.

----

The "FAA Reauthorization Act of 2023" includes various components that could support the growth of general aviation and reduce costs for pilots. Here are the specific sections of the bill that address these areas:

1. Sec. 101: Airport Planning and Development and Noise Compatibility Planning and Programs: This section focuses on the planning and development of airports and noise compatibility programs, which are essential for the functioning and expansion of general aviation airports.
  2. Sec. 102: Facilities and Equipment: This section deals with the funding and improvement of facilities and equipment, which are vital for the operation and safety of general aviation.
  3. Sec. 106: Research Engineering and Development: It emphasizes research and development in aviation, which can lead to innovations that benefit general aviation, including cost reductions and safety improvements.
  4. Sec. 201 & 202: Future of NextGen and Airspace Innovation Office: These sections focus on the modernization of the National Airspace System and the establishment of an Airspace Innovation Office, both of which can lead to more efficient air traffic management, benefiting general aviation operators.
  5. Sec. 211: Safety and Efficiency through Digitization of FAA Systems: Digitization of FAA systems could lead to increased efficiency and safety in air traffic management, indirectly benefiting general aviation.
  6. Sec. 301: Independent Study on Future State of Type Certification Processes: This could lead to more streamlined certification processes, potentially reducing costs for general aviation manufacturers.
  7. Sec. 310: Aircraft Registration: The management and regulation of aircraft registration can impact general aviation, particularly in terms of compliance and administrative processes.
  8. Sec. 311: FAA Oversight of Repair Stations Located Outside the United States: This section can influence maintenance and repair costs for general aviation aircraft.
  9. Sec. 318: Development of Low-Cost Voluntary ADS-B: Focusing on the development of affordable ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast) technology can reduce costs for general aviation operators who need to equip their aircraft with this technology.
  10. Sec. 321: Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing Program: This program can enhance safety in general aviation, potentially leading to reduced insurance and operational costs.
  11. Sec. 324: Tower Marking Compliance: Compliance with tower marking regulations can impact general aviation, particularly for low-flying aircraft.
  12. Sec. 401: NextGen Accountability Task Force: This task force is responsible for the oversight of the NextGen project, aiming to modernize the National Airspace System, benefiting general aviation through improved navigation and communication systems.
  13. Sec. 410: ADS-B Out Equipage Study; Vehicle-to-Vehicle Link Program: This study and program focus on ADS-B technology, which is vital for modern aviation navigation and safety systems, affecting general aviation operations.
  14. Sec. 501: Aviation Workforce Development Grants: Grants for workforce development in aviation can lead to a more skilled workforce, potentially reducing labor costs in the general aviation industry.
  15. Sec. 612: Runway Rehabilitation: This section deals with the rehabilitation of runways, which is crucial for maintaining the infrastructure of general aviation airports.
  16. Sec. 613: Extension of Provision Relating to Airport Access Roads in Remote Locations: Extension of this provision might indirectly benefit general aviation by improving access to remote airports.
These components collectively aim to support the growth and efficiency of general aviation, potentially leading to cost reductions for operators and pilots

Reading something this long is crazy so I asked chatgpt to review the bill in entirety for anything relevant to general aviation. I have not verified the results.

This thread is teaching me so much about where our industry is headed. We have politicians that do NOT understand aviation writing our laws...and in some cases using ChatGPT to write the law.

Then we have users of the system who have no interest in teaching those politicians or actually reading what they write. Resorting to using ChatGPT to get a brief synopsis of the terms and conditions which they must live according to.

WTF clown world are we in. Oh Lord.

Last edited:
"If I am elected I will hire an INTERN to read every word of that massive document and advise me on its contents."

Right now my thoughts are that it's a massive document.

Well it’s another FAA reauthorization bill. They tweak the policies of previous reauthorization bills but there generally isn’t anything ground breaking in them. Until it gets implemented in the FARs, it really doesn’t matter at this point. As far as teaching Congress about aviation, that’s what lobbyists are for. Not my job.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/1939/text?s=1&r=9

Aviators are governed by it. Everyone should be aware of it. Are people not familiar with it or where to read it?

People should be more concerned with this version that actually proceeded from the house to the senate and will likely be the basis of the actual reauthorization bill.

The problem is these documents mean nothing until they are passed by all parties, they are too large, too specific, too vague, and too small all at the same time, and they generally only direct the FAA towards something without telling them how to do it (for the FAA to present its plan after doing numerous studies over the course of years at great expense).

Well it’s another FAA reauthorization bill. They tweak the policies of previous reauthorization bills but there generally isn’t anything ground breaking in them. Until it gets implemented in the FARs, it really doesn’t matter at this point. As far as teaching Congress about aviation, that’s what lobbyists are for. Not my job.
Lobbyists job is to get what they want in the bill, teaching someone might be a logical way to do that, but lets not confuse logic with politics.

I've looked through all my bills and can't find one from the FAA. Why would the FAA be billing me?
Went to a restaurant last night and they dropped off the check. It most definitely was not a check, but rather the bill. The waiter did NOT get the joke when I pointed out his faux pas.

I'm opposed to any bill which does not have a president's face attached. A POTUS face, specifically. I really don't want the president of the Kiwanis on my bills...
I’ll take Presidents, but my favorites don’t have them. Give me Ben Franklin or Salmon P. Chase any day.

Back