I hope all of you went flying today

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
because it was an AMAZING day for flying!

The day started out when my dad/instructor and I went over to the airport to check out the new Flight Design CTLS they just got. We watched it take off as we pulled in the parking lot, and went inside to inquire when it would be back. The manager, Jim Taylor (great guy if you've never met him) said it'd be back in an hour or so, and we could either hang out here or go fly the 172 for an hour. Well the choice was obvious, so I did the preflight and we hopped in the plane. I've never seen more traffic at SEG than I did today; it was busy. Two 150s, a Cardinal giving birthday rides, a bunch of Cherokees, and a Seneca just to name a few. There was a Queen Air taxiing around, but we didn't see it take off. Started off by two touch and goes in the pattern, 7 or so gusting to 12 knot crosswind, and I handled it very well. After that, I decided to take us over to Bloomsburg to do a touch and go, and then head back. My dead reckoning was right on, and I pointed out every landmark on the way. Did a full stop there with a nice looking Cherokee 180 back-taxiing behind us. Departed and took Selinsgrove VOR all the way back to the field. I had to plan ahead to work us into the pattern. Flew over midfield at 2000 feet (1500 is pattern altitude) and swung around and made a right circle to enter a left downwind on the 45 for runway 35. That landing might have been my best one to this date, the nose didn't come down until we were at a jogging pace; very smooth.

After that, we got out and went over to inspect the Flight Design CTLS...pretty interesting airplane. It's flown with a stick and it's an all glass cockpit. Empty weight is 800 something pounds, so it's a very light airplane. Runs on auto fuel too! The hand operated brakes on the center console might take some getting used to, but I'm not sure. Heck, maybe I'll even fly it one day!

Here I am sitting in the CTLS. It only has 8 hours on it!

122ywsg.jpg

I'll put some videos in this thread when I get around to editing/uploading them. :)

Overall, I was very pleased with my performance today...I had no problem communicating with other pilots around either airport, and I flew it well and by the numbers. But hey, peaks and valleys right?

(Also posted this thread at the purple board ;)

Last edited:
900ft ceilings. Not a great day. So no, I didn't.

thanks for the story, bonus points for pics! Still not IMSAFE here, next week.

Fogged in all day here. Too much snow on the ground and 50F+ OAT's a loft makes for fog on the ground.

Flew with wife from Iowa City to Cherokee to meet two sisters and their husbands flying in from two other airports. Took off into a 500 ft ceiling, broke out at 3000 and flew on top to I-35 where it went CAVU. Had a nice lunch. Returned in clear skies half way, then found a layer of low clouds. Flew a GPS approach to 700 foot ceilings. Took about 1 1/2 hours out at 65% power and came back in a little over an hour with wind help running at 75%. It was a lot of fun to meet two siblings who also are involved in GA.

Flew with wife from Iowa City to Cherokee to meet two sisters and their husbands flying in from two other airports.

Cool a flying family, I bet you guys have fun.
Sounds like a cool flight, no ice?

I tried but the weather didn't cooperate. 400-1000 ft ceiling here in Northern Illinois all day.

600 foot ceiling according to the ATIS when I got to the field this afternoon for an instrument lesson. Much worse than the forcast, and looked like it was getting worse. We could have gotten out, but we weren't sure we could get back. ATIS said viz was 10 miles, and we thought it was off by a factor of 10. 1 mile was closer to reality. I didn't even open the hangar to pre-flight. We'll try again tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. Ah, flying in the Pacific Northwe(s)t...

I tried but the weather didn't cooperate. 400-1000 ft ceiling here in Northern Illinois all day.

Good day for IR though! Ceiling at Burlington (BUU) was supposed to be 900 ft, and minimums were 700 ft for the VOR Rwy 29 approach. I'm here to tell you there was nothing to be seen at 900 ft. I first saw the runway at MDA and 2 miles. This was as close to minimums as I've ever flown. It was awesome.

Not quite as awesome the second time when my CFII covered my gyro instruments. But still a great flight.

I scared the fog away just in time to get four training flights in with a student in the Blanik and then turned him loose for two solo flights.

The thawing snow is keeping the turf too soft. Will likely be ok by/on Monday (keeping fingers crossed).

An awesome day for flying in the northeast!!! My daughter and I got in good old 71D around 4:45PM flew the Hudson River south into the skyline corridor at the GW Bridge we were dropped to 1500ft and continued to just south of the Verrazano and turned back north. Like glass the whole way. Sunset to the west and the whole metro region beneath and around us. Dusk going south, then full night going north back home. Never get tired of the scene with Manhattan Island off to the left or right. Lots of radio work (you can imagine how busy this airspace is: NY Tracon-LGA-EWR) and the controllers are great! Heard this transmission for the first time: "Air France *** separation 5 miles, A-380 SUPER heavy departing" couldn't find the airbus on visual though!
If you ever have the chance to fly this trip, DO IT..better yet give me a call and I'll be happy to fly it with ya!

Last edited:
I traded a few text messages with Gary M before heading off to Wings field to meet him as he flew up from KILG yesterday. From the ground it looked great to fly, but I was surprised at the thick haze layer that was up there. Seemed like a hot July haze for comparison. We flew the local area for a while as Gary let me test out the Sundowner. Very nice flying airplane! I did some clearing turns, followed by a steep turn to the right and the plane tracked great. Out over Van Sant and then back along the Lake before heading back to Wings.

AdamZ was doing some creative marshal techniques to park us, should have video taped it with my iPhone but wasn't quick enough. We all then hung out for a bit at the airport before going our separate ways. Felt good to get out flying.

I had an instrument lesson scheduled yesterday, headed to the airport early and even got so far as the preflight. There was a very large sucker hole over the east side of Detroit and I was tempted to at least fly to KDET or KPTK for a VOR check. But the (SCT) clouds were lower at PTK and with the auto show going on in Detroit, there was definitely a TFR in effect (of course, the LM folks could neither confirm nor deny that -- pilot's responsibility to know the head count of every crowd of people along route of flight). Then a couple surrounding fields including DET went BKN again and I decided I wasn't game for it, so I left a message for my CFII and went home.

We'll try again this afternoon, though the forecast isn't any better today.

Ceiling 1100 with 3.5 miles yesterday - 500 and 2.5 right now... My buddy Ed and I went out for a 100 mile scenic tour of I follow R (roads, rivers, railroads)... Ended up doing a pop up for the ILS27 into HYX, just for the practice...

denny-o

An awesome day for flying in the northeast!!!
Yes it was, and I was stuck on the ground. My 88 y/o Mom has a broken wrist. It is healing nicely, thankfully.... but I had the duty yesterday, helping out with shopping and other chores like the cat litter box.

So... it would have been a lot more fun to be flying, but it is Mom after all, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

-Skip

Today

ra100.jpg

Rain

Hi
41 °F
Tonight

mix90.jpg

Wintry
Mix
Lo
32 °F
M.L.King
Day

mix20.jpg

Wintry
Mix
Hi
40 °F
Monday
Night

nbkn.jpg

Mostly
Cloudy
Lo
29 °F
Tuesday

rasn30.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi
43 °F
Tuesday
Night

nrasn30.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Lo
33 °F
Wednesday

rasn40.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi
44 °F
Wednesday
Night

nrasn40.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Lo
30 °F
Thursday

rasn40.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi
42 °F

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Let us just say that the weather in the Atlanta area yesterday was NOT one conducive to pleasure flying. I have not flown since Dec 24th! :(

I traded a few text messages with Gary M before heading off to Wings field to meet him as he flew up from KILG yesterday. From the ground it looked great to fly, but I was surprised at the thick haze layer that was up there. Seemed like a hot July haze for comparison. We flew the local area for a while as Gary let me test out the Sundowner. Very nice flying airplane! I did some clearing turns, followed by a steep turn to the right and the plane tracked great. Out over Van Sant and then back along the Lake before heading back to Wings.

AdamZ was doing some creative marshal techniques to park us, should have video taped it with my iPhone but wasn't quick enough. We all then hung out for a bit at the airport before going our separate ways. Felt good to get out flying.

I was out of the haze at about 6000'. I was also surprised by the crummy visibility :yikes:. One of my hanger neighbors went up too for some fun flying and came back earlier than expected due to the haze.

AdamZ didn't stop doing good deeds after he marshaled garym into his spot. He later helped me push the old girl back in the hanger. Many thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited:

You're not the only one...

AMD KDSM 171507Z 1715/1812 31005KT 1/4SM FG VV001
TEMPO 1716/1718 1SM BR OVC004
FM171800 30004KT 2SM BR SCT002 OVC007
FM172100 31007KT 5SM BR SCT007 BKN015
FM180100 32004KT 2SM BR BKN010

Trapper John

I was all set to fly this weekend...and then I got the notice that the base where my flying club is based is closed all weekend for MLK day :mad2:

Today

ra100.jpg

Rain

Hi
41 °F
Tonight

mix90.jpg

Wintry
Mix
Lo
32 °F
M.L.King
Day

mix20.jpg

Wintry
Mix
Hi
40 °F
Monday
Night

nbkn.jpg

Mostly
Cloudy
Lo
29 °F
Tuesday

rasn30.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi
43 °F
Tuesday
Night

nrasn30.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Lo
33 °F
Wednesday

rasn40.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi
44 °F
Wednesday
Night

nrasn40.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Lo
30 °F
Thursday

rasn40.jpg

Chance
Rain/Snow
Hi
42 °F

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Yeah really, glad I got up when I did yesterday, because it doesn't look like I'll be going again soon...

Good day for IR though! Ceiling at Burlington (BUU) was supposed to be 900 ft, and minimums were 700 ft for the VOR Rwy 29 approach. I'm here to tell you there was nothing to be seen at 900 ft. I first saw the runway at MDA and 2 miles. This was as close to minimums as I've ever flown. It was awesome.

Not quite as awesome the second time when my CFII covered my gyro instruments. But still a great flight.

Had I been IR current I was going to fly there yesteday, but since I'm not I didn't.

Just as I cancelled again today the SE Michigan sucker hole opened up again. I never saw it at my place, but KVLL and KPTK both went MVFR/VFR at about 1530, and right now there's a nice stretch of fairly good VFR conditions west of KDTW from KYIP through KJXN. For a while I was thinking of trying to get in that VOR check. But visibility at KVLL never got better than 4 and is back down to 3 now. So I chickened out again. :frown3:

Do you fly across Lake Michigan, or around?

If I wanted to go around the lake I would just drive. I've crossed the lake more times than I can count and during every season. Vmc imc vfr ifr day night.

Just as I cancelled again today the SE Michigan sucker hole opened up again. I never saw it at my place, but KVLL and KPTK both went MVFR/VFR at about 1530, and right now there's a nice stretch of fairly good VFR conditions west of KDTW from KYIP through KJXN. For a while I was thinking of trying to get in that VOR check. But visibility at KVLL never got better than 4 and is back down to 3 now. So I chickened out again. :frown3:

Hey, better safe than sorry, right?

Flew an Angel Flight from Wings to Winston-Salem. Other than climbing out of Wings, it was a great flight. I was bouncing all over the place up to about 3k ft, then everything settled out for the flight. My pax fell asleep for the entire ride. Coming home, solo, had a nice, quite smooth flight. Racked up my first 0.3hrs of night flight for 2010, which was a bonus.

In all, a great day to fly. Man, what a gift!!!!!!!!!

I flew the Tiger a bit. Second flight since I got it back from its annual inspection, thanks to Gary and hist Cherokee. I had plugged in the preheater the night before, but temps warmed up nicely into the upper 40's here in PA.

It was nice to have temps above freezing and less wind for a change. :rolleyes:

Hey, better safe than sorry, right?
Vis of 4, I'll fly, if it's like that over a wide area and with no downward trend. But this was a small island of 4-6SM in an ocean of LIFR. So, I don't have any regrets, I'm just feeling a little impatient since the plane is overdue for a VOR check and we can't file until I do it.

Wanted to get out this weekend as the weather was great, but my plane was still in the shop. They were supposed to be done Friday, but got diverted to another job. I am getting the IFR cert done as well as getting a couple of headset jacks installed in the back seat. Should be done Monday.

Vis of 4, I'll fly, if it's like that over a wide area and with no downward trend. But this was a small island of 4-6SM in an ocean of LIFR. So, I don't have any regrets, I'm just feeling a little impatient since the plane is overdue for a VOR check and we can't file until I do it.

I do a VOR check on every flight and scratch it down somewhere on a sheet of paper. If I haven't flown more than 30 days it's obviously an issue, but on every flight I tune in both CDIs and make note of the 1 degree difference they always have.

The only people flying around here the last couple of days have regretted it. Two nights in a row we've had an accident at CID with guys trying to get in with the weather below minimums; one last night on the approach to 09, night before last on the approach to 27. Fortunately everyone has survived...so far at least. We've got another day of the same thing...about 100' and 1/4 mile.

I do a VOR check on every flight and scratch it down somewhere on a sheet of paper. If I haven't flown more than 30 days it's obviously an issue, but on every flight I tune in both CDIs and make note of the 1 degree difference they always have.
I've been training pretty heavily and just haven't had a chance to do it. I suppose we could have just done an airborne check along an airway during a lesson, but it would have been lesson time taken away from flying approaches, especially partial panel where I really need some work. Anyway I prefer to use ground checkpoints and check each of the nav radios individually.

I've been training pretty heavily and just haven't had a chance to do it. I suppose we could have just done an airborne check along an airway during a lesson, but it would have been lesson time taken away from flying approaches, especially partial panel where I really need some work. Anyway I prefer to use ground checkpoints and check each of the nav radios individually.

I haven't done that in years.

Compare each in flight, crosscheck with visual airborne point is needed, good to go.

I haven't done that in years.

Compare each in flight, crosscheck with visual airborne point is needed, good to go.

or just do part (c)

(c) If dual system VOR (units independent of each other except for the antenna) is installed in the aircraft, the person checking the equipment may check one system against the other in place of the check procedures specified in paragraph (b) of this section. Both systems shall be tuned to the same VOR ground facility and note the indicated bearings to that station. The maximum permissible variation between the two indicated bearings is 4 degrees.

No need for a visual checkpoint or being on an airway. Tune em both in to any radial and when one centers see how far off the other is.

Waiting for roncachamp to chime in with some a-hole comment because I didn't specify that they both must be tuned into the same radial and the same vor in my commentary.

Last edited:
or just do part (c)

(c) If dual system VOR (units independent of each other except for the antenna) is installed in the aircraft, the person checking the equipment may check one system against the other in place of the check procedures specified in paragraph (b) of this section. Both systems shall be tuned to the same VOR ground facility and note the indicated bearings to that station. The maximum permissible variation between the two indicated bearings is 4 degrees.

No need for a visual checkpoint or being on an airway. Tune em both in to any radial and one one centers see how far off the other is.

Yep -- but it sounds like Liz wants confirmation. plenty of airborne checkpoints in the AFD.

Yep -- but it sounds like Liz wants confirmation. plenty of airborne checkpoints in the AFD.

Confirmation of what? It would be odd that both CDIs would be off 15 degrees.

Back