I hope all of you went flying today

I know it's legal to do it that way -- it's just my preference. If one of my navs is starting to drift off I like to have an idea of which one and by how much.

Yes it would.

So?

I just wonder why people find the most difficult way to do things when there are much quicker, simpler, legal, more convenient, and just as reliable options. Now the plane is stuck on the ground while IMC until the ground check is done, whereas if it was done in the air, it's a non issue. Heck, do em in the air as a back up to push the 30 day clock, and continue the ground checks, if being that one degree off in the flat state of Michigan is going to put you into a mountain.

Ok, the most difficult (a)(1).

I just wonder why people find the most difficult way to do things when there are much quicker, simpler, legal, more convenient, and just as reliable options. Now the plane is stuck on the ground while IMC until the ground check is done, whereas if it was done in the air, it's a non issue. Heck, do em in the air as a back up to push the 30 day clock, and continue the ground checks, if being that one degree off in the flat state of Michigan is going to put you into a mountain.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see nothing in part C that requires the check be performed in the air. I can do the VOR check in the run-up area at my home-drome and I know what the radial should be. I think that's about as easy and good as it gets. Of course the VOR signal must be available on the ground...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see nothing in part C that requires the check be performed in the air. I can do the VOR check in the run-up area at my home-drome and I know what the radial should be. I think that's about as easy and good as it gets. Of course the VOR signal must be available on the ground...

True, but I am not even sure that the GRR VOR is available on the ground at GRR, and I've never gotten it at 9D9. In checking the A/FD the GRR vore check is over US131 and an E-W road.

Yep -- but it sounds like Liz wants confirmation. plenty of airborne checkpoints in the AFD.
There are, but the closest one to me is over PHN. The ground checkpoints at PTK and DET are actually closer.

That said, I'll probably start checking the VORs against each other in the air while I'm getting ready for the checkride, just to keep the clock from running out as Ed suggested, and do individual checks when I can.

What if both are off by 10 degrees?

An IR student could get confused when he/she is supposed to be on the 183r and yet the VOR indicates 175/355.

FWIW, the only check I do 90% of the time is VOR to VOR. Yet, in a new-to-me airplane, I'll dial in a known radial and see what the VOR indicates as a supplemental check.

No biggie.

Last edited:
Lessee....updated the GPS database....flew the airplane.....washed the airplane....flew the airplane...fueled the airplane....flew the airplane....hangered the airplane....detailed the airplane. Logged all updates and checks as required....saw some pretty goofy behavior from a Beechjet at the runup pad....lamented the death of professionalism and courtesy. Sigh.....

Back