I have a lot of questions, so instead of creating a thread for each one, this will be where I ask.

Allison Riccardi

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Angelwings
Thank you all for the input. I want to be the best pilot in the whole wide world. So question #1: If anyone is familiar with the New York sectional or the area where NH and MA meet near KASH specifically...where on God's green earth is that weather balloon on the map that my instructor points out to me while we are flying and tells me to remember them. I've also searched all around on Google Maps. Can someone point me to where it is at specifically. Latitude and Longitudinal numbers will work.

Last edited:
I'd first go look at the legend on a VFR sectional and find a reference for said "balloons". I don't have one handy at the moment, but I can't recall that mark.
I work for a company based in Lowell MA, a couple miles from there. I've flown that area only once, no awareness of such a reference.

Are they tethered balloons?
Yep. You’ve gotta watch that guy.
325011-DannyDeckchair-1195141143000.jpg

I'd first go look at the legend on a VFR sectional and find a reference for said "balloons". I don't have one handy at the moment, but I can't recall that mark.
I work for a company based in Lowell MA, a couple miles from there. I've flown that area only once, no awareness of such a reference.

Ahh! Found it. It was like a game of Where's Waldo. But it is the MIT observatory just east of Groton, MA.

752D7DB4-A5F3-4097-8808-A321629B3D74.jpeg If you’re referring to this - that isn’t a weather balloon. That signifies a drop zone where you should use caution for skydivers.

That all said - if you’re unsure about something - ask your instructor for more clarification. That’s what they are there for.

He expects me to learn things on my own, and practice them in the air. So...

I'm an instructor and expect students to know where to find things. However nothing wrong with a student asking an instructor to clarify or assist with something. You're paying the instructor so he should help you unless you're one who never cracks a book, or computer, whatever you use. That's another matter.

I'm an instructor and expect students to know where to find things. However nothing wrong with a student asking an instructor to clarify or assist with something. You're paying the instructor so he should help you unless you're one who never cracks a book, or computer, whatever you use. That's another matter.
So what is the point of POA?

Was your instructor messing with you when he mentioned the balloons? I'm so confused.

He isn’t talking about the prohibited airspace of kennebunkport me, is he? That’s not a balloon, that is George Bush’s house.

That's the golf ball. It's right above the G in Graniteville in Jesse's picture.

Don't like beards on my women, makes me feel inferior:eek:

Last edited:
Trying to learn a thing or two. I'll learn it on my own.

Trying to learn a thing or two. I'll learn it on my own.

i think your instructor is warning you about weather balloons that are just let go to float around and land where they may, so my info below doesnt count for much, except it is interesting..

look on Skyvector on the computor for Florida, just NE of Key West NAS find a segmented circle marked R2916, it is a BALLOON!!!
at 14,000 feet!
now im confused, i thought their were 2 down there..

another 1 in texas NW of kmrf
"""""""""" 1 """""""""""" SW of kdmn

these really are something you want to avoid...

Last edited:
Weather balloons are launched twice daily near KALB Albany. That’s indicated not on the chart itself, but in the AF/D, where it says

Wx balloon launches approximately 3 miles south of arpt at 1100Z‡ and 2300Z‡

Maybe that’s what you have in mind.

So what is the point of POA?
There is no real point to POA; just a bunch of aviators talking.
But mscard88 gave you good advice. Too many people think the CFI is the boss, but in the end, you are the boss. He is going to challenge you, but you have every right to ask him to clarify himself.

And there are people trying to help you here. So ditch a little of the attitude and loosen up a little. You don't want people to think you are ungrateful.

I suspect they're both bull****
I prefer to believe that Allison's is accurate. But I haven't ruled out the possibility that she is a guy.

But I am quite certain that 6PC's hat is probably a 'slight' exaggeration.

This is the balloon Allison is talking about, we used to call it the golf ball. If you see it from this angle in an airplane you have a problem, but imagine it from 1,500 feet.

Haystack_Radio_Telescope_-_Haystack_Observatory_-_DSC04026.JPG

How is a radome considered a weather balloon?
Students almost always come up with their own nomenclature early in training no matter what the field. It’s part of learning as they relate new stuff to their own experience. Helping them along the path is part of the fun of teaching.

I won’t belittle a student for using their own language since at least they are trying. It can be frustrating as it was here since we had no idea whatinthehell was going on. Make it a joke and move on.

Back