I Hate my Cellphone!

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
AT&T sent me an iPhone XR (freebie) because my old iPhone wasn't 5G. I can make a call but as soon as the other person answers, my phone disconnects. But when I call my house (it's a landline), no problems. I wonder if the dropped calls are on a voip phone.

Anyone got any ideas?

I don't think the XR is 5G.

AT&T sent me an iPhone XR (freebie) because my old iPhone wasn't 5G. I can make a call but as soon as the other person answers, my phone disconnects. But when I call my house (it's a landline), no problems. I wonder if the dropped calls are on a voip phone.

Anyone got any ideas?

one wild thought... just in case, are you inadvertently touching the end-call button on the phone as you are putting the phone up to your face/mouth?

I had that "problem" with the iphone initially... it trained me to leave the phone away from my face unless I'm using it on speaker.

What would phones look like if our mouths and ears weren’t so close together?

~ Steven Wright

Anyone got any ideas?
If your landline a true landline? What happens if you call various AWOS/ATIS phones around you?

Also, what are the following values?
  1. Settings->Cellular->Wi-FiCalling
  2. Settings->Cellular->CellularDataOptions->Voice&Data->VoLTE

Last edited:
Yup it is. Just checked. Otherwise it probably wouldn't work around here these days.

The XR doesn't support 5G. But that doesn't matter, because 5G doesn't even support voice calling currently for most (any?) networks. There's almost certainly nowhere that has 5G but NOT predecessor 4G or 4G LTE, or similar.

If your landline a true landline? What happens if you call various AWOS/ATIS phones around you?

Also, what are the following values?
  1. Settings->Cellular->Wi-FiCalling
  2. Settings->Cellular->CellularDataOptions->Voice&Data->VoLTE
Oh yes, it’s a real live landline. No problem calling any of the AWOS numbers.

I don’t do wifi calling on the iPhone.

It's defective, send it back.

The Xr does support 4G, so I guess ATT wanted to shut down 3G around here, which was my iPhone SE.

That's it. They've been shutting down 3g all over the place. One of mine works now text but not voice, unless I drive to work, which is a few miles away, and with whatever towers are in that area it still works with voice, too. As soon as I get back home, it's text only.

My 3G phone on AT&T went text/data only about 3 weeks ago. I didn't like any of the free replacement phones they offered. I bought a Samsung 20 FE 5G. So far, I'm very happy. The 1st person I spoke w/ wanted $500. The 2nd person I spoke with said it would be $250 w/ a new line/number, but when I resisted, let me keep my existing number. Their recent commercials tout the same deals for both new and existing customers but apparently they haven't figured that all out yet.

Some weird stuff happening with cell phones these days:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...hone-and-cell-plan-in-2022-and-beyond.137298/

My old phone stopped making or receiving calls; everything else worked. If I set the sim to 2g/3g only then everything worked including calls, but then data was very slow as it had no 4g. I upgraded to a oneplus 9 pro and all is well for now except possibly for the gripe of cell phone with rounded corner screens prone to breaking that they make these days.

Well if we're gonna ALL complain:

Succumbed to the advertising and decided to switch from Verizon (which was our only option for even slight reception before we moved) to T-Mobile since they gave us $400 off each of four new iPhones. They also said our usual haunts had good 5G coverage and it's all about the speed for me, NavData cycles and all. All good, until I noticed in certain spots like a valley or driving over a large body of water (places I frequent) the towers seem to "fight" with each other for the signal, and completely drop me in an area of good coverage. Their solution was to force the phone to LTE only. I found that silly, and went to gather data for my complaint letter. Turns out LTE speed tests in the 90's usually, 5G only in the 30's. So, I guess I don't get to complain after all, and I don't understand technology.

Last edited:
Well if we're gonna ALL complain:

... driving over a large body of water (places I frequent) the towers seem to "fight" with each other for the signal...

Am I the only one who imagined this when reading this:
1543483-671080914918fcf1f8e8619be54b87b2.gif

What would phones look like if our mouths and ears weren’t so close together?

~ Steven Wright
What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?

- Gallagher

I once saw a man riding a bicycle and smoking a cigarette. The interesting thing was when he tapped the ash from his cigarette into the ash tray mounted on the handle bars. He was about the coolest guy I have ever seen!

Then why would ATT send me the XR as a replacement for my old phone that didn’t work with 5G? I’m baffled.
Your old phone probably didn't do 4G/LTE either. ATT (and just about everybody else) has pulled the plug on the older 3G technologies. It's causing OnStar to go dead in a lot of older models.

Back