I hate admitting mistakes

THAT would be an interesting list.

But to the OP... if you can oversize your hangar to get in sooner you should do it. I have WAY more hangar than I need for my RV in Fort Worth. So much extra space that I'm going to sublease some.

Get your twin sized hangar now.
The best neighborhoods in Dallas are 15 minutes from Executive. Sunnyvale is 15 minutes from Mesquite. East Dallas to Lancaster is probably around 20 minutes. Those are the ones in my neck of the woods.

Saw an open hangar today. Guy had two end units and knocked out the back wall between. There were two motorhomes, several motorcycles, and an airplane.

Saw an open hangar today. Guy had two end units and knocked out the back wall between. There were two motorhomes, several motorcycles, and an airplane.

The airplane was just for show so they could store all that other shet. ;):D

And the airplane was made out of inflatable material, like those decoys from WWII :rolleyes:.

These people don't do GA any favors. It's not even about the money honestly.

Oh, I've seen what the FBO's community hangar "premium" can get ya. I'll take my chances with the shelter or tie down.
Yes, hangar rash is always a concern. So far they haven't damaged my plane. They are pretty strict about not allowing owners to move their own planes, but of course the FBO people can screw up too. Knock on wood, it won't happen. Even if it does, I still think the Branded Bird is better off inside than out in the elements.

FBO at Albuquerque wouldn't let park my Mooney. They bought me a new nose gear truss.

Heck, I found mouse turds in my bathroom cabinet the other day.

But I brought in the Big Game Hunter to handle it. 'Bout time she earned her keep!

(Just noticed that little bottle of brandy in the background, and no, my cat wasn't drunk. :D)

View attachment 61862

It is good to see your cat doing her Yoga.....

I never thought a hangar was a big deal until I had a hangar. What a time saver. The time from airplane engine off to car engine on is limited only by the time it takes the hangar door to fold up and down. When I have to deal with ropes and covers on a borrowed plane at a tie down occasionally I get really grumpy.

Your transition plan back to a tie down seems to have a lot of time not spent flying. Just my perspective.

I never understood why people complain about covers so much. They are a little bit of a pain, but it's so minor that I wouldn't even consider it worth mentioning.

There are some tricks you'll need to learn to do it on a windy day, but five or 10 minutes covering a plane is a heck of a lot better than driving an hour each way to go fly.

I also think the advantages of storing a plane in a hangar are overstated. Give your insurance company a call and talk to them about it. If the dangers from the elements were as severe as the online discussions would have you believe, the premiums would be much, much higher for a plane stored outdoors.

Hangars are better, sure, but I flew for 15 years before I ever operated a plane that was regularly hangared, and that included time the midwest and central CA dessert. The only damage ever incurred was because some jackhole insisted on trying to scrape ice off an airplane and damaged the paint.

Last edited:
I also think the advantages of storing a plane in a hangar are overstated. Give your insurance company a call and talk to them about it. If the dangers from the elements were as severe as the online discussions would have you believe, the premiums would be much, much higher for a plane stored outdoors.

This tornadic storm hit McKinney (bottom right side of the yellow area) a week ago. We're kicking into high gear for insurance inspections in the area. This following probably 80% of my inspections last year being in McKinney as well. YMMV of course but there's been no shortage of hail damage up there.

1pxeR3r.png

tkqcX2F.jpg

My thoughts on mistakes,

Attachments

• 30697828_10160252184745173_4665484117352120320_n.jpg
    30697828_10160252184745173_4665484117352120320_n.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 23
After more discussion with my wife, we have decided to keep the hangar in Arlington for the time being. I will also keep a tie-down here in McKinney. I will keep the plane nearby during fair weather, and move it back to the hangar whenever T-storms are forecast. (Both my wife and I work from home, so our hours are flexible.) My wife has agreed to share her car with me when my truck is in the hangar and the plane is here. That way, I don't have to pay for a rental car to get the plane. (She doesn't do highways.) Total cost is only going to be $410/mo, which we can afford.

Meanwhile, I am going to look for a larger hangar, that will fit a twin in the future. The waiting lists for those are usually much shorter. (I think I'm #6 in McKinney for a 60x40 for $600/mo.)

After more discussion with my wife, we have decided to keep the hangar in Arlington for the time being. I will also keep a tie-down here in McKinney. I will keep the plane nearby during fair weather, and move it back to the hangar whenever T-storms are forecast. (Both my wife and I work from home, so our hours are flexible.) My wife has agreed to share her car with me when my truck is in the hangar and the plane is here. That way, I don't have to pay for a rental car to get the plane. (She doesn't do highways.) Total cost is only going to be $410/mo, which we can afford.

Meanwhile, I am going to look for a larger hangar, that will fit a twin in the future. The waiting lists for those are usually much shorter. (I think I'm #6 in McKinney for a 60x40 for $600/mo.)

Probably the smart play. You can reevaluate come August or so when TX weather calms down.

Side note: your wife doesn’t do highway driving and you moved to DFW?! God help you, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back