I hate admitting mistakes

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
It seems that moving my plane to an airport an hour from my house just so that it would be in a hangar impacted my flying far more than I thought it would. In fact, I haven't flown at all in the 3 months that it's been hangared. So, I've decided to move it back to the airport 12 minutes away and take my chances on tie-downs.

I figure, not flying it is definitely doing the engine harm vs the chance that severe weather might harm it on tie-downs. And not flying is going to make me rusty, increasing my own risks. Besides, what good is it to pay for having a plane that you're not flying?

Also, it's insured.

BTW: Are those hail protection covers (from Bruce's) worth it?

For what it’s worth, I think you are making the right call. No point in having a plane cozily tucked into a hangar if you’re not using it. Any options for hangars at your closer airport? Hustling (hard) and talking to anyone and everyone on the field sometimes pays off..

While you're reevaluating, you might want to reconsider some of the nice places in the metroplex where you could be minutes from a towered airport with hangar availability.

Are there any plans to build more GA hangars at TKI? Last month they announced a 40,000 SF hangar was going to be built, but I got the impression it would house corporate aircraft.

BTW: Are those hail protection covers (from Bruce's) worth it?
Yes and no. No in that you'll spend the hour you would have spent driving to the hangared airport, uncovering/recovering your plane. Yes in the fact that it's more protected, but still much less protected than a hangar.

I think I would prefer to hangar,easy in easy out.,no covers to worry about. Would change my schedule , so I could fly at least once a week.

I hate aircraft being outdoors, but unflown is far worse. If it gets hail you get a check from your insurer.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose you can take your chances with Tornado alley t-storms, but it wouldn't be my choice. Hope you come out of the severe weather season (starts now) unharmed!

I also would opt for keeping the aircraft indoors, but you’ve got to do what’s best for you.

Be sure to get some good covers. Mother Nature can be harsh.

I hate aircraft being outdoors, but unblown is far worse. If it gets hail you get a check from your insurer.
Unblown? :confused2:

Personally I would pick the hangared option, but I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

I think much of it comes down to what kind of flying you do and the overall situation. Our airport is 40 minutes away from the house. While that does make things less convenient, for the kind of flying we do (long trips) that extra drive time doesn't really matter.

But for the fun flying we want to do, we're looking at building a hangar and putting a Cub on our property. That's more appropriate for just going out and counting cows.

If you just fly for fun, I'd agree that having it nearby and outside is preferable to far away and hangared. You're more likely to use it if it's nearby for fun little jaunts around the sky.

I understand the kerfuffle you’re in, but THREE MONTHS of no flying because of an hour drive??? Anywho, hope u get it closer to home and in a hangar. It makes things a whole heck of a lot easier.

And yes, I used the word ‘kerfuffle’. Don’t judge me.

This is why airplanes rot away unused. Someone who loves the idea of having an airplane in a hangar acquires the airplane and hangar, or even a tie-down, etc. Then they ignore it because life is too hard. Sometimes they complain about it. Rarely, they fly it. Eventually a year goes by since they’ve seen it. Hangar queen.

I wish I had an airplane. It would be polished bright from flying the paint off it. I hope the OP can find the time to re-evaluate his priorities and force himself to visit his distant airplane at least once every 6 months. I’ve got my fingers crossed for him. ;)

it's going to take 45 minutes to fool with the covers every flight. I'm seeing little to no benefit to moving it closer, unless you let it out in the element, which a lot of people do in reality. (I wouldn't)

it's going to take 45 minutes to fool with the covers every flight. I'm seeing little to no benefit to moving it closer, unless you let it out in the element, which a lot of people do in reality. (I wouldn't)

A lot of people leave aircraft out in the elements, but I certainly wouldn't have chosen this time of year to start doing it in TX/OK/MO. I'd have dealt with the long drive or low usage for a another 3-4 months before moving it out of a hangar. We get tornadoes (admittedly minor risk) hail/torrential downpours/50+mph straight-line winds frequently from Apr-July, so I'd have waited until August to try and avoid the worst of the weather risk.

Question for the hangar snobs. Would a shelter (roof structure, open sides) spot be a worthwhile compromise, or is it also a non-starter?

I wish I had an airplane. It would be polished bright from flying the paint off it.

That is exactly what all those hangar queen owners thought as well.

Two years ago, the airport where I was based closed. It was 15 minutes from my house. The last year I was there, I flew over 125 hours. Today, I have my RV-4 at another small grass field 15 minutes from my house. My Cub however, ended up an hour and fifteen minutes away by car, but the rent is cheap. Since this arrangement, I've flown 60-70 hours each year. I typically use my RV-4 to commute to fly the Cub so at least both get flown almost every weekend, but the Cub flights have gotten much shorter and the RV-4 flights a bit more boring commuting vs playing. I am hoping I get the Cub moved back home this summer into a newly built hangar at a private field (01TN). It will end up costing me about $75/month more, but will be worth it to have both planes in same location and easily accessible. I tend to drag the Cub out more on summer evenings to go play for an hour when it is available.

Question for the hangar snobs. Would a shelter (roof structure, open sides) spot be a worthwhile compromise, or is it also a non-starter?
To me a shelter is acceptable for protection for the plane, but nothing makes owning a plane more pleasant than leaving your tools, a fridge, etc with your plane.

A lot of people leave aircraft out in the elements, but I certainly wouldn't have chosen this time of year to start doing it in TX/OK/MO. I'd have dealt with the long drive or low usage for a another 3-4 months before moving it out of a hangar. We get tornadoes (admittedly minor risk) hail/torrential downpours/50+mph straight-line winds frequently from Apr-July, so I'd have waited until August to try and avoid the worst of the weather risk.

Lived in OK/TX for 16 years...hangar is truly necessary. I now live outside Memphis and we get some substantial thunderstorms here as well. Just got $2700 dollars of hail damage on my new aluminum Ford truck last week while I was spending night in a hotel while traveling to/from a funeral. That reinforces the need for a hangar for me.

To me a shelter is acceptable for protection for the plane, but nothing makes owning a plane more pleasant than leaving your tools, a fridge, etc with your plane.
That and I don't want my expensive toy getting deteriorated by UV, bugs, bird poop.... etc.

I think it's perfectly acceptable. If I had to store an aircraft outdoors in this region of the country, I'd be just fine with a covered tie-down. A hangar is optimal for being able to store tools/etc. as well as security, but the covered tie-down would keep me from being anxious during every hailstorm or heavy rainstorm for sure. It also keeps that hot TX sun from destroying the aircraft with UV rays all day long.

That and I don't want my expensive toy getting deteriorated by UV, bugs, bird poop.... etc.
bugs and bird poop are reduced, but not completely eliminated by a hangar.

To answer some questions:
> The plane is currently in a hangar in Arlington.
> We live in Fairview, (directly under the the approach to RWY 36 at TKI) and likely will stay here for the next 2-3 years.
> I will be moving the plane back to TKI, which is about 12 mins away.

Now, when I had my plane in a hangar in CA that was 15 mins away, I flew about 200 hrs/yr. Half the time, it was just going up and doing structured practice, as I really like remaining proficient. Once I got my IR, I was going up and shooting approaches every time I had low ceilings. I could easily run out and fly for a couple hours, and not eat up the entire day. With the plane an hour's drive away (and that's assuming the traffic is light) any flying pretty much kills the day for me.

I'm not a tinkerer. I have no interest in doing any owner-maintenance. Just not my thing. Another negative that I'm discovering is that with me not flying as often, my wife is very hesitant to go with me anywhere.

The hangar in Arlington is paid thru May. I'm going to keep it there until then. In the meantime, I'll order the covers. While waiting for the covers to arrive, I'll be parking it at a tie-down close-by at TKI during stretches of fair weather, moving it back to the hangar in Arlington whenever serious T-storms are forecast. It is due for it's 2018 annual at the end of May. After that, I'll keep it at TKI again and give up the hangar in Arlington.

I bought this plane for the purpose of getting my PPL and IR, and racking up about 1000 hrs of experience before getting into a twin. (I'm currently at about 600 hrs, and plan to start my ME training later this year.) I have about 1700 hrs on this engine, and expect it to go past TBO. The plan is to sell the plane when it becomes time to overhaul, and buy something like a C310. (I eventually want a C340.) If the plane gets totaled by hail, I'll take the insurance check and go straight for the twin, so I'm not sweating it too much at this point. Honestly, I'm still wrestling with the decision to get covers. (It already has an old canopy cover from Bruce's, which really doesn't accomplish much.) I'm not sure that the hail-protection covers are worth the extra money, as I'm really just looking to keep it clean and protect it from the sun more than from the hail. But, I'll probably spring for the hail covers.

I've also seriously considered selling the plane and concentrating on ME training, and finding a twin that I can rent to build time on so that my insurance is lower when I actually buy a twin. (Plus, the waiting list on larger hangars is shorter at TKI.)

Agree. It seems like the OP had it in the hangar for the most benign part of the weather year in Texas. I also remember he came from Stockton, CA. The weather in his new area can be much more airplane-unfriendly than in Stockton.

Closer plane increases the opportunities to fly, when my time is limited.

Unless the plane has sentimental value or collector status or is a show plane, it’s just equipment. We want to preserve and take care of our stuff, but not if it means not enjoying it. For the OP, the greater enjoyment sounds like a tiedown spot. Makes sense to me.

How was getting the hangar a mistake.?? If you had not gotten the hangar and chose to use an outside tie down first, you would have always wondered why you didn't get the hangar when you had a chance... :lol::lol:

Well if you’re OT using your plane as mush as you would like to. You’re spending money on the premise of ownership. Move it closer and enjoy the plane. Covers are a pain in the ass. But it’s better than trying to get the motivation to drive over an hour to get to the plane.

I understand the kerfuffle you’re in, but THREE MONTHS of no flying because of an hour drive??? Anywho, hope u get it closer to home and in a hangar. It makes things a whole heck of a lot easier.

And yes, I used the word ‘kerfuffle’. Don’t judge me.

I call your kerfuffle and raise you a cattywampus! :)

I've got an hour's drive to the hangar and I fly every week, weather permitting (which is most of the time). My home drome is pretty far inland, so I don't often have to deal with the marine layer that can ground other VFR pilots.

I can't imagine not having a hangar; I garage my cars and I garage my plane, for lots of good reasons...snobbery not among them.

Yes, but for that you need not just a hangar, but a PRIVATE hangar, possibly shared with one other owner. I once knew that luxury... no longer though.

Still, I have no regrets paying the additional premium for a roof and four walls, even if it is a community hangar. I do wish the FBO kept it cleaner though, and I've seen what look to me like mouse turds on the floor, which really make me shudder.

I've seen what look to me like mouse turds on the floor, which really make me shudder.

Heck, I found mouse turds in my bathroom cabinet the other day.

But I brought in the Big Game Hunter to handle it. 'Bout time she earned her keep!

(Just noticed that little bottle of brandy in the background, and no, my cat wasn't drunk. :D)

IMG_2779.jpg

no, my cat wasn't drunk. :D)
Maybe the mice were? ;)

The FBO has a dog, but Blue's a big friendly lab/something mix, don't think he would be the best mouse hunter, and anyway he never gets that far out of the main office. The community hangar is several hundred yards down the taxiway. I've suggested they get a cat, but I don't think they're too keen on the idea. Besides, they don't think they have a mouse problem.

So far, no infestations in my plane, so they could be right. Knock on wood.

That is exactly what all those hangar queen owners thought as well.

Two years ago, the airport where I was based closed. It was 15 minutes from my house. The last year I was there, I flew over 125 hours. Today, I have my RV-4 at another small grass field 15 minutes from my house. My Cub however, ended up an hour and fifteen minutes away by car, but the rent is cheap. Since this arrangement, I've flown 60-70 hours each year. I typically use my RV-4 to commute to fly the Cub so at least both get flown almost every weekend, but the Cub flights have gotten much shorter and the RV-4 flights a bit more boring commuting vs playing. I am hoping I get the Cub moved back home this summer into a newly built hangar at a private field (01TN). It will end up costing me about $75/month more, but will be worth it to have both planes in same location and easily accessible. I tend to drag the Cub out more on summer evenings to go play for an hour when it is available.

I live alongside a 3000' grass strip. I can check the windsock from several windows in the house. Pretty sure I'd fly the paint off my own airplane. ;) Soon.... soon...

Yes, but for that you need not just a hangar, but a PRIVATE hangar, possibly shared with one other owner. I once knew that luxury... no longer though.

Still, I have no regrets paying the additional premium for a roof and four walls, even if it is a community hangar. I do wish the FBO kept it cleaner though

Oh, I've seen what the FBO's community hangar "premium" can get ya. I'll take my chances with the shelter or tie down.

Yeah, bad time to move it outdoors in these parts, partner. Storm season is upon us. You gotta do what you gotta do, though. I wish you luck.

I was sitting here thinking about whether I've ever seen an actively flown airplane tied down outside for any prolonged period of time in my area. I don't believe I have to date. Only planes that someone has given up on are left outside. That ought to tell you something.

I live alongside a 3000' grass strip. I can check the windsock from several windows in the house. Pretty sure I'd fly the paint off my own airplane. ;) Soon.... soon...

The way the wind has been blowing here, it should only take a couple flights for the paint to get sandblasted off. :eek:

While you're reevaluating, you might want to reconsider some of the nice places in the metroplex where you could be minutes from a towered airport with hangar availability.

THAT would be an interesting list.

But to the OP... if you can oversize your hangar to get in sooner you should do it. I have WAY more hangar than I need for my RV in Fort Worth. So much extra space that I'm going to sublease some.

Get your twin sized hangar now.

Back