I had cole slaw today...

Okay there is a KFC on the way to the office. I didn't stop to check it out but I will try to size it up for the presence of cole slaw. I did not notice any in the promotional pictures on the windows. Doesn't mean it isn't there.

All right... I examined the menu. The fried chicken is there.

-No cole slaw. There are some veggie bowls but that is about it.

-No mashed potatoes. You can get a rice bowl or some round fried potato thingies you dip in sauce.

So I'm telling you, there is no cole slaw in this country. If KFC doesn't have it, who would?

-No mashed potatoes. You can get a rice bowl or some round fried potato thingies you dip in sauce.

So I'm telling you, there is no cole slaw in this country. If KFC doesn't have it, who would?
What no coleslaw @ KFC

Sac religious.

There are two KFC's here. One is Korean Fried Chicken.

Which do you prefer? I've had both KFC and KFC and I think I like soul food better than Seoul food.

but, there are two other essential ingredients in cole slaw. There is vinegar. I do not know that they have vinegar. And there is mayonnaise.

If they have rice then they may have rice wine. And if they have wine then they may have vinegar. Ergo, I'm pretty sure that is covered. Mayonnaise is eggs, oil, salt and lemon juice. Eggs? Check (we've already established that they have chickens). Oil? Check. Salt? Everyone has that. Lemon juice? Vinegar is an acceptable substitute and we've already covered that.

I think you are good to go.

Which do you prefer? I've had both KFC and KFC and I think I like soul food better than Seoul food.

If they have rice then they may have rice wine. And if they have wine then they may have vinegar. Ergo, I'm pretty sure that is covered. Mayonnaise is eggs, oil, salt and lemon juice. Eggs? Check (we've already established that they have chickens). Oil? Check. Salt? Everyone has that. Lemon juice? Vinegar is an acceptable substitute and we've already covered that.

I think you are good to go.

Okay. Yes... the essential ingredients are present, but... here's the thing... I had a heart to heart with the local KFC guy last evening after work. You would THINK that mashed potatoes and gravy would go over here great! Cole slaw too! Except....

You can't eat them with chop sticks. That is what he told me.

Yes, you can find online recipes for dishes called Vietnamese cole slaw. But it isn't cole slaw. Not remotely. It is basically the same kind of salad that would would have with shrimp (gai tom, pronounced cai tom) without the shrimp. And by the way I like gai tom. But I want my shrimp with it too thank you. The greens are big enough you can grab them with chop sticks. Hence, the sides are all something than can be managed with a pair of wooden sticks. French fries work. Mashed potatoes? No go but you could probably use a spoon like one would for soup or rice. A soup spoon is difficult to economically provide in a fast food venue. That is apparently the primary driver behind the sides. If you can't grab it with your fingers or chop sticks, it won't get grabbed so don't bother.

The Koreans like their chicken. Big fat chickens. The Vietnamese sneer at the Koreans because they like big fat chickens plus Koreans are fun to sneer at if you are Vietnamese. So, big fat chickens are often referred to as Korean chickens (and sometimes American chickens.) I think I posted a pic of chickens more to their liking in the other cole slaw thread. That would be a chic pic.

Why can't Cole Slaw be eaten with chop sticks? Is the spork mandatory?

And you know I can't write about Cole Slaw without reminding you about the horseradish to spice it up a bit. Yummm.

Why can't Cole Slaw be eaten with chop sticks? Is the spork mandatory?

And you know I can't write about Cole Slaw without reminding you about the horseradish to spice it up a bit. Yummm.

I suppose it could, but like eating rice with chopsticks, unless it is sticky rice, it takes a long time. Hence the little bowls you can lift up and scoop things with the ends of the chop sticks. Maybe someone can develop a sticky cole slaw with a gelatinous base so that it may be eaten with chop sticks.

I'm pretty sure horseradish isn't a thing here, unless you are able to get some from a store that carries western stuff.

The conversation has come up and I just need to locate the place. I have been told that there is an American style BBQ place somewhere in D1 of HCMC (the central downtown area). I am told they have cole slaw. I just need to find it.

Back