I got my........ continuance

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
So after waiting yet another week when my checkride was cancelled again due to weather, I woke up to rain. I look at the weather report and it looks like it is going to clear. I head over to the airport, did a quick few rounds around the pattern, which went well, and went back to the FBO. Was kinda windy, but still within my limits, but the TAF's for later was looking shaky.

Get though with my oral, and pass. At this point the wind has kicked up to around 14 with gust of 24, and there is an airmet for mod turbulence in my area. Check the weather again and find that they are now calling for 16 with gusts to 26 in the next 1 to 2 hours, with the direction shifting from 290 to about 320. Not an issue with my home airport with runway 29, but making it a possible 70 cross wind for the diversion airport the DPE almost always uses with runway 24. So the gusts would be exceeding the planes demonstrated cross wind.

Long story somewhat short, I called off the checkride and will hopeful get the flight in this weekend.

Not like 16G26 is a light breeze. Even straight down the runway, a 10KT gust can be challenging and certainly would have made the checkride much more of a challenge. You did the right thing. Good luck next time!

I was supposed to fly a dog to Indy today. PnP trip. Gusts were forecast to be in the 40 kt range and almost a direct crosswind at EYE. I passed.

Tomorrow's not looking that much better, but do-able.

Hang in there, you'll get it done!

I feel confident that I could have flown safely, but did not want to set myself up to fail. Going from point A to point B is one thing, doing great landings and maneuvers within PTS in wind and turbulence is another.

Last edited:
Thing with going up for a ride in a airmet T, is you usually get a little allowance for maneuvers being slightly off.

That was the universe testing you bud. It wasn't the day yet, but it will be soon. You'll know when.

You made a good choice.

Thing with going up for a ride in a airmet T, is you usually get a little allowance for maneuvers being slightly off.

Yeah... At least in theory, it can work to your benefit.

annoying, but not a bad thing! think of it this way.......a continuance means, you get to continue flying! no? I'm trying, c'mon.

In my opinion, you got the tough part out of the way. Now you just need a good day to show the DPE what you can do! Congrats on passing 75% of the checkride and the last 25% will be a snap, I'm sure. ;-)

Yeah, the only thing I almost failed was remembering my log on name and password for iacra. I used 2 of my three log on strikes. The oral was very laid back, and I do not feel like I got any really tough questions.. He did catch me slightly when asked how would I change my flight plane for flying at night rather than day (he just wanted me to go higher for more glide distance). I knew the answer, but needed a little coaxing. Then he asked me about when to use O2 for night. I knew the answer, but then he asked why the night and day requirements were different. I stumbled a bit on that. Finally, training in a Warrior he asked engine goes out at 500 feet after takeoff, what do you do? Again, I knew the answer, but he wanted me to put switch the damn tank in as my second check list item after best glide.

I did hear him say to my CFI, that I was good on the oral.

That was the universe testing you bud. It wasn't the day yet, but it will be soon. You'll know when.

You made a good choice.

Yup, good choice. Been there, done that, got my cert eventually.

Don't forget the DPE is looking for the right choice as well. If the DPE has to cancel for poor weather, he won't be happy with the student's decision-making skills right from the start.

Back