I flew a Mooney!

Only the first year 77' J had vernier controls
-interesting, this was an '81.. looked almost identical to this one, only real difference being the 530: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...l=M20J+201&listing_id=2399396&s-type=aircraft
..did people modify them? I distinctly remember not just pushing and pulling, but actually spinning the knobs to inch the fuel flow down, get the prop right, etc.

Dreadfully bad control feel
-outside of a Bellanca, I'm curious what typical GA piston plane would you say has great control feel? I always liked the handling of a Tiger, but I appreciated the Mooney's heavier feel

..did people modify them? I distinctly remember not just pushing and pulling, but actually spinning the knobs to inch the fuel flow down, get the prop right, etc.

That is how ours is set up, black knob push pull, the other two vernier. I don't have a problem with it, if I need to move the knob a good distance quickly I push the button and move it. :dunno:

-interesting, this was an '81.. looked almost identical to this one, only real difference being the 530: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...l=M20J+201&listing_id=2399396&s-type=aircraft
..did people modify them? I distinctly remember not just pushing and pulling, but actually spinning the knobs to inch the fuel flow down, get the prop right, etc

-outside of a Bellanca, I'm curious what typical GA piston plane would you say has great control feel? I always liked the handling of a Tiger, but I appreciated the Mooney's heavier feel

Sorry................I totally misquoted. Only the 77' had a throttle quadrant. I must have had "vernier" on the brain.
iu

A36 Bonanza. Very nice. And there was a woman I think that used to do ACRO at the airshows in a Viking. I'm sure she did it legally since she did it for years.

Sorry................I totally misquoted. Only the 77' had a throttle quadrant. I must have had "vernier" on the brain.
iu

I've flown in a throttle quadrant J, that thing is a knee banger for us tall people. I like my vernier knobs thanks!

That is how ours is set up, black knob push pull, the other two vernier. I don't have a problem with it, if I need to move the knob a good distance quickly I push the button and move it. :dunno:

I must not have had my coffee yet, or put it down to old age........My 77' had a throttle quadrant........not any kind of push-pull.

Bill, we posted at the same time! You weren't alone......Mooney went to push-pull the very next year. I'm short, liked the TQ, as you could move the throttle and prop with one hand at the same time. And you could dream you were flying a King Air!!

And you could dream you were flying a King Air
..I was embarrassed to say but when it comes down to it that's exactly it haha!.. something 'cool' about a throttle quadrant, in the twin I get to have SIX knobs!

..I was embarrassed to say but when it comes down to it that's exactly it haha!.. something 'cool' about a throttle quadrant, in the twin I get to have SIX knobs!
Putting on some epaulettes should help you forget what the type of engine controls there are.

Back