I drive an old car so I can fly an old airplane.

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Yesterday Hubby was involved in a 3- or 4-car pileup. He drives about 55 in the slow lane of the three lane highway to go home from work. Naturally, that is too slow for most people, so he is constantly cut off by those who need to get home a little sooner. Yesterday one cut just a little too short and clipped his car, which then spun and careened across the highway where he was t-boned in the fast lane by someone who couldn't stop in time. He isn't sure whether there was another car also involved as he was shaken up.

Hubby is ok.

Today, I need to start looking for a new car. In the past, we have paid about $3000 to $5000 for a used car that we then drive until it falls apart (or whatever). I have always wanted a Smart car, but Hubby thinks we should get something with the same kind of mileage that will carry at least 4 people. Any ideas?

Older Honda accord! Drove one through med school, wasn't a beauty queen but was reliable and got good gas mileage.

Glad your hubby is alright, t bones yield bad results a lot of the time.

Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic, are all good four door choices. Good MPG, reliable, etc.

-Dan

2001 6cyl Camry. They still look like today's fleet, and as a seller of used parts, I rarely am asked for the engine or transmissions for the 6cyl. It is the 4-cyl that get all the action.

Honda is also a good choice.

As with aircraft, be sure to do a thorough pre-buy with your mechanic before finalizing the purchase.

Also do some research At the auto salvage yards near you for availability and cost of small, big, and critical parts. There are many examples of low cost cars having more expensive than expected parts.

Forget about the Smart Car. Just not enough steel to protect the husband and the estate.

You needc autos that regularly give their final measure in the defense of your estate. That would be, Camry, Accord, Civic, and less so: Fit and Corolla.

Ever see one of those tiny smart cars get rammed hard from behind and shoved into the stopped vehicle in front of them by someone in a multi thousand pound SUV/pickup who is in too big of a hurry to stop? If you have, you would NEVER sit in one of those rollerskate death traps. It's extremely bad.

Oh sheesh. Read the safety section of this and ask hubby if he wants to ride in one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)
the Smart went air- borne and turned around 450 degrees" causing "extensive intrusion into the space around the dummy from head to feet"
and:
"The main structure of the car is a stiff structure called a Tridion Safety Cell, which is designed to activate the crumple zones of a colliding vehicle."

Who cares about the crumple zones of the vehicle that is trying to kill you? They might as well replace the steering wheel air bag with a huge steel spike that fires into the seatback.

But hey, they're cute with good mileage and meets DOT safety standards so all is good..as long as you don't get rear ended by a bicycle.

Knock 10% off the price for a lesser brand and pickup a Nissan Altima. Very good car reliability info here: http://www.truedelta.com/ . I am not affiliated with the site. I just like very open approach to how their stats are calculated.

Don't have a car suggestion, just glad to hear your husband is okay Peggy.

Any old Saturn sedan. Every one I owned got me at least 35 mpg on the highway.

As for so-called Smart Cars, I'm told they're very popular with morticians.

Glad your husband is okay.

-Rich

I just bought an old Corolla, just got back from getting it registered. Set me back about $3K.

Any generic, beige car will do.

:D

I'm too much of a car enthusiast to recommend something sensible haha. However, my 2004 330i gets about 25-28 mpg on average (thanks stop-n-go). On the highway, I can average around 30 mpg.

On a much better note, I'm really glad your husband is okay. Drivers on the East Coast corridor on I-95 between D.C. and NYC are morons. All of them.

...Except me.

I worked (and still do part time) as a medic and have worked my share of MVA's and witnessed first hand how different vehicles perform, and how they protect. Given your budget, and more importantly your husbands driving style, I would highly suggest a used Crown Victoria.

Over the years I have seen these cars take some remarkable abuse with minimal injury to the occupants. You can find them used in your price range quite easily, you will discover that most people will have a new desire to drive the speed limit as you approach and getting cut off will be considerably reduced.

I worked (and still do part time) as a medic and have worked my share of MVA's and witnessed first hand how different vehicles perform, and how they protect. Given your budget, and more importantly your husbands driving style, I would highly suggest a used Crown Victoria.

Over the years I have seen these cars take some remarkable abuse with minimal injury to the occupants. You can find them used in your price range quite easily, you will discover that most people will have a new desire to drive the speed limit as you approach and getting cut off will be considerably reduced.

Should he add some spotlights to the A piller? Or set a couple small red boxes on the shelf in front of the rear window? :rofl:

I'm more than happy with my 2002 Ford Focus. You should have no trouble finding one in your price range with reasonable miles on it. And at 55, you will be well over 30MPG.

Hubby might start to drive a wee bit faster as to not make an obstacle of himself. Sorry to be critical, but that's the first thing you do on a bike, when any collision means serious pain and suffering.

I'm an Accord fan. My last one went well over 300,000 miles before I sold it, still running fine. In the time I owned it, the only noteworthy things that were replaced were a door latch and the catalytic converter. I'm also a manual transmission fan - that car still had the original clutch when I sold it.

I vote for an older Toyota Corolla. Those are even more bulletproof than older Civics (permanent timing chain vs. $pensive timing belt replacement.) I put 210,000 miles on one, redlining it every opportunity, shifting it without the clutch, all it needed was gas, oil and tires. Still ran like a champ when I sold it.

FORGET about a Smart car. If you want to go that route maybe the Fiat 500 but Smart cars only get in the mid 30's mileage wise (my Corolla got 40 and it was MUCH more car.) I'd consider one myself if it got 50+ like it should in a vehicle that size.

Crown Vic. Safe, big, comfy, and if you get a used Police Interceptor people will think you're a cop and make a better effort to avoid you.

Hubby might start to drive a wee bit faster as to not make an obstacle of himself. Sorry to be critical, but that's the first thing you do on a bike, when any collision means serious pain and suffering.

Got to agree, poking around is not defensive driving. Neither is speeding of course, but i'd argue that both put you at increased risk.

On the highway I drive slow to save gas. About 65mph. I get passed regularly, but since traffic is usually doing 70-75 a 5-10mph closure rate is something other drivers are used to and can deal with.

Good luck finding a new car. I'd also stay away from the smart car as it is really an oversized golf cart and not safe in the land of 18 wheelers, and suburbans, mini vans.. even a miata would smash the hell out of one.

Crown Vic. Safe, big, comfy, and if you get a used Police Interceptor people will think you're a cop and make a better effort to avoid you.

Unless you're on a two lane highway and they slow to the speed limit in front of you. (Ask me how I know this)

Unless you're on a two lane highway and they slow to the speed limit in front of you. (Ask me how I know this)
Sure, but according to Auntie, Uncle's car is a rolling chicane anyway. I don't think that would bother him at all.

Not that I'm being critical of him driving well under the posted limit in the right lane. If you're going to be a rolling chicane, that's the place to do it. You just have to be prepared to deal with people cutting you off and occasionally hitting you from the rear or side. At least he's not one of those people that feel the need to do 55 in the left lane.

Last edited:
Sure, but according to Auntie, Uncle's car is a rolling chicane anyway. I don't think that would bother him at all.

Not that I'm being critical of him driving well under the posted limit in the right lane. If you're going to be a rolling chicane, that's the place to do it. You just have to be prepared to deal with people cutting you off and occasionally hitting you from the rear or side. At least he's not one of those people that feel the need to do 55 in the left lane.

I was referring to a highway with one lane in each direction.

I was referring to a highway with one lane in each direction.
I know. My point is, it sounds as if there's not much chance he'll be overtaking many people -- especially those not already over the speed limit.

There is some validity to the above. At my salvage yard, I've seen several Crown Vic's and Grand Marq's come in with some serious hits to front, rear, sides, but the passenger compartment remains intact.

Availability of engines/transmissions are reasonable and affordable (I sell the 99 4.6L engines for less than $900 locally, transmissions about $500)

Gas Mileage can be in the middle of the pack, but keep it in good tune and you'll be okay with it.

Should he add some spotlights to the A piller? Or set a couple small red boxes on the shelf in front of the rear window? :rofl:

I'm more than happy with my 2002 Ford Focus. You should have no trouble finding one in your price range with reasonable miles on it. And at 55, you will be well over 30MPG.

If your focus has the SOHC engine, keep it happy. It's a $1500 slam dunk sale for me.

Having bought, sold and maintained a number of cars for our kids as they went through high school and college, I can make a few observations. I know a lot of people are deeply in love with their imports and think anything produced here is a disaster looking for a place to happen, but my experience indicates otherwise.

The Honda, Acura and the Toyota were the biggest nightmares of any vehicles we have ever owned. When they start to fall apart, they go quickly and you're fighting a losing battle trying to replace parts faster than they fail. I can't count the hours I spent replacing water pumps, exhaust (EVERY SINGLE ONE of them), windshield squirt pumps, etc. They were also complete rust buckets, and the seats were a disgrace. The Honda and the Acura came complete with thick files of dealer service receipts for oil changes, transmission rebuilds, the works - so it's not like they had been neglected. Never again.

The last couple we bought for "cheap car" duty were Ford Foci. I think there was a 2000 and a 2002. The 2000 hatchback took an incredible amount of abuse - our youngest had a tendency to over-run curbs and parking lot islands until he got glasses. Both of them were trouble free as long as we owned them. Didn't have to replace exhaust systems, they didn't have any rust, and the interiors weren't falling apart. The younger of the two has something like 80K miles when we bought it, I think the hatchback ZX3 was around 100-110K or so.

Contrarian view here, Peg.

First off, the reason folks recommend Toyotas, Hondas, etc., is because they are generally good. Which is good.

But if you look at the premium they command in the used car market, you can quickly recognize that you pay a lot for the name.

If I were buying a $2,000-$5,000 car (and I have), I'd look harder at how the particular car was maintained.

You can hardly beat the GM V6s (especially the 3.1 and 3.8), and their attached transmissions, for longevity. They tend to be lightly-worked, and endure abuse better than most. My sister has a Chevrolet Lumina which she has abused in the most horrific ways - drives by braille - but while it looks G_d-Awful, it runs like it has not a care. Nearly 200k miles, and it starts and runs smoothly, is ridiculously miserly on gas, and has ice-cold air.

Good cars to look at for relative value include Ford Fusion (good size, excellent mechanicals), Chevy Malibu, Impala (watch for abused fleet cars), Buick Century / LaCrosse (Buicks tend to be oldsters' cars, run less hard).

Avoid VWs - fun to drive, heart-stoppingly costly when they break. Ask me how I know. Or, ask Nate!

But again, look for well-maintained, first.

Glad he's ok. My DD is a 2002 Ford Focus with 5 sp. I get well over 30 MPG and I drive moderately fast but not aggressive. It has it's quirks, but they are low cost and low mx cost cars.

Find one with the ZETEC engine(it's on the cam cover) and the timing belt job already done, or just pay a few hundred to do it and the water pump. They go forever. Current 165k miles, and no major problems.

Why not stick with the "old" car?

I've been driving relatively low mile old cars off Craigslist or Ebay for a number years now in the $4000 range. I tend towards estate vehicles that have been stored ... and simple no PS/PB types since accessories are what tend to break. We have 3 in the family right now. A '64 and two '68s. My high school son gets more attention in his $2K '68 Plymouth with a slant six than any of his peers driving daddy-supplied Beemers.

Here's a few somewhat near you that would seem to fit right in with hubby. The only problem is the number of times the other old farts will stop him to look it over and reminiscence.

Oh... and they're cheaper than snot to fix. $25 fuel pumps vs $350 on my Sierra. Etc.

1974 Buick Regal - $6500 (Newtown)
42k Orig.Miles 2nd Owner, Original Paint, Top and Interior
No Rust Ever, Always Garaged, Mint Condition,
3M73J53Ha5G35F45J7cac5d70160c87da1bfa.jpg

1969 Dodge Dart - $3700 (NEW LONDON)
1969 Dodge Dart, 4 door, 80,000 original miles, all original parts, well cared for, driven by seniors, asking $3,700.00 or best reasonable offer
5L65Ia5Jf3Ff3M63lfca23492256d10ea1343.jpg

1972 Dodge Under 13k original miles - $4800 (Montville)
1972 DODGE DART slant six, automatic, four door sedan. Runs good with just under 13K original miles. New front brakes, always garaged, and never driven in snow.
5I65Nd5Y53If3N33H3c9t8fcba4694a971445.jpg

1975 VW BUS SALMON - $3200 (East Lyme, CT)
In 2003, we rebuilt the entire motor; pistons, heads, crank etc and at the moment only has about 8,000 miles on it. We did the brakes, replaced the fuel pump, repacked VW joints, replaced voltage regulator etc etc.
5N85Kc5M83K93F53lcc9p9eb806ab14ac1410.jpg

Yesterday Hubby was involved in a 3- or 4-car pileup. He drives about 55 in the slow lane of the three lane highway to go home from work. Naturally, that is too slow for most people, so he is constantly cut off by those who need to get home a little sooner. Yesterday one cut just a little too short and clipped his car, which then spun and careened across the highway where he was t-boned in the fast lane by someone who couldn't stop in time. He isn't sure whether there was another car also involved as he was shaken up.

Hubby is ok.

Today, I need to start looking for a new car. In the past, we have paid about $3000 to $5000 for a used car that we then drive until it falls apart (or whatever). I have always wanted a Smart car, but Hubby thinks we should get something with the same kind of mileage that will carry at least 4 people. Any ideas?

Glad Hubby is Ok, How far do you have to go? My buddy is reporting good results and huge savings with his Mitsubishi electric car and it's a 4 door 4 seat with in his words impressive performance, and he is one of my hot rod buddies from way back. He also says it has enough room to carry his guitars and stage gear to shows.

Smart is a good choice in safety, same buddy used to have Honda Insight and got 50mpg.

Avoid VWs - fun to drive, heart-stoppingly costly when they break. Ask me how I know. Or, ask Nate!
Maybe true if you take it to a shop and give them a blank check. Older VW's are ridiculously easy to work on, and parts are available from all sorts of aftermarket places. My rabbit diesel has started using a little oil and the clutch is getting soft. Every quarter million miles I guess that's to be expected. It still gets 53mpg.

Maybe true if you take it to a shop and give them a blank check. Older VW's are ridiculously easy to work on, and parts are available from all sorts of aftermarket places. My rabbit diesel has started using a little oil and the clutch is getting soft. Every quarter million miles I guess that's to be expected. It still gets 53mpg.

I had a old Rabbit Diesel truck way back that I would love back.:yes: I grew up working on all that at a used car dealership.

I had a old Rabbit Diesel truck way back that I would love back.:yes: I grew up working on all that at a used car dealership.
I have 2, one to drive now and one later. The silver one has >700k miles so it needs a little work, i pulled it out of a muddy field in iowa. Pretty tired but the shock towers aren't rusted and everything else is a snap to fix. We're an all-vw family.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • under tow.jpg
    under tow.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 11
  • cabrio-2.jpg
    cabrio-2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 12
I'm going to throw another thought into the fray... full sized pickup truck or SUV. If you can afford the gas. I'm a truck fan.

No one wants them, since they're both fuel inefficient and that's a social pariah issue these days (ask any teenager), so they're dirt cheap and piled up on used lots right now, and you can pick one up that was beautifully cared for and has almost no mileage if you look around.

Mass wins in accidents. If hubby doesn't mind that he squashed the humans in the car. LOL. Dad's been in multiple accidents in his Tahoe and Suburban (yes, he has one of each, no they're not new... the Suburban is very old, and he recently sold the Tahoe) and where he drives home with a dent in a bumper, the other car is totaled.

It'll be a very long time before I can kill the 5.3L Chevy V8 in my GMC Yukon. The transmission, ahh... it's a Chevy, so it'll eventually go out... but it'll cost virtually nothing to rebuild or replace with used/new. (Spike's comments about the V6 and their mated transmissions in the GM cars is accurate though, most of those are bulletproof... pour more ATF in them and keep burning them up, they'll keep the car moving -- the V8/truck transmissions, you really want the heavy-duty versions, or just plan to rebuild them somewhere around 150K miles).

And in the meantime for typical "cheap pilot prices"...

I've got a nice sized V8 for power, 4x4, fancy 17" wheels that look nice, leather captains chairs that ride like a La-Z-Boy, Bose sound system, dual zone heat/cool plus rear A/C and heat for any passengers that they can set themselves, XM, all the goodies.

It's also really hard to lose it in a parking lot. You can see it above everything else. LOL.

As mentioned above, the downside is the fuel to operate it. I just enjoy the "luxury" ride and figure I'm paying for it partially at the pump. Someone paid well over $35K for this truck, brand new and that was in 2004. Don't let your jaw hit the floor if you look at today's prices on a similarly equipped model. (It's an SLT custom-ordered with all of the options available including the different gearing for the rear-end for towing, oil cooler, yadda yadda... basically it's a Denali in SLT clothing minus the screwy air-ride system that was standard on the Denali in '04 -- someone knew they didn't want to tow with that stupid air shock/ride system).

I can't tell ya how cheap I got this thing a few years ago. I was driving past a Ford dealer, saw that they had 6 GM Yukons on the lot, and had seen the specs on all of them on their website when I was hunting. I knew the one I now have had all the goodies installed. I walked in, told them what I would pay for it, and waited for them to say yes. They wanted it OFF their Ford lot.

I have 2, one to drive now and one later. The silver one has >700k miles so it needs a little work, i pulled it out of a muddy field in iowa. Pretty tired but the shock towers aren't rusted and everything else is a snap to fix. We're an all-vw family.

Hmmm... Peoria... Wanna sell one of those trucks? Would be a good excuse to drop in on Bruce and refresh my medical.

In my opinion the Smart Car is not so smart. I bought my wife a Toyota Echo (now replaced by a nearly identical one called Yaris.)

The Yaris gets better mileage than the SM, seats four comfortably, is larger and a bit safer therefore, and is supported by all the Toyota dealerships in the county, something that the SM may not have. Also the Yaris costs A LOT LESS than the SM.
FWIW...oh I also have a Toyota Corolla that gives me 40mpg on the highway. Also a Jeep Wrangler for when the snow gets too deep.

Back