I can see why some potential students give up flying.

It is interesting to me that two of the best CFIs that I encountered were 19 year olds (one male, one female). Both were calm but firm and confident. And the absolute worst was in his 60s. He was the yeller, and seemed unsure of his ability -- a year later I learned he'd sold his training aircraft and was no longer teaching.

You're comparing landing with a tailwind to jumping off a bridge? Saying its a emergency only option? You know there are quite a few one way in one way out fields where it's common to have a little tailwind.

Landing with a tailwind isn't that big of a deal, however it is something some inexperienced might not show a student, and something students might build a irrational fear over, much the boogieman base/final stall spin.

Go up with a good CFI and do some tailwind stuff, it's really nowhere near as bad as you think it is.

You are probably right. I learned in flatland Florida, from what I've seen not too many one way in and out places. I would probably have to do some mountain flying which would be pretty exciting in my mind!

It is interesting to me that two of the best CFIs that I encountered were 19 year olds (one male, one female). Both were calm but firm and confident. And the absolute worst was in his 60s. He was the yeller, and seemed unsure of his ability -- a year later I learned he'd sold his training aircraft and was no longer teaching.

It's probably a personality thing because I've seen an 80 year old CFI who is really good but not taking anymore new people.

I would venture to guess your experience is an anomaly and that most people's experience would be the opposite. I know that my personal experience has been that the top few CFIs I had were 40 or older and the worst were in their 20s.

Yep, I know it can be done. Jumping off of the Brooklyn Bridge can be done too but why would you do it unless an emergency?
There are some airports where you can only land in one direction, due to terrain.

Some POHs give data on how much a tailwind of a certain strength lengthens the landing distance, so it's not a forbidden maneuver. I wouldn't want to do it in a stronger tailwind than they give data for, however.

You're not that odd...

My primary instructor was definitely too timid. I had to tell her at one point that I was a musician and hearing something sucked when it did was entirely expected, and built credibility. I always felt she was trying hard not to offend, to the point where it started to interfere. My instrument instructor was much better.
Reminds me of orchestra conductors. My favorites are the ones who know how to make demands without being an ***hole.

Reminds me of orchestra conductors. My favorites are the ones who know how to make demands without being an ***hole.
I like that analogy...
Because while I never "yelled at the student", I would get extremely animated. That may sound wrong reading the written explanation, but I truly think it works live. I.e... landing: back! Back! Back! Don't let it land!! Yes!!!!

I like that analogy...
Because while I never "yelled at the student", I would get extremely animated. That may sound wrong reading the written explanation, but I truly think it works live. I.e... landing: back! Back! Back! Don't let it land!! Yes!!!!
One of the lessons I've never forgotten was when my CFII emphatically said "NEVER descend without course guidance!" (I had just started descending - in actual - before the VOR needle came off the peg.)

Why would you want to land with a tailwind?
Sometimes traffic or Tower constrains it, or perhaps terrain or runway slope.

If I land at Watsonville in low IMC, I'm virtually guaranteed a tailwind.

A light tailwind should not be a problem, except on a short obstructed runway. You just have to know what it does and compensate.

I used to land at a private strip in Alaska. There was a turn in the runway because of the mountain on one side and the river on the other side which made seeing the opposite end impossible to see when on the ground. We called it the banana strip.

The wind socks on the ends of the runway always pointed to each other. So take offs were started with a tail wind, and landings were always with a tail wind. Midday winds were usually in the 15 to 20 range.

It was a fun little strip.

Just wanted to update you guys on what I found out about the rogue CFI. I saw him today and he was talking to another CFI about how bad students are. It's kind of like Elizabeth Taylor, If you have been in a divorce 8 times, when are you going to realize that YOU are the problem.

He still busy as ever though, and people say GA is dead....:rolleyes:

You're lucky indeed, how long ago did you get your primary? Most CFI's today are looking to get into the airlines and are not teaching very long.

1994. I didn't realize how fortunate I was at the time, but the flight school was well run, and I was my instructor's first student. His goal was to build hours, and ratings, and go corporate pilot, not airlines. So I caught him early, and knocked it out pretty quickly, and thus was able to have the same instructor.

Easiest way to avoid an instructor bailing on you is to just use an old/retired guy. There were tons of them when I was in DC. I had the same instructor for my PPL and IFR. There are several around me now in MS as well. There are more options out there than your local big box flight school.

I found three things helped me overcome a dwindling desire to keep going, especially after an unsatisfying hour. It's true, some instructors have been faultless and incredibly attentive to detail. It's also true that some have been careless and ambivalent i.e. it's your time and money, so it's your fault syndrome.

The first thing that started to change my attitude was a) flying with different instructors - at first I was reticent, then realised it was a valuable learning. Then b) chair flying, I would arrive at the airfield early and sit the aircraft and pretend I was airborne and simulated the steps. This made a big difference in terms of feeling comfortable with instrument location and remember what and when whilst figuring out confined movement in cockpit with the map. And then c) if you treat flight sim seriously, it can become an invaluable tool when learning, even circuit practice alone is great practice. In hindsight, I should have done more of all three and earlier on in the training. This helped end the bad 'air day's on a positive :)

I'm running into a new problem...instructor availability. I'm trying to get checked out in more locations/airplanes by the flight school I am renting from and there just aren't enough instructors. Forget about weekends. Even during the week is difficult. No way I'll be able to train for an IR with instructor availability like this.

To further my last post, how long ago were you in DC and do you know if any of the instructors you knew are still at it? It would be fantastic to find someone with their own plane or who will instruct in an owners plane for when I buy one and want to get my IR, FRs, etc.

Easiest way to avoid an instructor bailing on you is to just use an old/retired guy. There were tons of them when I was in DC. I had the same instructor for my PPL and IFR. There are several around me now in MS as well. There are more options out there than your local big box flight school.

Yes. HJ Aviation at KVKX is where I learned. I flew in there last week and chatted with George. There's several instructors there that are older and not time building.

He's currently got a Cherokee 140 and an Archer at the school. I think the Archer is $135 an hour wet.

Incidentally, I saw a CFI the other day freak out because someone on their intro flight *almost* stepped on the left wing of the Piper to help take the cover off

I would venture to guess your experience is an anomaly and that most people's experience would be the opposite. I know that my personal experience has been that the top few CFIs I had were 40 or older and the worst were in their 20s.
Same here. The worst CFIs I had were very young guys strictly trying to build time. The whole experience didn't feel genuine and the feedback received didn't sink in. My two best CFIs were older folks (in their 50s or older) who flew because they loved flying. These guys would also let me "mess up" a little just enough so I could learn from the mistake. IE, rather than start having an anxiety attack the minute you came a little uncoordinated in a stall wait for you to realize it, or for that wing to drop!

No way I'll be able to train for an IR with instructor availability like this.
Have you thought about just taking a week off work and booking an instructor for a whole week? I feel like with instrument instruction you need to either dive in and get it done, or wait. Taking a 1 hr lesson every week or two for me at least things don't stick as well. You may have to schedule a few weeks, or even months out, but that's my plan. I've got someone booked for an entire week in September. In the meantime I'm studying and building the XC time... hopefully take and pass the written July / Aug. Weather is less of a concern I feel like, worst case scenario you get to practice your maneuvers in actual, or at least get some actual time while you climb on top. I would love to get as much actual time as possible during training. I have heard of too many pilots who get IR but then are afraid to use it in clouds =/

Back