Hyd leak under cabin fuselage on piper Apache pa23-150

robertthoyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cowboy
Leak is coming from panel with 80 screws. Below front two seats. Any suggestions. Is there any issues to remove large panel.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4447.jpeg
    IMG_4447.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
You sure that’s hydraulic fluid? Appears to be something else. Regardless, I’d probably start with pulling the front seats and carpet to gain access for inspection. I found the carpet in an Aztec saturated with hydraulic fluid once. Source was a leaking line in the left sidewall panel and also a leak behind the manual gear/flap pump handle.

Well the fluid looks like oil but there are no oil lines running thru fuselage.

The only liquids fuel and hyd. That I know of. The over pressure relief come out of the rear nose wheel well . I clean that and it has remain clean.

Remember, engine oil is like monkey grass it spreads everywhere.

Leak is coming from panel with 80 screws. Below front two seats. Any suggestions. Is there any issues to remove large panel.
Are you an A&P? Have you read the appendix for Preventative Maintenance and find that you can accomplish the task? Sounds like you need to pay to have that looked at. A gear malfunction can be a LOT more expensive than the A&P.

Very good chance the power pack is leaking. This is not an amateurs job, and if you proceed and screw up count on it going really bad.

Yes I have IA looking over my shoulder giving me advice!

Isn’t the Brake and Hydraulic System Reservoirs in that area?

Could they have been overfilled?

It’s been a while but I seem to recall the landing gear must be up

to properly service the Rez. Will it puke out if done incorrectly?

Are all IAs A&Ps?

Hmmm.

Since a lot of IA’s are ROGs ( real old guys) it just might be possible

that someone might not be an A&P ( Airframe & Powerplant).

Could they still be an A&E ( Aircraft and Engine aka Anything & Everything?)

Would they have been required to change during the CAA- FAA transition?

Could they still be an A&E ( Aircraft and Engine aka Anything & Everything?)
FYI: if the only certificate that is in your pocket is paper and says "A&E" then you still can't practice as an IA since your mechanic certificate has been invalid since 2014 or so. Technically we're all certified mechanics with airframe and powerplant ratings.

Back