Hurricane Michael's aftermath on Fighter jets

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by FloridaPilot, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloridaPilot

FloridaPilot Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FloridaStudentPilot
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/us/air-force-hurricane-michael-damage.html

I didn't know a few things about Tyndall Airforce Base:

#1. Each F22 costs 339 Million Dollars

#2. They actually "Part" out airplanes for other working airplanes.

#3. (IMO Most important) 49% of the fighters were mission ready at any given time. What if we were invaded do you think we are ready to handle a conflict?

2. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    #1 way too much.

#2 most fleet owners do the same thing.

#3 yes, if all of the assets we have abroad were here instead.

3. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Given that our military budget is larger then the next 10 largest military budgets combined, it would seem that we should have the assets.

Also, to invade and establish a beach head, one would need air superiority. Given that we have more large aircraft carriers than the rest of the world combined, that would be pretty hard to accomplish.

(China has more bodies in their military, but no way to get them here. Russia has more tanks, but again, no way to get them here.)

4. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    \
    Sure they do. It would take a while for the Chinese to move their soldiers to Mexico and send them across the border, but that is a way.
    Russian tanks would be harder, but as long as they embed them in a column of refugees, we wouldn't attack them for fear of "collateral" damage.

5. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    Yeah, that’s what they thought in Red Dawn. Didn’t work out so well, did it?

woodchucker likes this.
  6. FloridaPilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    FloridaStudentPilot
    But parting out a 339 Million dollar airplane?

Might be true but they're spread out all over the world, just because our budget is bigger that doesn't necessarily mean effectiveness either.

7. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Well it's not like it was their money

8. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Its called cannibalization and it happens all the time with military jets. Rather have one flyable using parts from another than two un-flyable.

Zeldman and TCABM like this.
  9. jesse

jesse Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse
    lol, you don’t think we’re going to notice China moving massive quantities of military troops and hardware to Mexico? Those troops and that hardware would never make it to Mexican shores. This isn’t 1941 - you can’t hide a fleet in the pacific anymore.

That’s not how a major power will attack us. There are better ways, like destabilizing our society.

Dav8or and Cykoguy like this.
  10. FloridaPilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    FloridaStudentPilot
    But the question remains....How come we can't produce parts for a 339 Million dollar airplane? that we produced here in the US?

11. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    We can and we do. The extra parts go where they're needed most but there isn't an unlimited supply. So, supply can order a part and wait for it to come in, OR you can cann a part off of a hangar queen and have it now.

mscard88 and TCABM like this.
  12. SkyDog58

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    Yeah, like helping a total misfit get elected.

Dav8or and woodchucker like this.
  13. JOhnH

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    True, but he was replaced after 8 years.

14. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Oh you mean like 9-11, an event that changed the way we live on a fundamental level to this day...

15. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    1. MIC and economies of scale (188 vs 700 aircraft). Or as Henning would say, “greed.”

2. They still get new / overhauled parts but it’s far cheaper to cannibalize. Marines are doing that now, taking parts from old Navy Legacy Hornets to keep their fleet flying...barely.

3. Redundancy. F-22s only make up one piece of the puzzle. Plenty of other fighter aircraft to pick up the slack.

Deployed rates are far greater than stateside rates also. The ones that are being used for combat are going to be well over that 49 % figure. Our helicopters on deployment were pushing over 90 % MC while back home that number drops to around 60-70 %. The more advanced the aircraft, the less MC rates.

16. kyleb

kyleb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    This is two unrelated stories:

1) Poor, poor planning by the AF. Why in the world would you put 50+ of one of your most valuable assets in hurricane territory without the ability to safely house them?

2) The AF has bought another weapon system that it can't afford to support (either through technicians or the parts supply chain).

Just pitiful.

17. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Thank Goodness he is gone now.

bflynn, Trevor3431, Grum.Man and 3 others like this.
  18. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    IBTL!

--break break--

Regarding the decision to stage the 5th gen fighter mission out of Tyndall? LOL Ah children. Occam's Razor. It was the light grey school house, so it became the Raptor one as well. No conspiracy here. It's not our only center of operations for the 5th gen A-A mission set.

Now to the real question being asked: Aka why and how we pick our geographic locations wrt mission set? A lot of you will be very underwhelmed to find out most are in fact not picked in the interest of airspace nor strategic reasons as one would hope. Rather, it almost always comes down to simpleton and ol' fashion military industrial graft. Congressional districts food fight all the time in order to secure military mission sets that bring personnel, civilian support jobs, and a tax base level otherwise not attainable by organic means in said area. Ask me how I know. I did 8 years hard labor in hell precisely for that reason. Lost one marriage, several relationships, and almost didn't get to start a family over it. It's anything but costless.

When it came to the Raptor, the community wanted out of holloman right yesterday. Look at what they did with AFSOC when they moved the assets to Cannon. Huge exodus of talent and combat experience. But the DOD doesn't like to admit they suffer incredible retention losses as a function of these bonehead undesirable geographic basing decisions (it offends flyover Country people). Doesn't mean it isn't the #1 reason their LDHD assets are always redlined, nevemind the UAV boondoggle that can actually technically be run out of sunny Hawaii and avoid swing shifts back CONUS for eff sake. I digress.

Of course, they'll also speak out both sides of their mouth and use said undesirable locations to push senior folks into making fight or flight decisions when close to an Active Duty retirement. Places like Minot are front and center to that dynamic, where at the height of the 07/08 nuke boondoggle, had as high as a 7:1 attrition ratio to fill one measely spot. Complete tone deafness, but hell is "what you make of it" I'm told. Yeah, tell that to my family... And I digress again (this topic may be a sore spot for me lol).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Eric Stoltz likes this.
  19. kyleb

kyleb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Put the airplanes and people where you want. But if you're in hurricane territory, have the ability to evacuate them or house them in a hurricane safe hangar. Ain't hard. And how/why don't you have the parts in the supply chain to keep the birds flying? I'd understand if 2 were stranded, but 22? Complete ineptitude.

As far as congressional districts go, the military industrial complex is full of that. Last I read, the F-35 (or was it the -22... doesn't matter) was being built in something like 35 states. That gets you a lot of congressional votes and <probably> doubles the ultimate cost because of all of the extra overhead needed to house and manage the divvied up project, and then deal with all of the logistics. Insanity.

20. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Not just the AF though. Last year the Navy had to leave 71 T-45s to ride out Harvey. 2015 NAS Kingsville was flooded with T-6s sitting on the ramp. We left dozens of helos in non hurricane proof hangars at Ft Rucker during hurricane threats. It’s a branch wide issue that the bean counters don’t take into consideration until a Michael comes along.

Lack of money / support isn’t germane to the AF. One of the reasons pilots are getting out is lack of flying hours. No money to keep them at appropriate readiness levels. Osprey MC rates are just as bad. I know a guy in USMC Reserves that got a whopping 8 hrs in the Osprey last year. That’s not readiness or proficiency.

Morgan3820, hindsight2020 and kyleb like this.
  21. Sundancer

Sundancer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sundog
    Old story, re-writ each decade. I remember USAF "depots" open in the 70s snd 80s for no earthly reason, other than welfare jobs for the locals. Even reducing combat wings to fund maintenance facilities we didn't need, then needed them even less.

hindsight2020 likes this.
  22. JOhnH

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    Elections are in two weeks. I wonder who I will vote for that might actually look into fixing problems like this.

Of course I realize the likelihood of that happening are low, but which side might actually consider beefing up our readiness level?

23. Salty

Salty En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    We are being invaded. We’re just ignoring it.

4524D6DC-30FF-431B-9E7F-769E3D5ECA50.jpeg

24. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Like using social media against us to create an alternate reality.

Zeldman likes this.
  25. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    That's exactly what that is.

26. JOhnH

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    That could never happen. It would take too long to organize and we would notice it.

27. Skibum44

Skibum44 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skibum44
    Working construction on AF bases for the over 15 years I would say they have produced tons of jobs. I will say after working on them for that long the Bureaucrats haven’t been the best at spending the money. Could have done it a lot cheaper and efficiently. I could say the same for the LIOs, schools, government buildings, public utility buildings and everything that the state government builds. The only ones that do it efficiently and on a budget are private property owners spending their “own” money. The military isn’t the only one abusing our tax payer dollars or revenue that is bought with Monopoly money (public utilities).

As far as the red dawn comment... it’s a movie.

Yes we are currently being invaded from the south. What a joke!

Edit: and not just from the folks making their way from Guatemala. They are coming in everyday in huge numbers.

28. SkyDog58

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    You will need to wait two years, not two weeks if you want any real positive change.

jkaduk likes this.
  29. jkaduk

jkaduk Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    John Kaduk
    Who's we? This is on the news 24/7. IBTL

30. SkyDog58

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    Well at least the Irish and Italians aren’t flooding in like they used to. Those were some horrible times for this country.

:eek:

31. Pilots Of America Management

Pilots Of America Management MC Announcements and Communication Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilots of America Management
    Thread locked. If one person is determined to get banned/warned that does not mean that it opens up the discussion for everyone else to pile on. Politics are NOT permitted EVEN IF someone has already opened the flood gates. Stay out of it. If you really don't like (or even agree with) something someone posted, report the post rather than getting involved. Warnings have been issued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.