Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Guy says he lost power... airport 3 miles away... reaches airport but finds himself "perpendicular" to the runway, so ""just before touchdown I kicked the rudder hard right to "aline" on runway 29. My right main hit first, I turned the Yoke full left and applied right "break" got the left main down and landed safely""

Guy says he lost power... airport 3 miles away... reaches airport but finds himself "perpendicular" to the runway, so ""just before touchdown I kicked the rudder hard right to "aline" on runway 29. My right main hit first, I turned the Yoke full left and applied right "break" got the left main down and landed safely""
I don't know about stepping on the right brake before the left tire gets down but it could have happened and been counted as some pretty good airmanship.

I think the key is the interpretation of "just before touchdown." I'm on base "just before touchdown" and kick in a little rudder and aileron to make it to the runway. I could see this guy a little lower and closer and getting 85% of the turn before touchdown and the last 15% using the brake.

I think the key is the interpretation of "just before touchdown." I'm on base "just before touchdown" and kick in a little rudder and aileron to make it to the runway. I could see this guy a little lower and closer and getting 85% of the turn before touchdown and the last 15% using the brake.
I'm not sure that matters.... The key words are "Perpendicular"... And "Kicked Hard Right Rudder to align with the runway." So question is...A 90 degree heading change, just before touchdown, with only rudder?

I suspect most women would find a story like that disenchanting.

My wife prefers stories of flying that don’t require luck or remarkable skill to survive.
I'm not...oops, I mean 6PC is not trying to impress your wife...

Why would someone make up something like that?

Got it off a facebook post...who knows who lurks among those curmudgeons? He hasn't responded since I called him on it so maybe it was a kid who had a high stress episode on Xplane... IDK...but he portrayed himself as a c172 pilot...

I'm not sure that matters.... The key words are "Perpendicular"... And "Kicked Hard Right Rudder to align with the runway." So question is...A 90 degree heading change, just before touchdown, with only rudder?

Just because he didn't say he used aileron doesn't mean he didn't. He does land on one wheel so he had to use aileron.

Got it off a facebook post...who knows who lurks among those curmudgeons? He hasn't responded since I called him on it so maybe it was a kid who had a high stress episode on Xplane... IDK...but he portrayed himself as a c172 pilot...
I dunno. Doing the right turn with rudder only don't seem right but something like that can happen. I did something pretty damn close to that. I had a long talk with myself after and won't do it again. It was at the AOPA flyin at KPWT. The "tower," not really the tower but they did everything a tower does except say "cleared" was askin for short approaches and wanting long landings. Like the touch down at that dot up yonder towards the end at Oshkosh thing. I was on base right at the numbers, high, slipping it on right base, left rudder, right aileron. Turned a very, very close in tight final, coordinated now, rolling wings level not more than a wingspan above the runway. Then held there until touching down a couple thousand feet down the runway to exit at the end. So other than the turn to align with the runway being done with only rudder, I can believe it.

Just because he didn't say he used aileron doesn't mean he didn't. He does land on one wheel so he had to use aileron.
I'm not going to get into a pZZing contest... It is what it is...believe it or not, that's the reason for the poll... you do, I don't... :rolleyes:

There is a private landing strip in Alaska I used to go to that is one way in, one way out strip. If for some reason the other way is needed for landing, the turn from base to final is done almost over the end of the runway at about 10 feet, and when the wings roll level the wheels will be on the ground or there won't be enough room to stop.

Go arounds are not an option on the normal way in.

My first time going in the other way did make me feel a little uneasy because of the wind, but the wind was actually helpful for the short field.

Not really. Most planes will bank with rudder application.

My chief pilot says the rudder is way more effective than the ailerons at slow airspeed.

There is a private landing strip in Alaska I used to go to that is one way in, one way out strip. If for some reason the other way is needed for landing, the turn from base to final is done almost over the end of the runway at about 10 feet, and when the wings roll level the wheels will be on the ground or there won't be enough room to stop.

Go arounds are not an option on the normal way in.

My first time going in the other way did make me feel a little uneasy because of the wind, but the wind was actually helpful for the short field.

What in the name of Odin is a that strip that would make one wish to go through all that?

I'd say someone is exaggerating. We live in a world where everything is hyped to the nth degree.
It is at the point where "Literally" is almost always followed by fiction.
"I literally died laughing when 6PC got undressed"

This dude probably landed with a crosswind and embellished to make the story a story.
I'm just guessing. I think if he landed on 1 main with the force of the plane going forward and managed to pivot 90 degrees, that main is coming off for starters. That's a lot of inertia.

Maybe he was already slipping to get down and he didn't need more aileron, just kick the rudder the other way.

Not even nearly enough facts provided to say whether the event happened or not. What type of plane, who's the pilot, where was the wind, what airport, etc. But if it was found on the Internet, is always safe to assume the story is at least embellished.

That's a lot of momentum.

What in the name of Odin is a that strip that would make one wish to go through all that?

That is where someone wanted to put a fishing/hunting lodge, and that was the only area that was flat enough to start landing on. The lodge provided boat transportation to cross the river to actually get to the lodge.

And the cook.... she was not very easy to look at, but man could she cook...

That is where someone wanted to put a fishing/hunting lodge, and that was the only area that was flat enough to start landing on. The lodge provided boat transportation to cross the river to actually get to the lodge.

To go through everything you described that cook would have to be drop dead gorgeous, and her cooking could easily be horrid indeed. The only way I'd go through that would be for the fringe benefits... I certainly wouldn't go through all that to kill innocent animals.

To go through everything you described that cook would have to be drop dead gorgeous, and her cooking could easily be horrid indeed. The only way I'd go through that would be for the fringe benefits... I certainly wouldn't go through all that to kill innocent animals.
One-way strips can be a good challenge. I suspect they weren't much of a challenge for a guy flying everyday. We've got a few out here in Colorado and they are good for keeping the skills sharp...or an insurance claim.

The food was always worth landing there.....

Landing in the normal one way in, take off was in the opposite direction and was just as normal as landing on any slightly curved dirt road.

And I just flew the plane to drop off/pick up clients whose out door clothing probably cost as much as the plane I was flying....

So you're saying the cook was a butcher?

Back